Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    98 SS Camaro

Racing and Shifting tips

I own a 98 camaro ss and i was looking for some tips when it came to shifting in a race.

black
    1999 camaro z-28

Seems I got better with experience, so get out there and look for some victims!

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Don't miss. That's the best way.

When shifting 1-2, grab the shifter from teh side with your whole hand. Tuck your elbow into your side. When shift time comes, pull down with pressure to the left. For 2-3, give it pressure towards the right and up.

One thing that I have found is that a lot of guys will try and do it to fast at WOT and either hit the gate, or get it half way into gear and grind them. Make sure it's in gear when you pop the clutch back out. Practice "speed-shifting" at part throttle and gradually take it up from there.

I've always found "power-shifting" to be the fastest way. Takes a lot of practice, but once you figure it out, it's the best way to go, IMO. Gas to the floor, and when it comes time, shift without lifting. You can practice at part throttle before going WOT with it. Just remember that with a good powershift, the RPM will go up ~500 from where you started the shift. Factor that into your shift points.

Chris

Red
    98 SS Camaro

i raced my friends 2004 mustang gt when i first bought my car and he was right beside me the whole time. His car is completly stock and it was right behind me. there is no way that those cows can keep up and be so close to me. I know that it has a lot to do with how and when im shifting but i dont want to do to much experimenting with my car and then mess something up.

could you explain the power shifting in a little more detail. I want to go out and try it but im scared of trying to shift with out the cluth and then ultimatly grinding the gears. around what rpms should i shift for that. and also around what rpms do we get the most horse power and torque.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

first power shift when the car is off, practice gettin it into gear fast and all the way , i noticed thta going into third you really dont have to push it to the right if you kinda just push forward it springs back to the nuetral position where third is right above that so alll ya gotta do is go straight up..... practice with car off first.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

is there certain rpms i should shift at?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Investing in a shift light and an aftermarktt shifter like a pro 5.0 or a Ripper is always a great idea to improve your shifting skills. Neither of them add the glamorous HP to a car, but they can sure improve you in other ways
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red
    98 SS Camaro

when i pull on the shifter, throwing it from first to second, without the clutch, will it grind gears at all. and do i need to let off the gas at all?

Red
    98 SS Camaro

just came back from trying to power shift and that was pretty cool, i did it from first all the way to fith. I would shift around 2 thousand each time and it would go in real smooth. the only time i had trouble was trying to go from first to second and power shift at about 4500 rpms. do i have to really pull on it because it felt like i was hitting a wall or something

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Try applying pressure on the shifter then quickly kick the clutch it should go right into gear. And theres nothing wrong with lifting slightly. Stock car you should be shifting around 54-5500rpm.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    first power shift when the car is off, practice gettin it into gear fast and all the way , i noticed thta going into third you really dont have to push it to the right if you kinda just push forward it springs back to the nuetral position where third is right above that so alll ya gotta do is go straight up..... practice with car off first.
    only if you've got a hurst shifter or something like it.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    i raced my friends 2004 mustang gt when i first bought my car and he was right beside me the whole time. His car is completly stock and it was right behind me. there is no way that those cows can keep up and be so close to me. I know that it has a lot to do with how and when im shifting but i dont want to do to much experimenting with my car and then mess something up.

could you explain the power shifting in a little more detail. I want to go out and try it but im scared of trying to shift with out the cluth and then ultimatly grinding the gears. around what rpms should i shift for that. and also around what rpms do we get the most horse power and torque.
    my girl has a 2000 gt stang and the same thing happened to me the first night I had mine back in town except she jumped without giving me a warning and she held a fender on me.

Do not worry my man, you've just got to get more experience with the car and get comfortable with it. You've definitely got more power than those mustangs. Have fun but stay safe.

oh and I shift at 5600 because I looked at my dyno sheet and the peak hp is at 5400-5500 and right at 56 is when it starts to drop and I figure I'll use up those 54-5500rpms and shift on the 56 to make sure I get more out of peak hp instead of shifting on top of it
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 01-12-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: correction

Red
    98 SS Camaro

i just raced a 350z and beat that thing by a lot, at least by 6-8 car lengths. those long tube headers really helped. once i get the power shifting thing down i will try it again and see how it goes. Dont our SS's come with and upgraded shifter?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

some of them, not all. you got an "H" on your shifter? if you do then you've got a hurst shifter and that is good.

black
    99 chevy camaro Z28

i got a b&m shifter 100 dollers shiped let me know

Red
    98 SS Camaro

i dont think that i have a "h" on my shifter. where would i find that

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

on top of the shift knob
    Don't get caught up in the shift knob. it is a complete shifting peice but the knob is how to know you've got one factory in the car(most likely). If you can push the shifter to the left or right and as soon as you let go it bounces back to middle then you've got it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_SS View Post
    i dont think that i have a "h" on my shifter. where would i find that
    Uhhh....

Your shift knob would have a huge "H" right on the top of it, where you rest your hand. If you don't have a leather shift knob with an "H" stamped into it, you more than likely don't have a Hurst shifter.

The stock (non Hurst) shifter really sucks, so if thats the one you have, you're in for a surprise when you try a B&M or Pro 5.0

midnight blue
    2001 camaro SS

i have a stock hurts shifter my shift points are at 5900 rpm

midnight blue
    2001 camaro SS

well not stock but the ss package

Thread Information