questions about Ls1's

This is a discussion on questions about Ls1's within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; K, so I'm not sure where this is supposed to go 100%, but I own a Ls1 SS. So I ...

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

questions about Ls1's

K, so I'm not sure where this is supposed to go 100%, but I own a Ls1 SS. So I figured Ahh what the hell, here was good. My question is;

Are there different gens to Ls1's???

The reason I ask is bc my brother has an '04 goat and was looking to do the Vic jr intake, but he looked up some stuff and he told me that his engine was a 3rd gen Ls1??? So I told him it's an Ls1 dude, I don't think there is different gens. An Ls1 is an Ls1!!! Right!? Which leads me to bringing the question to you guys! (the Ls1 bible experts...lol)- Thanks guys in advance
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

Red
    2002 Camaro SS 35th LE

LS engine info

This should help you out some.
    2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition
    Vert M6
    SLP CAI
    Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Coated LT's
    3" Ebay Catted Hooker Y-Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth I Center Mount with SLP tips

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

+1 all ls1 engines are gen III
    Posted via Mobile Device

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    +1 all ls1 engines are gen III
    Posted via Mobile Device

Don't confuse gen III engine to the gen 4 Fbody.

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02SS35th View Post
    LS engine info

This should help you out some.
    After reading that, it is very interesting to know now that Chevy could have given the 2010 Camaros more hp than the 2010 Mustangs. Im sure 08 Corvettes had the extra 10hp due to higher flowing headers/exhaust manifolds. It is always likely that chevy puts restrictive intake and exhaust systems on camaros for some reason. Hah

Ray Charles blue

Am I not mistaken but are some aftermarket intakes for Corvettes different as they need to clear the firewall? Just something if you are buying one thing and trying to swap it in to another.

I thought there were just variations in heads (2 different 853s and then the 241s), intakes (LS1 to LS6), the cam profiles (3 different ones I think), and even little differences in the block (changed in 01 right). Not sure if this is all correct or not but I think I saw this.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Am I not mistaken but are some aftermarket intakes for Corvettes different as they need to clear the firewall? Just something if you are buying one thing and trying to swap it in to another.

I thought there were just variations in heads (2 different 853s and then the 241s), intakes (LS1 to LS6), the cam profiles (3 different ones I think), and even little differences in the block (changed in 01 right). Not sure if this is all correct or not but I think I saw this.
    I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think there are any variations of fitment issues between the fbodys and vettes as far as intake/firewall issues go. Both come not but inches away with the OPSU, but then again, I've been wrong before.

The heads, from what I've seen, there were 806s (I think thats the stamping), more common 853s, then of course the desireable 241s. Not sure of the percentage the 01/02s got, but it was more common for the 02s to have the LS6 intake/241 head combo. A few members on here have exact figures. As far as I know, the LS6 block (itself, not rotating internals) that was equipped in some '02 fbodys and the only major advantadge was the ventilation abilities. Again, not seen as a power advantadge, but I'm sure some view it as being better off than having a LS1 block.

Most owners here and on tech, just go with atleast a cam, perhaps upgrade the heads and intake, and throw a power adder on it. When/If a bearing spins, piston melts, etc.... depending on how bad the final result is, the block is usually trashed in favor of a larger iron block. The 5.7 (LS1/LS6) isn't a very sought after replacement for those wanting to make more power than originally had with their H/C/I combo. Main reason being, because of the maximum 0.010" overbore without having to re-sleeve. Last time I checked with a local machine shop, it was almost $200/cylinder to have this done. But then again, he may not have wanted to do it, thus being the reason why he drove the cost up, but it's all speculation, I heard the price, laughed, and went on with another conversation.

Hope this helps...

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

All engines 1997-2004 are Gen III
    All engines 2005-present are Gen IV

Most notable changes are relocation of Knock sensors from under the intake to the side of the block. Relocation of Cam sensor from back of block to front timing cover, and the change from a 24x crank reluctor to a 58x crank reluctor (2006-up).
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Thread Information