Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Shifting Problem M6

i have a M6 98 SS, with a SLP short throw shifter, and when i get into it WOT, and go to slam 2nd gear, it doesnt go in. i have the skip shift, and it shifts fine at 2.5 k from first to second, but when at WOT it doesnt like to go into 2nd or 3rd

any ideas on why this is, i'm pretty sure that its not a driver error, is the SLP short throw known to be crappy or what

any help is greatly appreciated since with this problem i cant get the nice 2nd gear barks

thanks in advance

~Jeff

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Seems like it's the skip shift working properly. When in 1st gear, it'll make you "skip shift" to 4th when the RPM is in the range of 1.5 - 2.5 After the tac passes 2.5 (or before 1.5) you should be able to shift to 2nd and then sequentially. I'm not sure if I answered your problem correctly or just restated your question in diff words, but hope that helps.

I feel a little silly asking this, but what's an M6 Camaro and what does WOT stand for?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

M6 means manual 6 speed, just the same with A4 meaning automatic 4 speed and WOT means wide open throttle.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7 Reasons
    M6 means manual 6 speed, just the same with A4 meaning automatic 4 speed and WOT means wide open throttle.
    That is odd. I'm not sure of the problem, but here is what I know...

If you experience the problem under WOT, the skip-shift should not be active. If it does slide from 1st to 4th under this condition as normal, I'd say there is a problem, possibly a short or something causing the solenoid to lock in the skip-shift.

Under normal conditions, I believe the car has to be between 15 and 25mph, warmed up to about 100f, and the gas pedal at < 30% throttle. I don't know if a bent shift fork can cause the problem when you are in the 1-2 shift or not. The 2nd to third problem is usually a bent fork. I've heard the stock forks are weak on the 3/4 gear selection and can be bent when shifting hard or on a single misshift.

There are many people out there with much more knowledge than me. Hope you get it figured out. I'd probably start with checking the tranny fluid level/age.
    Last edited by svt_eater; 09-29-2005 at 08:01 PM.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what are the forks in a manual tranny, are they the spacing between the gear locations like sometimes when i go to slam 3rd i hit this metal object between 1st and 3rd is that the fork?

i really dont think that the skip shift eliminator is the problem because i can shift whenever when i' driving around,

any other ideas?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Your problem is more than likely your 2nd gear sychronizer. And if your get someone to go into your m6 have them replace the cheap aluminum 3/4 shift fork with the new updated metal 3/4 shift fork. It is in the gm parts book as an update. I just went through this with mine.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big d's ss
    Your problem is more than likely your 2nd gear sychronizer. And if your get someone to go into your m6 have them replace the cheap aluminum 3/4 shift fork with the new updated metal 3/4 shift fork. It is in the gm parts book as an update. I just went through this with mine.
    expensive?

LAST ONE
    Even with the Hurst option short throw shifter the rubber bushed shifter stick can cause problems especially with the 2-3 shift. You can get a new shifter or replace the stick with a Lou's short stick, the install only takes 25 to 30 minutes is well woth the time. This is not in lieu of getting the internal trans problem fixed.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what do you mean by "rubber bushed"

i dont know what the problem is yet, because it works fine when i'm not on it WOT

i need further comments/ help

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Here's a good website to help explain it a bit. It's helped me a bit in understanding potential problems with my car.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Black
    2000 SS

It's your synchros. No question.

quazimoto
    wish i could help

quazimoto
    i dont know anyting about camars

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

then why the F are you on LS1.com

I seem to have the same problem but only going from 2nd to 3rd gear.
    Under normal driving its shifts fine. But under WOT I miss 3rd. ? (If I try to shift real fast.)

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

my exact problem aswell, just for me it happens 1-2 and 2-3

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I have the same problem from 2-3 during WOT. Sometimes I can hit it, others I cant. If you shift a little before the limiter, you should be able to hit the gears. I've also found that it's much easier to shift w/ a ball knob rather than ne thing esle, I also have a t-handle and that's a pita to hit that shift with.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Yeah, I've never understood what people like so much about the T shift knob. I prefer the factory Hurst handle to any other one's I've used in teh past. I find it has a very comfortable feel and contour.

mikesfastcar
    I just spent $1700 on getting my gear forks and synchronizers fixed in 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts. I ended up putting together a viper M6. Its the same transmition but with heavier parts for more power. The short sift has a rubber piece in the console by the sifter, this gave me problems going into 3rd so i removed it.

mrv_inaz
    Replace the stock clutch master cyl with an adjustable unrestricted master. There are several on the market for under $200. I spent thousands chasing this problem. This worked.

Thread Information