Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Question about my M6

This is a discussion on Question about my M6 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So basically not really that much to buy an SS? Glad I went with the Z28 then....

  1. #21
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    So basically not really that much to buy an SS? Glad I went with the Z28 then.

  2. #22
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    So basically not really that much to buy an SS? Glad I went with the Z28 then.
    yeah the amount extra you pay for the ss when buying a z, you can put those towards mods to make your z a lot faster than any stock ss

  3. #23
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I put in an '02 master cylinder for my car, and it did help, but not perfect. Now my clutch pedal goes away after a 1/4 mile run (or when I am on it and after I shift into 4th) but it is better than my stock mc was. I did not do the drill mod on the new mc bc I wanted to see the difference. The clutch engagement is somewhat higher on the travel now.

  4. #24
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I put in an '02 master cylinder for my car, and it did help, but not perfect. Now my clutch pedal goes away after a 1/4 mile run (or when I am on it and after I shift into 4th) but it is better than my stock mc was. I did not do the drill mod on the new mc bc I wanted to see the difference. The clutch engagement is somewhat higher on the travel now.
    i would say it sounds like your slave is letting fluid by pass, thus causing a bubble to form when the fluid gets hot, maybe its dirty and is holding onto moisture, my recomendation is drive the car till you have saved enough to buy a new clutch, and when you do get a new master as well, this will solve your problem

  5. #25
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    i would say it sounds like your slave is letting fluid by pass, thus causing a bubble to form when the fluid gets hot, maybe its dirty and is holding onto moisture, my recomendation is drive the car till you have saved enough to buy a new clutch, and when you do get a new master as well, this will solve your problem
    Uh, my mc is 1 year old. The fluid was new then, and it was new 1 year before I got the '02 mc. I am thinking I need to do the drill mod on my '02 mc. Clutch has never slipped except after some quick times at the track.

  6. #26
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    not your master cylinder, your slave cylinder, its actually in the bell housing.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Thanx I'll try that when I get a new clutch.

  8. #28
    Member kensz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mississipi
    Posts
    181

    Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

    I'm with you on this one. I have read the factory hole size in the line is too small and doesn't allow the fluid to return fast enough after you let up on the clutch and mash back on it quickly. Usually between 1st and 2nd gear shifts. There are stainless braided hoses you can purchase to eliminate this or drill out the end of the line. It should be held in with a roll pin. I'm assuming, since I have never removed mine but it isn't too dissimilar from the setup in the T5 tranny in my 79 Malibu.

  9. #29
    Member slpcamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunnyvale
    Posts
    453

    silver
    98 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    a fully slp optioned ss vs a z28 around the road course and on the strip im sure an ss would be a bit faster. not much thou
    a regular ss-better suspension, a short throw shifter(not as short as aftermarket but shorted then the z28), the hood on the ss is working so your forcing air in there so you get more gain, also when you start modding you'll be able to force the air you need to see a real gain. With the z28 you won't be pushing as much air in.

    slp ss- suspension, your also get the slp performance parts for it's about a 25hp difference. again the hood is working so much better airflow. I've seen badges for 400hp for the slp not sure if they came stock or after market but it has the the full slp intake exhaust with the headers high flow cats it puts about 400 to the crank instead of a z28's 325.

    visual- the ss has a more aggressive look with the hood as well as a different spoiler more of a personal preference, personally the z28 doesn't look to different then an rs and the ss from the 98 and up look a lot more aggressive but again thats personal opinion.

  10. #30
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    Should I get that full SLP induction kit or just get the LID? 300 bucks is a lot for induction.

  11. #31
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    a regular ss-better suspension, a short throw shifter(not as short as aftermarket but shorted then the z28), the hood on the ss is working so your forcing air in there so you get more gain, also when you start modding you'll be able to force the air you need to see a real gain. With the z28 you won't be pushing as much air in.

    slp ss- suspension, your also get the slp performance parts for it's about a 25hp difference. again the hood is working so much better airflow. I've seen badges for 400hp for the slp not sure if they came stock or after market but it has the the full slp intake exhaust with the headers high flow cats it puts about 400 to the crank instead of a z28's 325.

    visual- the ss has a more aggressive look with the hood as well as a different spoiler more of a personal preference, personally the z28 doesn't look to different then an rs and the ss from the 98 and up look a lot more aggressive but again thats personal opinion.


    here, ill help you clear some inconsistencies up,
    a normal ss has absolutely no uprgrades in suspension, a shorter shifter or makes any more power than a z28. the only differance is the hood spoiler wheels and exhaust tips.

    here's where it changes you can order a slp optioned ss in any way shape or form. from so to speak a stage 1 which like i described to a stage 2 2.5 or 3

    if you ordered a suspension upgrade thru slp you got some slp/ eibach springs and bilsteins. bigger sway bar than a z28 in the back but not in the front, depending on year.

    performance was a blackwing lid, computer re flash, a dual dual exhaust or cme exhaust, to a castrol synthetic package

    accessories. these can go from car covers. to portfolio's to dash plaques key fob's deck matts and floor matts.


    basically what im saying, for an ss to have a slp upgrades performance and suspension package is very rare, so saying an ss is faster is not ussually true, it all depends on the options and like i said very few cars have them

    my car for ex, is optioned with the cme exhaust, dash plaque, key fobs, 345 performance package, deck lid, floor mats, and zr1 wheels.


    im sure i missed a few tiny details feel free to add or correct if need be

    oh and i forgot, the ss hood and t/a hood for that matter has been proven to add no hp. all it does is add turbulence

  12. #32
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Should I get that full SLP induction kit or just get the LID? 300 bucks is a lot for induction.
    honestly i love slp do death, but i have personally seen actaul gains with the fast toys ram air

  13. #33
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    honestly i love slp do death, but i have personally seen actaul gains with the fast toys ram air
    Which is better? And another question. I been looking for ways to save gas. Is it alright to pop it into 6th gear at around 45? Its around 1k RPM's. I heard that could be bad for some trannys.

  14. #34
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Which is better? And another question. I been looking for ways to save gas. Is it alright to pop it into 6th gear at around 45? Its around 1k RPM's. I heard that could be bad for some trannys.
    the slp lid i think looks best and performs best, but the fast toys ram air kit is cheaper and works better.

    and if saving gas is what you want, overinflate your tires, drive like a grandma, maybe change the plugs and wires on your car depending on how many miles it has

  15. #35
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    But would popping it into 6th while cruising around 45 be bad for the tranny? Around 1k. It seems I only get around 14-15mpg around city. To a completely full tank of gas I got 290 miles.

  16. #36
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    But would popping it into 6th while cruising around 45 be bad for the tranny? Around 1k. It seems I only get around 14-15mpg around city. To a completely full tank of gas I got 290 miles.
    it is probably lugging the motor, if the car shakes while doing it its bad, if it seems to cruise a long smooth, there is no harm in that, but i cant imagine it not being lugged,

  17. #37
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    It shakes right in the beginning. If I have it at like 1.2k RPM's then it rides smooth.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    45 is kinda low for 6th. I do it sometimes, but I am VERY easy on the gas when I accelerate in that geat at that speed. If your car is stock, it will probably be ok, if you have a cam, forget it. And, your tach is probably off, 45 MPH in 6th should easily be under 1000 RPM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. speedometer question + top speed question
    By Krazy351w in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
  2. HPIII question (not the same old question)
    By slims00ls1z28 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
  3. 97 Bird Headlight question also engine noise question
    By Zapper2003 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
  4. Speedometer question, RPO question
    By acrylicophobia in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
  5. Sex Question spinoff- PORN QUESTION
    By egaian in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •