Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should a 99 Z-28 beat a 00 SS?

This is a discussion on Should a 99 Z-28 beat a 00 SS? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 2000SLP And i think mine should be lighter, my whole front end is fiberglass, his is not. ...

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SLP View Post
    And i think mine should be lighter, my whole front end is fiberglass, his is not. My fenders,hood, and front facia are all fiberglass. We have the same interior.
    This is not necessarily true. Due to the fact that the fiberglass has to be thicker to maintain the same structural integrity as steel it could actually be heavier. Knowing that Camaros have composite fiber plastic fenders and nose this may be incorrect but sheetmetal is thinner and lighter than glass. Carbon fiber is an other story all together.

teal
    1998z28m6- 1999z28a4

fenders and front bumper are plastic hood is fiberglass on ss z28 hood is metal.how much do each of u weigh and do both cars have same amount of gas.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS SLP M6

well we went to the scales and we couldnt weigh them. they had the scales blocked. the fuel is a good point. he put the stock MAF back on yesterday, so that should help. we are starting to tune the cars. it is a steep learning curve.

Blue
    99 Camaro Z28

its MAF, not MAS also a tune up is not tuning the car.

black
    2002 Z28

if u have the plate in ur exhuast that's a couple of mile an hour i had a 95 TA with the borla catback and gained 2MPH with unplugging it

SOM
    2002 SS

More than likely It's the exhaust, possibly one filter dirtier than the other or just a more worked in motor with a little less friction. My advice would be to take off that maff. Pull out your video camera, pee on it. douse it in gas and light it on fire. then put the video on youtube proclaiming What needs to happen to all granatelli mafs. They are a complete waste of money. The engineering and calibrating that goes into a stock maf is completely overlooked.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Weight makes a bigger difference at low speeds, even 100lbs really isn't going to matter at the top of 4th gear on the highway. My bet is on your exhaust not resonating as well as his in the top rpm range due to the plate. Take it out, it's not that hard, then go to the highway and see if it makes the difference, then reinstall it afterward.
    Last edited by JAGUAR5822; 08-26-2009 at 11:28 PM.

White
    1998 Camaro Z28

There are many many many issues that this could be. I would say there are probably 4 that stand out. Weight - make the SS hood and body may weigh a little less, but driver weight will play a part as well. Tires - tire type and psi will ALWAYS play a role. Exhaust - you plate will play a role limiting exhaust flow will limit speed. Transmission - depending on how quickly you shift will play a part as well as wear on the clutch...transmission oil dirty or clean, when you shift. Just cause you go to the redline doesn't mean your getting the most power from the engine, you really should only go to the top of the torque curve that's where you'll get the most power.

Regardless there's a lot that can play a factor these are just a few of my thoughts.

-nmp

white
    2000 Z28

if your car isnt tuned for that aftermarket maf it will actually hurt performance more than help. get both cars cleaned up(full tune-up) and make sure the tires are comparable condition and size. brakes are in good condition. just pretty much make sure that all maintainance is done and done right. the only difference is the maf really. gears dont make a difference if they are both stock. all m6's come with 3:42s.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

You said you had diff air filters. What air filter is he runnin?

My guess would still be the MAF. I just put my stock one back in after runnin back to back test.

It could be the spoiler. The SS spoiler has more drag.

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

..try some octane boost..that could be the difference..but don't tell anybody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information