Black
    2000 Z28

Question A question of potential...?

I am deadset on buying an F-body fairly soon. I am an automotive tech student and american muscle is my addiction when it comes to performance, specifically Chevy's. I plan to eventually buy a 70' Chevelle but that is a project for much farther down the road.
    I don't like fords personally, but not in the "Mustank bashing" sense I just simply wouldnt want one for myself. Anyway back to why im posting, I want a Camaro Z28 anywhere from 93-02 ( or an SS ). This wont be my daily driver, i will be relying on my Legend for that, it will be a performance project so I'm looking for whatever year has the best potential for performance.
    I was originally just gonna buy an 00-02 SS or Z28, but if the potential for performance is ultimately the same I figure i could buy an older year for less and put that money towards the rather EXTENSIVE list of mods i have planned.
    This might be a roundabout question but i figured there would be some rather knowledgable F-body owners on here that could shed some light on this. Any information is appreciated.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Far as I know, the ls1 has the most potential using stock components, but you could always buy an aftermarket derivative, such as World's new warhawk lsx7, build it up your way, and drop into whichever you like best

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

what are you planning on changing? ls1 is definatly the way to go, but there are major differences between the 98-00 and the 01-02...such as the better stock cluch system and ls6 intake....but if your planning on going with a different intake..and a better clutch..get yourself a 98 for cheap and change those...specially if you plan on redoing the engine.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well like i said this wont be my daily driver so I'm going for rather extensive modifications, the intake and clutch will most definitely be changed and I
    ll probably pull the engine within the first few weeks of owning it to change the crank, cam, valve components and heads. As well as high compression pistons and what not since i plan on a supercharger in the future. So i supose the 98 will suit me just fine. Thanks for your opinion.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

For the mods you're talking about...i'd go with a 93-97 camaro/TA with the LT1...go for a 97 if you want the newer interior. The LT1 motor is a great motor and has a iron block which is stronger and better suited for what you want...the LS1 is also a great motor but has a all aluminum motor. Both have their strong and weak points...the stock power ratings won't matter to you since you are going to pull the motor anyway. Also the LT1 is more in the image of the SBC....besides the reverse cooling and opti.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I agree about the LT1 being very good to mod.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Im kinda doing the same thing as you. Im off to korea here in a few weeks for about 2 years (US Air Force). I just bought this car about a month ago knowing I wont be able to take it with me but with all the extra $$ ill be making over in korea ill have some major mod money when I get back. I picked the 98 mostly because I like the body style alot more than the LT1 body style. You could really go with either LT1 or LS1 if you plan on pulling the motor. You can do alot more with the LT1 block because it is an Iron block vs the aluminum LS1 block. The LS1 will react better to boltons and mild mods (Heads, Cam, Supercharger). When you start geting into some of the more major mods (stroker motors) the Iron block is going to be able to handle more. Im simply going to bite the bullet and buy a 402 Iron block LS1 which will solve my prolem. I read an article from a reputable engine builder that sais the LS1's will handle around 550hp before the block starts having structual and heat issues.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

I would lean towards the ls1, they have a ton of potential. From 98-02 are the years the ls1 were made. What i did was look for a 98 or 99 low miles and for a decent price,and just mod the hell out of it. This way you wont spend a fortune on the car, and you'll be able to do some things right off the bat. I picked up my car last year a 99 SS w/ 18600 miles for very cheap. But it had a lot of things done to it already like......

Whisper Lid
    MAF Regulator
    Diablo Sport Tuning
    Harmonic Balancer

Silver
    2002 Z28

definately vote for the LS1 the LT1 has a lot of problems.. also you will get the good looking rear end. 98-99 would suit you just fine prolly... with the mods you are talking about you wont need what the newer ones have like the LS6 intake manifold, bigger injectors etc b/c you will be modding them off anyway

Black
    2000 Z28

Interesting,
    I'm looking for whatever will accept a turbo setup with the least amount of problems. Im gonna put 1.75" headers to dual cutouts into a cat-back system. I'm gonna have both of the cutouts with the electric switches mounted inside for easy operation. I'm not a fan of juice so i probably wont be juicin' it just gonna rely on a good turbo setup. Eventually I'll go for stronger crank, pistons and a good cam setup. I supose I'll see as i go, but im looking to put out a little bit above 525 hp at the wheels.
    Obviosly im gonna do all the chassis and suspension mods as well as probably stage three clutch and probably a moser rear. If anyone sees any holes in my plan lemme know, I'm a mechanic so i know what im doing but I'm sure some of you are more knowledgable about f-bodys.

lee1rbc
    Go LS1. You can reach almost 500rwhp with just a good head and cam package With bolt ons. twin turbo you are talking 750rwhp.

Thread Information