Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Be safe guys.

This is a discussion on Be safe guys. within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Z28_Driver What a waste! Two kids that should not have been in a fast car, maybe not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    What a waste!
    Two kids that should not have been in a fast car, maybe not even driving at all. There is a big difference between a 300+hp rear-drive Camaro and a 150hp front-drive economy car. They get behind the wheel with all that power before they have the skills to control it. And even if they have been driving a few years, its usually in a shit-box. Its not to say there aren't responsible 18 year olds, but maybe the parents of the driver should not have trusted this kid so much.
    Thats a lot of regret and a lot of pain for a parent to deal with. Lost a good friend in highschool to an incident like this. Sad News!
    I agree. Parents shouldn't be turning their inexperienced teenage kids loose in a car with enough power to get yourself in trouble before you realize it. Even at slow speeds it's easy to loose control with enough HP.
    Even when you think you have the bases covered and you teach your siblings as much as you can, you still have to trust they make the right decisions on their own. It's a scary thought for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Honestly i dont know what the big deal is about wearing a seat belt. Before i put my car in drive the seat belt is on.

You mean you never drive "aggressively"?
    Nope, not like he describes it. That's a little extreme to be thrown around in the seat I still have a little sense when it comes to public roads.

The impression I'm getting is that maybe what he is doing should be done in a controlled environment,,,like a road course??
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-28-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    POWER SLIDE'IN ftmfw
    I'm glad you're on the other side of the country

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree. Parents shouldn't be turning their inexperienced teenage kids loose in a car with enough power to get yourself in trouble before you realize it. Even at slow speeds it's easy to loose control with enough HP.
    i see a lot of people with grand prixs , trucks, ecoboxes getting into accidents..since they think they are invincible since its fwd or its not a sports car.

i wouldn't blame the parents or anyone else besides the kid/kids..if they are stupid enough to run from the cops..it isn't a stretch to think they would be running from the cops in whatever they had.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

and personally if i was going 100+ i would feel much more comfortable in a car like ours..that is "semi" made to be at those speeds then for a car whose suspension was made for 80 max ...over correction kills in any car.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Panic! Panic kills more folks than over correction, but I agree over correction kills too. Throw in stupidity, and get out the disaster box cause there's gonna be body parts everywhere...
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-28-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Well the difference would be that the temptation to go fast is more prevelant in the more powerfull car. They also may not have been as likely to run from the cops in a 4 banger econobox that couldn't get out of it's own way.
    Give a kid a choice of a V8 or the econobox and see which one he picks.

There are a ton of ways to look at it. Bottom line is their parents didn't teach them any better and now they are paying the ultimate price. Too bad.
    Actually most kids now since the film fast and furious was released would probably take the honda over the V-8. I think we should have a driver's ed system similar to Germany. The kids there have to drive with an instructor for six months before driving on their own.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ummm....hitting a few trees and rolling 250 some feet....i am pretty sure they were fucked anyways
    I dunno, I've seen a few accidents that were unbelievably bad and when I walked up to the car expecting a bloody mess the people in the car didn't have a scratch on them. But yes in an f body they probably were fucked.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and personally if i was going 100+ i would feel much more comfortable in a car like ours..that is "semi" made to be at those speeds then for a car whose suspension was made for 80 max ...over correction kills in any car.
    I suppose but once you crash you have crashed and its moments like those you wish you werent in a sports car. More like a 5 star rated 6 air bag having car that isnt made out of a fiberglass or carbon fiber like the really really fast high end cars are. I have been in two roll overs, i wasnt the driver in either, 98 blazer- rolled 4 times, walked away with some scratches, 2005 acura TL- rolled 3 times had some neck pain for a while.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I have herd of f-body crashes that result in people being thrown clean out of the car and they walked away

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Actually most kids now since the film fast and furious was released would probably take the honda over the V-8.
    Ya it's a sad world. I'm happy to say my son isn't that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I think we should have a driver's ed system similar to Germany. The kids there have to drive with an instructor for six months before driving on their own.

We have something similar to that here, or at least we did when I learned to drive. Went to driver ed and used simulators for 3 months, then went with an instructor and had to log something like 30 hours of drive time after school hours. Then started with a permit for 6 months where I had to drive with someone fully licensed, (namely my parents). Then took the usual tests after all that for a perminant license.

The whole process was a huge learning experience, and made me realize not only how dangerous it could be, but it's also a privilege.

I guess no one does this anymore??

Arctic White, red/gray

We have something similar to that here, or at least we did when I learned to drive. Went to driver ed and used simulators for 3 months, then went with an instructor and had to log something like 30 hours of drive time after school hours. Then started with a permit for 6 months where I had to drive with someone fully licensed, (namely my parents). Then took the usual tests after all that for a perminant license.

The whole process was a huge learning experience, and made me realize not only how dangerous it could be, but it's also a privilege.

I guess no one does this anymore??
    If you are 18 you only need your temps for 1 to 2 weeks before you can get your liscense, and you dont need to log any hours at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I suppose but once you crash you have crashed and its moments like those you wish you werent in a sports car. More like a 5 star rated 6 air bag having car that isnt made out of a fiberglass or carbon fiber

I don't know, I prefer my big old heavy thick steel cars. Out of all our cars I would rather be in my 79 full size chevy pickup the most, 5,500 lbs. of 1 ton chevy sitting above most average cars,,,lol. Not to easy to knock that around.
    I see so many people driving these little econo boxes I wouldn't be caught dead in.

If you are 18 you only need your temps for 1 to 2 weeks before you can get your liscense, and you dont need to log any hours at that age.
    Wow,,,,things have changed since I went through that. I started just before I was 16 though. Not sure why any teenager would want to wait until 18 unless it's required by law.

Guess that's where the problem is nowadays. Kids just don't get enough training before hand.

Arctic White, red/gray

I don't know, I prefer my big old heavy thick steel cars. Out of all our cars I would rather be in my 79 full size chevy pickup the most, 5,500 lbs. of 1 ton chevy sitting above most average cars,,,lol. Not to easy to knock that around.
    I see so many people driving these little econo boxes I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Alot of newer cars that are buitl right with the right tech in them can keep you safer than a 5,500lbs truck. I watched my friends early 80s chevy pick up get bent into a v shape from a geo prism when leaving high school years ago. The entire passenger side was pushed in and the passneger side door was almost to the middle of the bench. Old cars can take some beatings because of the way and what they were made of, but they didnt have the testing or standards some of the cars today meet. I would still rather be in a old all metal truck or car over a high end sports car, but some of todays luxury cars can take quite a beating.

Alot of newer cars that are buitl right with the right tech in them can keep you safer than a 5,500lbs truck. I watched my friends early 80s chevy pick up get bent into a v shape from a geo prism when leaving high school years ago. The entire passenger side was pushed in and the passneger side door was almost to the middle of the bench. Old cars can take some beatings because of the way and what they were made of, but they didnt have the testing or standards some of the cars today meet. I would still rather be in a old all metal truck or car over a high end sports car, but some of todays luxury cars can take quite a beating.
    Ya the new stuff probably can take a beating. I don't really follow or keep up on anything new. Just prefer to keep my old stuff and generally feel pretty safe in them.
    I've been in 4 accidents over the years, proud to say I wasn't at fault in any, and only actually driving in 2 of them. But out of those 4,,,ironically I was in a 79 chevy pickup in 2 of them. One was my fathers 1/2 ton, and the other was a friend of mine. Both times I got out with a scratch on my knee, where it hit the lower steel dash. Not bad going 60 mph and knocking down medium sized trees

Arctic White, red/gray

Ya the new stuff probably can take a beating. I don't really follow or keep up on anything new. Just prefer to keep my old stuff and generally feel pretty safe in them.
    I've been in 4 accidents over the years, proud to say I wasn't at fault in any, and only actually driving in 2 of them. But out of those 4,,,ironically I was in a 79 chevy pickup in 2 of them. One was my fathers 1/2 ton, and the other was a friend of mine. Both times I got out with a scratch on my knee, where it hit the lower steel dash. Not bad going 60 mph and knocking down medium sized trees
    I did some really really dumb shit when i was 15-19 years of age(as most of us do) but i remember waking up in a ditch on the side of the freeway in my 79 malibu. I went on a 4 day bender with no sleep and decided to drive 3 hours from Chicago to greenbay to a friends house. Passed out somewhere along the way and when i woke up the front corner of the car was in the side of the ditch so far you couldn't see the head light at all. I back out of the hole i had put in the side of the ditch to find that nothing was damaged, not even the headlight. I drove that car into dumpsters and random walls and only the bumper had a couple scratches built like a tank.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Since I wrecked my "79 Camaro on a dark unfamiliar gravel road one night when I was 19, I always wear mine. I was only going 45, but when the 90 degree right hand turn came up I hit the brakes and the car seem to go faster on the freshly graded road when the brakes locked up. Now I have a permanent scar from my left top forehead to the middle of my scalp where I pretty much scalped myself almost going through the wind shield. Three hours in the emergency room and 156 stitches later from the Doc that delivered me when I was born said I should have been in the morgue getting stuffed with cotton. I could not imagine going 115 MPH and surviving.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

maybe if the kids actually paid for the car... too many kids are given too many nice cars.. my first car was a $900 buick that i fully paid for. i'm 18 and i worked my ass off for my z28 and still am.... no way in hell am i going to risk my life or my car

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information