red
    98 trans am

replaced fuel pump today

I replaced the fuel pump in my sons 96 T/A today. I dropped the tank instead of cutting the floor open and I'm glad I did. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the floor of the car. It took me about 4 hours on my my garage floor, this was my first time doing it. I really didn't think it was that difficult to do, just a lot of stuff to unbolt. It would definately be easier the second time if ever needed. I chose to replace the complete fuel pump/sending unit assembly with the correct GM part, a simple part swap, no wiring to change or disassembly of the pump assembly. I searched many threads on this sight before I did this job, and there were helpful hints in many of them, so thanks for the help.

black
    2000 Z28

Fuel pump replacement.

Hey Redbird, glad to hear that dropping the tank was not too hard. I saw the postings for cutting a hole in the floor and it made me think that dropping the tank must be impossible. I'm thinking that my pump may be bad because my 2000 Z28 performance fluctuates, as if it is not getting fuel. The shop checked fuel pressure at idle and found 60 PSI, and I have changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. What kind of symptoms did you have with your bad fuel pump?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by redbird98 View Post
    I replaced the fuel pump in my sons 96 T/A today. I dropped the tank instead of cutting the floor open and I'm glad I did. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the floor of the car. It took me about 4 hours on my my garage floor, this was my first time doing it. I really didn't think it was that difficult to do, just a lot of stuff to unbolt. It would definately be easier the second time if ever needed. I chose to replace the complete fuel pump/sending unit assembly with the correct GM part, a simple part swap, no wiring to change or disassembly of the pump assembly. I searched many threads on this sight before I did this job, and there were helpful hints in many of them, so thanks for the help.
    Did mine in about the same amount of time.. Pretty strait forward really..
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBlackZ28 View Post
    Hey Redbird, glad to hear that dropping the tank was not too hard. I saw the postings for cutting a hole in the floor and it made me think that dropping the tank must be impossible. I'm thinking that my pump may be bad because my 2000 Z28 performance fluctuates, as if it is not getting fuel. The shop checked fuel pressure at idle and found 60 PSI, and I have changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. What kind of symptoms did you have with your bad fuel pump?
    Usually (not always tho) a higher than normal whinning sound will be heard or intermittently.. Car will stop running @ anytime and need flat bedded to your shop or another..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-25-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

red
    98 trans am

actually, I just bought the car and the place I bought it from told me they had replaced the fuel pump. The car would not start on initial crank, had to crank, then stop, then crank again. Then I also discovered the fuel gauge was not registering correctly. So I figured they damaged the sending unit when they installed the cheap fuel pump, and then didn't get the clamp tight on the little hose that comes off the pump. I checked it with a fuel pressure gauge, and after turning the key off, pressure would drop to zero almost immediately. Also after hard accelleration and then getting off the throttle and then back on it, it would sputter and cough. Now after replacing the pump assembly, it fires off instantly, runs fantastic, and the gauge works.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by redbird98 View Post
    actually, I just bought the car and the place I bought it from told me they had replaced the fuel pump. The car would not start on initial crank, had to crank, then stop, then crank again. Then I also discovered the fuel gauge was not registering correctly. So I figured they damaged the sending unit when they installed the cheap fuel pump, and then didn't get the clamp tight on the little hose that comes off the pump. I checked it with a fuel pressure gauge, and after turning the key off, pressure would drop to zero almost immediately. Also after hard accelleration and then getting off the throttle and then back on it, it would sputter and cough. Now after replacing the pump assembly, it fires off instantly, runs fantastic, and the gauge works.
    Mine would run for a few seconds then shut off.. After letting it sit for a minute or two, it would then start again and then immediately shut down..

Moral of da story,, symptoms may very..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-29-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: spellin'

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

did mine in my '98 TA a couple of months ago and dropped the tank. llike you, i don't like cutting holes in things if i don't need to. it's just a lot of work unbolting everything, with the exhaust really being the biggest PITA depending on its age and how it was installed on the car. my only hangup was the filler tube on the reinstall, but got past it by cussing up a storm...lol

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I just cut the hole in my trunk. I know most people will say it's due to laziness, but i just didnt want to get it all back together and find out it didnt work. Plus most people will never know its there (and yes of course if i was going to sell it i would tell the buyer). However, more power to all of you who have spent the time to keep your baby a virgin.

Thread Information