Thread: Roof Bubbles

white
    2000 Chevy Camaro SS

Roof Bubbles

I have a 2000 SS t-top car, i recently noticed the paint bubbling on the metal roof betweent he t-tops and rear window. I see chevy has a service bulliten on it, but since it is 7 years old the chevy place doesnt want to help.

If you had had this, how did you repair it? Looks like it is bubbling where they put adhesive to attach the outer piece to the inner structure. Just looking for the best solution to fix it.

thanks ahead of time.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

From what I understand from the TSB and everything else I have read, the only way to really fix it is to replace that whole outer piece. I guess you can just have it re-painted but I think it will eventually start bubbling again.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    From what I understand from the TSB and everything else I have read, the only way to really fix it is to replace that whole outer piece. I guess you can just have it re-painted but I think it will eventually start bubbling again.
    aw dang... even on the plastic part of a Solid roof car?... cause my car is full of that stuff...I was hoping a good body shop could get rid of it for good...

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

can you post pics of it?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I just tried to get a picture of them with my phone, but could'nt get them to show up in the picture. Sometimes it will just look like regular paint bubbles, usually at the bottom edge of the panel. (It might be a zig zag line along the bottom of the panel.) Other times it will look like little drops of oil or something on the panel. (Its actually the glue that holds the panel on.) When I wipe the drops off of mine when they appear, it usually leaves a little tiny chip looking thing in the paint.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Mine JUST started doing it too! Good description Rhinohuey, I was eventually going to put a wings west body kit on my car, and throw a bad ass paint job on it then, hoping that it won't happen again!!!

Red
    01 Camaro SS & 1995 T/A

The dude that owned my car prior to me went back and forth with the Chevy dealership with this issue. Finally, they put a fiberglass (at their expense) one on and there hasn't been a hint of a bubble since.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

the few bubbles i have are in the middle of it, is it the same issue?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    the few bubbles i have are in the middle of it, is it the same issue?
    More than likely. Is it just bubbles, or is there little drops of what looks like oil?

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

it looks kinda like clearcoat runs, then i have like 4 spots that look like c/c bubbling up. but sometimes it looks like it might have oil coming from it and blowing back from the car going. does this sound like it? if so, whats the fix. the dealer said they would repaint it for like 260.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    it looks kinda like clearcoat runs, then i have like 4 spots that look like c/c bubbling up. but sometimes it looks like it might have oil coming from it and blowing back from the car going. does this sound like it? if so, whats the fix. the dealer said they would repaint it for like 260.
    Yep, thats definately it. I've heard repainting it is pointless. It will stop if for a while, but it will eventually start again. The only real fix is to replace the whole panel.

I've decided to stick it out though. I'm going to wait until mine gets really bad.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

How would you go about getting the panel replaced anyways? Can the dealer do that if you pay them?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I had mine done by a dealership and they did a fantastic job. Yes, the whole roof panel is replaced.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Interesting...... Where is everyone located that this happens? Like the hotter states, florida, texas, etc? Or does Mileage and exposure in general cause this? My car only has 28000 miles and I live in Ohio, so I wonder if this will ever happen....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Interesting...... Where is everyone located that this happens? Like the hotter states, florida, texas, etc? Or does Mileage and exposure in general cause this? My car only has 28000 miles and I live in Ohio, so I wonder if this will ever happen....
    My car spent most of its life in Missouri, garaged. After that, it unfortunately sat in Arizona sunlight for about a year before I bought it. I'm guessing the direct sunlight had a lot to do with mine.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

how much does it cost to have the who;le panel replaced? so what is that problem exactly? and how does changing the panel fix it? if it is glue, wont it do the same on the new one? thanks

white
    2000 Chevy Camaro SS

mine is has 52,000 and has been garaged or under a carport since new. I assuming it is a reaction between the metal/paint/adhesive. I'm also curious about what the replacement cost would be.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'm not sure what cost is, but I can tell you what the TSB says about labor time.

R&R Roof: T-Top 1.5 hrs
    Hardtop 2 hrs

Color/Clearcoat: T-Top .7 hrs GG
    Hardtop 1.2 hrs GL

Mix Time: .3 hrs GG
    .4 hrs GL

Thread Information