Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rear end or long tubes?

This is a discussion on Rear end or long tubes? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Buy a 9" with 4.10's and youll run fast down the strip then you would with headers....

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Buy a 9" with 4.10's and youll run fast down the strip then you would with headers.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Buy a 9" with 4.10's and youll run fast down the strip then you would with headers.
    Perhaps a set of tires would be in the mix though? 4.10s can "blow off the line" like a mother if not easy with the gas. I vote either way....lol IF you go with the rear get some tires too.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

He said if he got the rear he would run drag radials

Ray Charles blue

No brainer than. GEARS FTW!

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Thanks for everyone's opinion, I really want to do a rear first... BUT i may end up buying the headers lol. I wish rears for these cars where cheaper, then id just sack up and do both!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

a rear with a nice set of 4.10's > than a set of headers... the lower ratio gears will wake your car up big time...

you can get a set of headers off e-bay delivered to your door just around $200.00... i have them (as well as several other members on this site) and they've been great...

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post

Exactly. You won't be happy with the very slight gain (if at all) the headers may give you. Not really worth the expense until other things are done like a cam and heads. On a stock engine the headers are simply not a real big power gain. On my car in particular, A set of headers and off road Y-pipe only gave me another tenth and just over 1 mph gain in the quarter mile. Not huge for the time and money involved.

A rearend with a set of 4.10's will drop several tenths off your time if you can drive it. One thing it will allow you to do is install sticky tires then you can really get after it without worry of snapping something else (other than the trans or stock driveshaft).

Rearends aren't the cheapest thing to do so it's a hard decision, but it's the smartest thing to do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Exactly. You won't be happy with the very slight gain (if at all) the headers may give you. Not really worth the expense until other things are done like a cam and heads. On a stock engine the headers are simply not a real big power gain. On my car in particular, A set of headers and off road Y-pipe only gave me another tenth and just over 1 mph gain in the quarter mile. Not huge for the time and money involved.

A rearend with a set of 4.10's will drop several tenths off your time if you can drive it. One thing it will allow you to do is install sticky tires then you can really get after it without worry of snapping something else (other than the trans or stock driveshaft).

Rearends aren't the cheapest thing to do so it's a hard decision, but it's the smartest thing to do.
    I think that there's a little bit of old school thinking that's carried over into the newer cars. Don't get me wrong....headers are a great mod and I recommend the mod. I however don't think going to headers on an LS car is the same as going to headers on something from the 70's or 80's. The stock manifolds on the older cars isn't even in the same league as the manifolds on the LS cars.......these flow much better right out of the gate. I think everyone should go to headers and if you have plans for a cam you almost have to go to headers but if you have the cash for a rear you will be faster with some gears in a new rear than with a header swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Ray Charles blue

Orion, I agre 100% with you.

A guy told me that no way I would pick up close to 1/2 a second in the quarter by going from 2.73s to 3.73s. As you can see he was dead wrong. LOL Another guy claimed that 3.55 to 3.90 would be WAY different......

Most people are idiots. In the LS cars the gears do wonderful because the top end of the RPM range is fantastic right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think that there's a little bit of old school thinking that's carried over into the newer cars. Don't get me wrong....headers are a great mod and I recommend the mod. I however don't think going to headers on an LS car is the same as going to headers on something from the 70's or 80's. The stock manifolds on the older cars isn't even in the same league as the manifolds on the LS cars.......these flow much better right out of the gate. I think everyone should go to headers and if you have plans for a cam you almost have to go to headers but if you have the cash for a rear you will be faster with some gears in a new rear than with a header swap.
    Yep, the stock manifolds aren't bad pieces on the LS engines. I agree with ya, and even experienced it myself when I did headers on the 02 that was otherwise bone stock. Just didn't see alot of gain with it (at the track). Still a worthwhile addition with other engine mods in mind.
    I just personally wouldn't put that in front of a rearend upgrade. Get rid of the weakest stuff first

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^You make good points about fixing the weakest link first. Maybe I had a freak night with excellent air, but my experience with the LTs/ORY was much better than you report. And the comparison to exhaust manifolds of today vs. 70s or 80s stuff is right on. Unless you're talking about Ram Air Pontiacs from the early 70s! Christmas is coming up soon, an excellent present to me from you would be a 9'' or 12 bolt for Too Fast, I won't be greedy and I will buy my own slicks lol. I'd buy you a beer if you did that!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Headers, The strength of the rear is really only needed on launch in a performance situation. Once you are beyond the 60' mark the rear is just coasting. Headers will make power from minute one and give you better mileage to boot. Why toss out a decent 10 bolt that is still working ? Play it until it breaks. If you have an automatic, using street tires and do not have to much converter, hell it may never break. If you have a m6, slicks, deep gears and run all the time, Strange is the Man. In that case I would go with the Dana 60 over the 12 bolt. 60's are tough to kill and easy to change gears. I Ford 9" is a good drag rear but it will add weight. Go with the headers, enjoy the HP and TQ.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I snapped my rear on a 1-2 shift. If hes an auto then he has nothing to worry about but a good enough driver can break it on a shift

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    The car is strictly a street car / cruiser. although i do drive it pretty hard. If i chose the rear i would buy some DR's and run it down the 1320 much more often. lets hear some opinions!
    What do you really want in this car? If as you say it's a street car then don't bother with the rear. Most aftermarket rears are drag race oriented, many of them whine, some come with rodend torque arms that will make even more noise. Someone once said, and I wish I could find it, "The more race oriented stuff you put on your car, the more "fun to drive" factor you lose on the street." That has been my experience.

I love the quotes that are similar too: "Well I broke my 10 bolt backing out of my drive way, so stock rears sucks". Of course the rest of that statement that never gets heard is "Yesterday I beat the hell out of it doing clutch dumps, and then I put sticky tires on it beat the hell out of it some more. Then today, as it was hanging by a thread already, I backed out of my drive way and it broke. If this thing can't hold up to backing out of a drive way it must really suck." Never mind of course what went on leading up to the breakage.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by lees02ws6 View Post
    What do you really want in this car? If as you say it's a street car then don't bother with the rear. Most aftermarket rears are drag race oriented, many of them whine, some come with rodend torque arms that will make even more noise. Someone once said, and I wish I could find it, "The more race oriented stuff you put on your car, the more "fun to drive" factor you lose on the street." That has been my experience.

I love the quotes that are similar too: "Well I broke my 10 bolt backing out of my drive way, so stock rears sucks". Of course the rest of that statement that never gets heard is "Yesterday I beat the hell out of it doing clutch dumps, and then I put sticky tires on it beat the hell out of it some more. Then today, as it was hanging by a thread already, I backed out of my drive way and it broke. If this thing can't hold up to backing out of a drive way it must really suck." Never mind of course what went on leading up to the breakage.

street car??? he's asking rear or headers... he's obviously wanting to go a bit faster... a rear that won't blow out on the ocasional "i'm going to rop on it today" is the better choice... not to mention that the lower gear ratio will change the fun factor of driving the car... i haven't seen any posts yet that say "my car isn't as fun to drive with 4.10 gears"...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Suck it up and do both.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by lees02ws6 View Post
    my point was im not building a racecar, and that my car sees the track maybe 1 time a year. However if i where to upgrade my rear i would be less afraid of launching at the track and take it more often.

That aside i do drive it pretty hard on the street... Hit 1-2 and 3-4 WOT often getting on the highway.

My goal is really to have a nice clean bolt on car , that is street-able, and reliable.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Get a rear end and some stainless steel e-bay headers. Those headers are inexpensive and a lot of people are having a lot of luck with them.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Get a rear end and some stainless steel e-bay headers. Those headers are inexpensive and a lot of people are having a lot of luck with them.
    Like me!!!

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information