Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

short shifter

This is a discussion on short shifter within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; can i buy a ws6 short stick... mount it on the stock shifter assembly?...

  1. #21
    Member Darkrider02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    267

    Black
    2002

    can i buy a ws6 short stick... mount it on the stock shifter assembly?

  2. #22
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider02 View Post
    can i buy a ws6 short stick... mount it on the stock shifter assembly?
    Yea but they have this on their site...

    Not only will this shaft work with the stock and stock Hurst shifters, it will also work with many different aftermarket shifters as well, including: Hurst Billet Plus, Pro 5.0, SLP, & Kirban.

    *PLEASE NOTE: When installing this short stick on cars equipped with the base non-Hurst shifter, it may touch the console trim ring in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears. This has not been a problem with the stock Hurst equipped cars or cars with an aftermarket shifter (Pro 5.0, Hurst Billet Plus, SLP)

  3. #23
    Member Darkrider02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    267

    Black
    2002

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Yea but they have this on their site...

    Not only will this shaft work with the stock and stock Hurst shifters, it will also work with many different aftermarket shifters as well, including: Hurst Billet Plus, Pro 5.0, SLP, & Kirban.

    *PLEASE NOTE: When installing this short stick on cars equipped with the base non-Hurst shifter, it may touch the console trim ring in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears. This has not been a problem with the stock Hurst equipped cars or cars with an aftermarket shifter (Pro 5.0, Hurst Billet Plus, SLP)
    will it make a difference in ET or no? and when they say it hits the console trim... how can i prevent it from hitting?
    Last edited by Darkrider02; 04-29-2010 at 06:19 PM.

  4. #24
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Here's mine. Factory Hurst shifter with the ws6store short stick. I got mine cause my Hurst stick kept getting loose and had to keep tightening it about every 2 weeks and i didn't like the spongy feel to it either.

    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    had the same thing. mine vibrated and rattled like crazy!!!!

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    modded factory shifter. cut out bent, welded, cleaned and painted it. works awesome. i bought a short stick and it rattled and vibrated like crazy because it didnt have the rubber bushing.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    oh, and its free.......
    Excellent MP. I was going to bring this up as I've done this very mod to a few other 4th gens as well as my wifes car. Very simple to do and as you said,,,,free. I'm actually very surprised that others haven't caught on to this.

    And as you said, the aftermarket stuff does transmit more noise and vibrate. I've had the Billet Hurst and wasn't very happy, wifey hated it. Current car has the factory Hurst and couldn't be happier.

  6. #26
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider02 View Post
    will it make a difference in ET or no? and when they say it hits the console trim... how can i prevent it from hitting?
    I didn't notice if mine actually made a difference in ET times, honestly i just got it cause like i said my Hurst stick kept getting loose and was annoying. I did think about cutting my stock Hurst to make it look nice but that wasn't gonna fix the problem of it getting loose all the time. Plus for $25 it wasn't much anyways and it looks pretty cool and even better with the Hurst leather handle but i switch mine every now and then to prevent wear and tear. I don't know how you could prevent it from hitting the console, i doubt it'll hit real bad

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by bgon99ss View Post
    anyone tried the MGW?? and is it better than the 5.0??
    Yes I have it and IMO it's better than the 5.0. Very positive shifts, centering and looks great especially with their shift knob it's just a little pricey, but mine was a gift from the GF. I've let a couple of other people drive me car and all the feedback has been extremely positive.

    I will try and post some pics of it in the car later tonight.

  8. #28
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I didn't notice if mine actually made a difference in ET times, honestly i just got it cause like i said my Hurst stick kept getting loose and was annoying. I did think about cutting my stock Hurst to make it look nice but that wasn't gonna fix the problem of it getting loose all the time. Plus for $25 it wasn't much anyways and it looks pretty cool and even better with the Hurst leather handle but i switch mine every now and then to prevent wear and tear. I don't know how you could prevent it from hitting the console, i doubt it'll hit real bad
    getting loose at the base where it bolts to the transmission, or the knob was loose? bc my knob was loose but i just put a touch loctite on it and never had another problem.

  9. #29
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Yes I have it and IMO it's better than the 5.0. Very positive shifts, centering and looks great especially with their shift knob it's just a little pricey, but mine was a gift from the GF. I've let a couple of other people drive me car and all the feedback has been extremely positive.

    I will try and post some pics of it in the car later tonight.
    It honestly doesn't matter what shifter you go with, as long as it has overthrow stoppers built in. That is what is going to save your ass on paying for trans parts.

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    It honestly doesn't matter what shifter you go with, as long as it has overthrow stoppers built in. That is what is going to save your ass on paying for trans parts.
    I have never heard of anyone having an issue with over shifting in a modern transmission. I have yet to see a single post from anyone that has had this issue with a T56.

  11. #31
    Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    862

    Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

    I went with a pro 5.0 shifter for my very first mod, actually. I like it much better than the stocker. I can shift much faster, and most importantly, it's built to guide it into 3rd...so I have yet to miss that infamous shift, when I was guilty of it several times on the stocker. It also feels much tighter, whereas the stocker seemed very loose and sloppy.

    Oh, and it doesn't make any excess noise of vibration that I've noticed..

  12. #32
    Member Darkrider02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    267

    Black
    2002

    yea im startin to get vibration i think my choice is between da pro and the mgw

  13. #33
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    I went with a pro 5.0 shifter for my very first mod, actually. I like it much better than the stocker. I can shift much faster, and most importantly, it's built to guide it into 3rd...so I have yet to miss that infamous shift, when I was guilty of it several times on the stocker. It also feels much tighter, whereas the stocker seemed very loose and sloppy.

    Oh, and it doesn't make any excess noise of vibration that I've noticed..
    i was wondering if that was just me being s shitty shifter...or if its the car....im always going back into first when i try to go to third...either that or i over compensate and hit fifth.

  14. #34
    Member Darkrider02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    267

    Black
    2002

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    i was wondering if that was just me being s shitty shifter...or if its the car....im always going back into first when i try to go to third...either that or i over compensate and hit fifth.
    well you for me its not really missin 3rd cuz all i do is just the shifter to by its self to dead center and hit 3rd right away i guess i loose like . 2 sec of shiftin idk its had to explain

  15. #35
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I have never heard of anyone having an issue with over shifting in a modern transmission. I have yet to see a single post from anyone that has had this issue with a T56.
    I am pretty sure this is why a lot of people bend shift forks. Of course it doesn't help that the one is aluminum.

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    43

    NBM
    01 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post

    Click for full size
    Is that the Hurst shifter knob? I had one in my 94 Z28 (4 years ago). I was looking at getting another one for my new '01 SS but didn't realize they are $60!! Can you tell me where I can find a good deal on a knob like yours?

  17. #37
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen View Post
    Is that the Hurst shifter knob? I had one in my 94 Z28 (4 years ago). I was looking at getting another one for my new '01 SS but didn't realize they are $60!! Can you tell me where I can find a good deal on a knob like yours?
    yeah its the stock knob. i have a hurst "8 ball" on there now. summit racing sells the leather hurst knob.

  18. #38
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    getting loose at the base where it bolts to the transmission, or the knob was loose? bc my knob was loose but i just put a touch loctite on it and never had another problem.
    Getting loose from where it bolts to the tranny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB short shifter, short stick, seat belt guide
    By OMGls1jz in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
  2. t56 shifter ? wich short through shifter
    By truckman in forum GTO
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM
  3. 5.0 Shifter w/ Lou's short stick or just 5.0 Shifter
    By jrc1122 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •