Thread: rotor choice

red
    98 ss camaro

rotor choice

hey guys i wanted to get some other peoples feedback on some good rotors on my 98 ss camaro. let me know guys want to get some good thoughts beforei make my decision.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

I am in the same boat as you are i was lookin into the "BAER ERADISPEED" i like the two piece rotor it looks good. Some of our sponsors have great deals in reguards to brake packages. I also like like 6 piston calipers, that come in the big brake kits. The only down side is that they are $995.00 to $2100.00. Brembo makes big brake kits but your talkin quit a bit more money, i would go with baer. You can't go wrong with that.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Baer!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I just buy autozone rotors..they're cheap but last surprising long time.

ebay....

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

brembo blanks or autozone rotors...everything else performs the same or worse and costs a lot more.

black black pewter
    89,00 LPE WS6,02 LPE WS6

rotors

baer
    83 Firebird SCCA Race Car, 89 WS6 T5 SCCA Race Car 00 Lingenfelter WS6 T-Top 6spd Transam, race suspension, baer brakes, 02 Lingenfelter WS6 vert 6spd Transam, 1971 LT1 Vert Corvette, 06 Ext Cab Z88 5 spd Canyon, 08 Z71 Ext Cab Sierra

Black
    99 SS

power slots

NBM
    '99 Z28

power slot

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If you go with any Baer kit your gonna pay and wait for ever and they have been known to have poor customer service.

It has a big wing!

If your not looking for anything flashy or any kind of upgrade,go with the plain Autozone rotors...I have used them myself and have never had a problem with them...

Another thing that I have noticed that REALLY helps in preventing warping,use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs!Tighten them 90 to 100 ft/lb...But make sure they are even,and tighten in a cross pattern.

I have yet to have a warped rotor after doing this and thats over a span of multiple F-bodies...

Hope this helps!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I got a slotted set of rotors from Stainless Steel Brake Company along with the 3-piston front calipers with relocation plates.

Took 4 hours to install and work GREAT.

If you drag race, then Baers are fine. If you road race at all, stay away from cross-drilled rotors. They'll crack at the cross drill holes after 2 laps (assuming you drive fast), and then you need another $1500 or more of new rotors.

Slotted? Fine, cross-drilled ... AVOID if you ever plan on a road course, but looks very bling and is OK for drag racing since the brakes aren't used enough to really heat up.

By the way, the SSBC calipers are red. They also have 4 and 6-piston units, but you'll need a bigger master cylinder if you get them.

Against advice from Chevy, I switched to DOT 5 fluid and have not been sorry.

black black pewter
    89,00 LPE WS6,02 LPE WS6

i have over 600 laps on my baer setup, and they work great. on these boards most of the times, i see so much bad advice by people who dont even use the products, but badmouth them because of what they have heard. the baers work great, yes they are a little costly, but isnt all of racing? funny they put slotted and or drilled rotors on porsche, ferrari, and the new vette, and those are tested track cars. i get my brakes up to 550 degrees at the local road course. 110mph on the back stretch down to around 60 to make the turn. i run at a track that is known for its technical requirements. 1.5 mile road course 12 turns. have never had fade, except for the differant pads i have experimented with. how do i know about the temp, we measure the temps and tire temps each time we come off the track. i use motul 600 brake fluid, never boiled over. cant say that about other brands. but i can say that because i have used them. my recommendations, take the advice on these boards lightly, and get over to the track, and see firsthand what the others are running. ask questions of those who are doing what you want to do. my experience at the track is that there are alot of racers who will help you out, and answer your questions.

Autozone

Thread Information