Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Relocated my battery

Heres some pics.
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

not bad...does the battery box not bolt in?

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    not bad...does the battery box not bolt in?
    It's bolted in. The strap is keeping the lid on. It's kind of a tight fit with the spare tire bracket. The lid wouldn't stay down properly but now it does. Lol

Are you prepared for tech with the batter vented outside and fastened properly? Installed a cutoff switch?? Just asking because if you plan to hit the track the NHRA tech officials will have a field day with that install.

Rule reads like this..........

Battery relocation, rear firewall of .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum (including package tray) required when locating the battery in the trunk.
    In lieu of a rear firewall, the battery may be located in a sealed .024 steel or .032 aluminum or NHRA accepted poly box.
    If a sealed box is used in lieu of a rear firewall, box may not be used to secure the batter and must be vented outside the body.

Relocated battery must be fastened to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8 inch diameter bolts. ("J" hooks are prohibited or must have open end welded shut.)

OEM located batteries without a complete oem hold down hardware must be secured to oem batter box/tray using the same 3/8 inch diameter hold down method described in previous sentence. Metal hold down straps mandatory.

Master cut-off switch is mandatory on a relocated battery at the rear most part of the vehicle. It must be easily accessible from the outside of the vehicle and must be connected to the positive side of the battery. It must stop all electrical functions.
    Also the "OFF" position must be clearly indicated.

Just so you know and can be prepared on track day. So in other words, since you are using a box (hopefully NHRA approved) you don't need the firewall to seperate the driver, but you will have to vent it outside the body properly. In your case the battery itself needs to be fastened to a frame like structure,,,not the box itself.
    And of course last but not least, you'll need a master cut-off switch outside the vehicle, somewhere around the rear bumper area.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you prepared for tech with the batter vented outside and fastened properly? Installed a cutoff switch?? Just asking because if you plan to hit the track the NHRA tech officials will have a field day with that install.

Rule reads like this..........

Battery relocation, rear firewall of .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum (including package tray) required when locating the battery in the trunk.
    In lieu of a rear firewall, the battery may be located in a sealed .024 steel or .032 aluminum or NHRA accepted poly box.
    If a sealed box is used in lieu of a rear firewall, box may not be used to secure the batter and must be vented outside the body.

Relocated battery must be fastened to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8 inch diameter bolts. ("J" hooks are prohibited or must have open end welded shut.)

OEM located batteries without a complete oem hold down hardware must be secured to oem batter box/tray using the same 3/8 inch diameter hold down method described in previous sentence. Metal hold down straps mandatory.

Master cut-off switch is mandatory on a relocated battery at the rear most part of the vehicle. It must be easily accessible from the outside of the vehicle and must be connected to the positive side of the battery. It must stop all electrical functions.
    Also the "OFF" position must be clearly indicated.

Just so you know and can be prepared on track day. So in other words, since you are using a box (hopefully NHRA approved) you don't need the firewall to seperate the driver, but you will have to vent it outside the body properly. In your case the battery itself needs to be fastened to a frame like structure,,,not the box itself.
    And of course last but not least, you'll need a master cut-off switch outside the vehicle, somewhere around the rear bumper area.
    Thanks! Everything is good except the outside venting and the cut off switch. Which will be easy to install compared to the rest of the install. I need to make some adjustments to it like raising it up about 4-6 " so nothing will interfere with the lid. It'll be good to go though when it's track time.

yellow
    2004 gto

but it doen'nt look like an nhra drag car??

i thought of moving mine so move weight to the rear, to keep heat off the batt so it lasts longer exc..

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    but it doen'nt look like an nhra drag car??

i thought of moving mine so move weight to the rear, to keep heat off the batt so it lasts longer exc..
    Doesn't have to be an NHRA drag car. Once you move the battery from the original location (even on a street car) All NHRA rules apply.

Venting is for your own safety, you don't want battery acid fumes in the cabin with you and your passengers.
    Bolting it down is important, because if you hit the wall or another car you can't have the battery flying around in the passenger compartment either.
    Then there is the fire hazard too, which is why the master cutoff switch outside the vehicle is mandatory, so any track official can run up to the car and imediately cut power in the event of a crash.

Leave the battery under the hood in the stock location of course and none of this applies.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

The battery is a red top optima. Their gel filled. I have never seen any buildup around the terminals so no leaks like traditional batteries. I guess anything is possible though. Not saying I'm not going to vent it just stating what I have seen. I have had many vehicles with those batteries and never had any buildup, vapor leaks. Again I am going to put a vent tube in for safety purposes.

I don't think the NHRA cares about the type of battery and it's history, they want a vent. I tend to agree here. I wouldn't want to take a chance of inhaling acid fumes, even if I didn't race the car, I'd at least conform to 2 of the rules,,,and that's venting the battery, and bolting it down properly for passenger safety on the street.
    The cutoff switch is soley for the track officials.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

My last reply was not about what the nhra thinks about my battery just my own experience. I know I will not be allowed on the track. been grudge racing for 15 plus years I know the rules. The pics were from what I have done thus far I know it is not complete. I have till March before I'll need the switch. Like I said the vent tube is going to be installed. Long before march. Thanks for your concerns though.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

All batteries produce vapor. It is a byproduct of the charging process.
    Like said: it's easy to vent. Be on the safe side.
    The vapor can cause damage to your skin, eyes, and lungs when inhaled.

Not trying to lecture, just have seen too many people burnt already.

The installation looks great from the pics. Does it hide under the spare cover?

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    All batteries produce vapor. It is a byproduct of the charging process.
    Like said: it's easy to vent. Be on the safe side.
    The vapor can cause damage to your skin, eyes, and lungs when inhaled.

Not trying to lecture, just have seen too many people burnt already.

The installation looks great from the pics. Does it hide under the spare cover?
    Thanks! Yes it does. I'm going to redo it though. It's to tight down that low in the spare tire cavity. It needs to be raised up. Gonna use a different box as well. Found a nice sealed aluminum vented box online with all the mounting hardware less the cables for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    My last reply was not about what the nhra thinks about my battery just my own experience. I know I will not be allowed on the track. been grudge racing for 15 plus years I know the rules. The pics were from what I have done thus far I know it is not complete. I have till March before I'll need the switch. Like I said the vent tube is going to be installed. Long before march. Thanks for your concerns though.
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just posting the rules for those not informed on what such a change entails. Which turned out to be a good thing as I suspected for others reading this. Since it seems Jsmith wasn't aware of it and had planned to move his battery. It would appear I saved him from a very unpleasant experience at the tech inspection

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Thanks! Yes it does. I'm going to redo it though. It's to tight down that low in the spare tire cavity. It needs to be raised up. Gonna use a different box as well. Found a nice sealed aluminum vented box online with all the mounting hardware less the cables for $100.
    You might get away with raising it up if the tech official isn't inclined to get too far in there while checking it.
    I'm not so sure they want the battery up on some form of a pedastal with space under it. Guess you can interperate the rules as they are, but I am thinking they want the battery itself mounted to a frame like structure, which means on the floor.
    I've never ran into an instance where the battery was raised from the floor, not even sure how a spare tire well will go over, so I don't know how that might play out for you. Again, just a heads up.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You might get away with raising it up if the tech official isn't inclined to get too far in there while checking it.
    I'm not so sure they want the battery up on some form of a pedastal with space under it. Guess you can interperate the rules as they are, but I am thinking they want the battery itself mounted to a frame like structure, which means on the floor.
    I've never ran into an instance where the battery was raised from the floor, not even sure how a spare tire well will go over, so I don't know how that might play out for you. Again, just a heads up.
    It's all good. Thanks for the info. Gonna have to rethink the whole thing. That's what welders are for. Lol

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Whatever you decide to do with it, post a pic so we can all take a look. With some luck i will be able to take my convert my camaro from dd duty to play only sometime next year.
    One of the first things I want to do is lighten the front.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Whatever you decide to do with it, post a pic so we can all take a look. With some luck i will be able to take my convert my camaro from dd duty to play only sometime next year.
    One of the first things I want to do is lighten the front.
    I'm gonna be off for a little over a week during Christmas. That's when I'll geterdone. Least thats the plan anyways. I'll post up some new pics then.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Sounds good. Enjoy your vacation.
    It never lasts long enough when i'm working on the cars.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Got the new vented battery box mounted. Here are some pics. Still need to add the cut off switch.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Good job.
    Looks like it should be well hidden when the cargo cover is in place.

Thread Information