Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

R&T on the 2007 Camaro

I don't know if this was posted on the site before it crashed, but here's what Road & Track magazine has to say about the 2007 Camaro.

The Mustang's success is fueling rumors that Chevy can't stand idly by while Ford reaps the rewards of owning an entire segment, that of the American pony car. Since the Camaro's demise two years ago, there had been speculation that Chevrolet was working on a new one, though that talk was more wishful thinking than anything else.

A new Camaro is a bit more problematic than just designing a new car and putting it into the market. One of the promises made by GM to the Canadian Auto Workers when it shuttered its Ste. Therese assembly plant that built the Camaro and Firebird was that if there would be a new one, it would be built in Canada.

Right now, the only cars built in Canada by GM are front-drive models at the Oshawa assembly plant outside Toronto. Thus, finding a suitable rear-drive platform for a new Camaro and putting it into prodction at Oshawa is a daunting task, especially as plans for the new rear-drive Zeta platform have been put on hold while GM figures out a lower-cost alternative.

One such scenario has a live rear-axle variant of Cadillac's Sigma (a so-called Sigma-Lite) that could be used to underpin the new Camaro, as well as rear-drive versions of the Impala and Monte Carlo. The benefits would be many--Chevy would have a credible rear-drive sedan for the police market, the Monte Carlo would return to rear drive, making it much closer in spirit to the cars being raced in NASCAR, and there would be an opportunity to re-enter the pony-car market with an all-new Canadian-built Camaro.

The new car would hae some heritage styling cues, but a shape more modern than the retro Mustang. The corporate parts bin has a wide rang of engines available with a base V-6 offering somewhere in the neighborhood of 240-bhp (either the 3.9-liter ohv unit used by Chevy and Pontiac or the high feature 3.6-liter overhead-cam motor found in Cadillacs and Buicks). The V-8 choices include a 300-bhp 5.3-liter and possibly the 400-bhp LS2 V-8 found in the GTO for a Camaro SS model.

If all the pieces fall into place, the plan calls for a Camaro concept to be shown at a major auto show, with the production version ready to go in less than a year. Insiders say top management is unhappy with the way the Solstice launch is playing out, with momentum being lost over the 20 months or so that it is taking to move the car from concept to showroom. Best-case scenario would have a 2006 unveiling of the concept with a 2007 launch of the Camaro, which would be the 40th anniversary of the original.

Personally I don't see a new Camaro coming out for sale until the 2008 model year, and I'm not banking on a new Camaro at all until I hear something firm from GM. But it's encouraging that the rumors are still flying, even in the mags.
    Last edited by SS#1531; 08-05-2005 at 02:52 PM.
    1998 Camaro SS
    Red w/ Silver stripes, M6, Hardtop
    Pretty much all the engine and suspension bolt-ons, and 3.73's

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

The LS2 better be standard dammit. The 5.3 with 300 hp isn't a piece of shit, but they can't have 4th gens blowing away 5th gens when they come out.

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

Yeah I would like to see the Z28 with a little more HP than 300. We don't want stock 4th gens to be faster than stock 5th gens. I do like the idea of there being a real HP difference between the Z28 and the SS though. What would be nice is if by the time it comes out, (if it does) that the base Corvette is putting out about 425hp, then the Z28 can have about 350hp, and the SS 400hp. Even more would be better, but I'm being realistic. Oh and I'd love it if the M6's had a 3.73 or even 4.10 option.

Bright Rally Red
    Camaro & Corvette

For all Camaro nuts. Go to the Detroit Auto Show in January. There will be something there that you will like.
    Ralph's Camaros
    2002 SS #2022 GMMG Exhaust,FLP LT Headers,Rapid Stage II Cam. 384 rwhp/381 rwtq

2005 C6 Corvette,Black,Z51, Corsa Exhaust, Kooks LT Headers w/H-Pipe,Halltech Stnger CAI, 388/rwhp & 380/rwtq

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I'd like the 5th gen. to have less hp then my 4th. This way I can laugh when we get to the next red light and he pulls up after me

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Arrest Me Red/T-Tops
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro
    For all Camaro nuts. Go to the Detroit Auto Show in January. There will be something there that you will like.
    Could you elaborate please?

TONY
    The Rumor Is That They Scraped The Project

SUCKIN GAS AND HAULIN A$$ LIGHTS_OUT's Avatar

White
    1998 Pontiac TransAm WS7

I hope GM makes the Camaro the way these pics look

2000SS
    Haha. That looks pretty wild. Sort of retro, but definitely modern as well.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTS_OUT
    I hope GM makes the Camaro the way these pics look
    I like the sides, but the front and back look too much like a stang and have to go! I'm in the process of photoshopping/photochopping (ed. is that even a word lol) those images to look more "camaro" like. Technicaly, I just slapped a camaro front and back onto it, but it still looks better IMHO . I'm still playing with the images, I'll try to post what I would like to see from GM later.

Rob

Silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Dance
    Could you elaborate please?
    Go check edmunds.com

There will be a Camaro Concept at the 2006 NAIAS

http://www.distortionfile.com/bb/index.php

silver
    99 GT vert

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106732

06 for the concept

09 would be the first model year.

The rims on the concepts of the Camaro are the EXACT same thing as mine, ROH RT's.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by WickedBird
    The rims on the concepts of the Camaro are the EXACT same thing as mine, ROH RT's.
    Any pics, wickedbird?

Rob

I dont think it's coming back anytime soon. I think it'll be like the charger, centuries later... it's back and retroed to the max with 4 doors. I'd rather it stay gone then come out with a little motor with 4 doors.

99z28landon
    Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro

All I can say is, listen to him!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me!!! C A M A R O people will love what is there..........

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Too retro IMHO and too much like the new crustang with its less aerodynamic nose.

White
    1998 Camaro SS

I would trade my 1st and second born to see that car be produced with 400+ hp. The photoshopped pics look killer. But in reality it would be built with a higher stance. Oh well, that car rocks.

Thread Information