Rained Toaday.....

This is a discussion on Rained Toaday..... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Im really itching to get the camaro out, only another month. It was nice to see the roads get a ...

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Rained Toaday.....

Im really itching to get the camaro out, only another month. It was nice to see the roads get a little wash. Im all ready thinking about mods for this summer. I really want to put a cam in but am thinking i should do my suspension first. I already have: ceramic long tubes, catless 3-inch exhaust, aftermarket plugs and wires, slp lid, and a k&n. The car is also tuned by CJTunes using hptuners. I really want the cam but am thinking i need to adress the suspension before i throw more power to it. (i know i will need new rotors.)

I would like some input on what im thinking on both my suspension and cam choices.

Suspension: Im a millwright and work in a metal fabrication shop and am going to fabricate my own subframe connectors and strut tower brace. In addition i would like to compliment the SFC and lower the car to give it a stance since im sitting on C6 wheels and KDWs. I dont just want to put springs on it, and was looking into the lowering package from BMR fabrication. (Lowering Springs, Adj PHR, and Control arm relocation) about $400. It would cost under 100 to fab the other pieces for a total about $500.

Cam: After research, discussion, and a bunch of youtube videos. I have decided i want a 224/228 (.534" intake / .537" exhaust) 112LSA from comp cams. I could have that in the car for around the same money as the suspension mods.

SO WHAT TO DO? Any comments, questions, sugguestions?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

No responses? no help? C'mon guys, maybe a pic would help....

(taken from my cell)

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

why such a low lift on the cam? im running a Comp 224/224 .581/.581@112lsa

consider a custom grind cam that if you plan to add heads, turbo, etc. that way you dont have to spend more money finding another cam down the road.

i did power before suspension. only thing i have left is the Moser M9, im trying to save for, but being laid off has delayed that.

i think you would enjoy the car more by addressing the suspension before adding the power, because if you cant use the power you have now due to crappy suspension, then whats the point of more power that you cant use to its potiental?
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 03-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i would chime in on the suspension but i have koni 4/3 and strano springs waiting till April to be put on the car..

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I built my suspension first and prefer building the car to handle the power. There is no real right or wrong answer to this though, its a matter of preference. I will say sub frame connectors should be the first thing any fbody owner does though. It really boils down to doing what will make you happiest.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

im leaning towards the suspension, it seems like a lot more bang for my buck. And it will have to be done, and sooner is better than later. As far as the cam, SSwt00SS, i dont have plans to go big with a forced induction or anything big (at least not right now, but heads would have to come shortly after the cam) and thought it would be a good first cam. i know i should really just do the PTCO mod (the Pay The Car Off mod)

Another push for this cam was this video i had seen. my spoiled friend has an audi just like this except he doesnt have meth injection.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLO_tqWWXxw[/ame]
    Last edited by 2K2SLPSS; 03-10-2010 at 06:23 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I would go for suspension. I have way more fun carving up the hills passing cammed cars then going in a straight line. Tires definitely help, I hate accelerating in a turn and having to let out because the tires would give way.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I would go for suspension. I have way more fun carving up the hills passing cammed cars then going in a straight line. Tires definitely help, I hate accelerating in a turn and having to let out because the tires would give way.
    It's called drifting man!!!! All the kids are doing nowadays.

Seriously, I would agree - do the suspension first. Then the drivetrain. Make sure the car can handle the power and drive the way you want it to, before bumping up the hp.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

it sounds like suspension is the way to go. even though its not making more power it will put more of what i have to the ground. i wont have to worry about tires i still have another summer out of my BFGs. You know what im saying Y2K.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

i miss my bfg's my new rears suck

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If your bfg's stick get the hp, if not you have other work to do.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Personally, I think there are better off the shelf cams out there for you to consider, but nothing would be better than a custom grind. I'm not saying the 224/228 is not a strong cam, I believe just because you like the results of one cam doesn't mean that's the one for you or whatever you overall build goals are.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

lookls like we have a winner and its.......do the suspension

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

im going to say.... Suspension.....Final Answer. Then i can save up and do the cam and heads at the same time. Its been raining since tuesday and i cant wait to take the car out. just have to wait for april and warmer weather. Wheres all my Twin Cities Metro people at?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

That video said "driver mid" I have 2 friends that are better drivers than me, but I can still shift faster than the guy in that video can... then again, gettin the car to hook is half the ability as well, and the video never showed a dig race. All I saw was a slow 5mph roll or what not going under that bridge. In any event, why do you like that cam so much, I'm curious? My close buddy had the .566/.568 Comp in his juiced Y2K Z, and that thing was very subtle, but responded to the cheap zex kit like crazy.

Thread Information