race this weekend need opinoins

This is a discussion on race this weekend need opinoins within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Racin this weekend actually been doing a lot this summer, but fortunatly this one will go down at the track. ...

blue
    99 camaro ss

Question race this weekend need opinoins

Racin this weekend actually been doing a lot this summer, but fortunatly this one will go down at the track. kid i know from my university has a 05 wrx sti, with a reflashed ecu and a full catback. he claims 360 awhp but i thinks he bullshiting me, the track is irwindale, and the problem is its 8th mile, yup the 660, my car is a 99ss that has h/c/i with ls1 edit,which makes 410rwhp before the bottle. i originally had a 100 dry shot, but saw my mechanic yesterday and purchased larger jets which brings me up to a 150 dry shot and off the top of my head i might be making 505-515 rwhp with the new 150 shot ( hasen't been dynoed ever with nitrous), and i think after i grow tired of this i will just have to opt for direct port, which will be a huge step up for me. cause the car scares the shit out of me already. Um the question is this kid in the subaru is a cocky little punk, and i am pretty confident if this was a 1320 race i would have a enough to get around him but at 660 i am just not sure even with the nitrous increase. Also the rubber is khumho ecsta street tires, not drags radials.planning on using the gas at the end of 1st not out of the hole. So do you think i will be able to get around him planning on placing a small bet maybe a 100 bucks unless you guys tell me otherwise.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Without DR's Id say it would be hard as sin. No way he is pulling 360 AWP with his mods maybe 360 fly but that is still a little on the generous side. And if I were him and racing for money I would do a 5k launch and be several lenghts before you stopped spinning. I never had probs with subies at the track here even by the 8th but most around here can't hit good lights. Kill him at the tree keep from spinning and you might but too close for me to give a definate answer 1/4th would be murder that 660 is a benefit for him.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I had some of those Kumho tires... just lower the pressure to about 20lbs... and do a nice burn out... take off lightly and wait for some grip to hit... you have alot more power then the subie...and unless he has good tires... he might have some sort of traction akwardness launching at 5000RPMs

NBM
    1998Z28

A friend of mine has a shop that modifys the STIs and has an Mustang AWD. Most of the modified/bigger intakes/exausts ect. that I've seen dynoed there have only put out maybe 300 AWDHP, but I've also noticed that they tend to put out more 20 #s more torque than hp. I especially love out running thoses little blue ones. FACT!

blue
    99 camaro ss

hey just checkin in to let you fellows now how the racin went. Well the day began with him meeting me at my house and we drove thier together with our cars. I was attempting the entire time on freeway to race him and it was a no go. I guess he just didn't want to lose. But eventually after alot of encouragment we lined up. i put it in third and we were do about sixty. i was hesitating as to wether to open the bottle or not. never used a 150 shot before a was a little timid. But greed overcame me and i purged the line and opened the bottle. i told him on the three honks we go.but he didn't listen i did the first two honks and he took off so i floor and to my complete amazment i hear a chip and i rip off after him and make up for the three lenghts he got on me and fly past him. after i had put about 10 or 11 lenghts on him and still pulling away i shut it down around a 110-115. we get to the track and the first thing he says is hope you don't feel cocky a stock ls1 could of took me at those speeds. Anyways, at the track the first run we did together i didn't get traction till the end of 2nd and he took me i ran a 8.35 and he ran a 8.25 ( sorry for some reason they weren't posting trap speeds for some reason).
    for the second race i feathered it out of first and slowly went wot in second, the then power shitfted into third. and got around my buddies subie and ran a 7.29. i don't if this site is bulshit but it told me that a 7.3 translate to 11.30 quater mile. And my question is if picked some drag radials how much would my et drop in the quater if this site is true in saying i ran a 11.3. ( the site is http://www.fl-thirdgen.org/quartermileconversion.html).

Sweet !

blue
    99 camaro ss

thanks, but how much do you think drag radials would reduce my time by in the quater contemplating on buying them or not . and would my diff hold with the bottle

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

well acording to my time slips... that site is actually pretty damn acurate...

NBM
    1998Z28

And according to my timeslip it is off as much as .20

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I just cross referenced it with some buddies that don't have LS1's...
    Grand AM GT
    Mustang GT
    Jetta 2.0L

and as it turns out... it says the Grand am should be faster by 1 second
    the Mustang Slower by 4 tenths... and the Jetta is nearly accurate off by like 2 tenths

so... I can safely say... it's a Hit or miss kinda site...

Quote Originally Posted by leviathon 88 View Post
    thanks, but how much do you think drag radials would reduce my time by in the quater contemplating on buying them or not . and would my diff hold with the bottle
    They'll make a big difference, how much time depends on you and the launch, but well worth the $$$ IMO.

Thread Information