Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Putting a LS6 in to replace the stock LS1

This is a discussion on Putting a LS6 in to replace the stock LS1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Heres is a local ls-6 vette mti x1, 228/230, 581/591, 112 netted him 430rwhp 405 tq It's the whole money ...

  1. #21
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Heres is a local ls-6 vette
    mti x1, 228/230, 581/591, 112
    netted him 430rwhp 405 tq
    It's the whole money issue again you could take off your heads and have someone do a port job netting you about 10 hp w/ supporting mods, also have fast port the manifold before you get it. Both those w/ a 230 cam and you should be in your happy place.

  2. #22
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The tranny should be good miles is the issue, the first thing to go will probably be the clutch but I don't see you doing hard driving for a while. A 230/230 cam would probably net you close to 450rwhp.
    The clutch, pressure plate, flyweel where replaced when the car received the tranny around 80k miles. Look at signature on first post.

  3. #23
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    To show where jujofields is coming from
    Heres some used ones
    408 long block (really stroked ls-2)
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...plus-more.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...ron-block.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-pa...ort-block.html

    all good stuff but still considerably more money and a crate engine is good to go.
    You'll be plenty capable of your power goals w/ an ls-6 as you would be w/ an ls-2 and for less money; if it was considerably past 500 up to 600hp then different story.
    Last edited by c5z28; 03-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.

  4. #24
    Member jujofields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    900

    Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

    But think of the potential having roughly 6.6L versus 5.7L!

  5. #25
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    But think of the potential having roughly 6.6L versus 5.7L!
    Shit I got you trumped with the 7.4l pontiac 455 and the 440 in the charger. Great motors and w/o a doubt the best way to go but realistically in these times $3500 for a long block over $4000 for a shortblock. I'm w/ you thow man a forged 454lsx w/ twin turbos

  6. #26
    Junior Member Octavain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NW, Arkansas
    Posts
    77

    White
    1998 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Heres is a local ls-6 vette
    mti x1, 228/230, 581/591, 112
    netted him 430rwhp 405 tq
    It's the whole money issue again you could take off your heads and have someone do a port job netting you about 10 hp w/ supporting mods, also have fast port the manifold before you get it. Both those w/ a 230 cam and you should be in your happy place.
    And I could always throw in some N2O
    Last edited by Octavain; 03-14-2009 at 06:06 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Spaz has the ls6 crate engine from GMPP and he put down like 396hp/382tq with LMII and lid. I'm not sure what the difference is between the GMPP ls6 crate and the one from CED but the one from CED is cheaper...?

    If you'd wanna stay stock cube I'd say do a forged 347 with nice heads and cam or build it for nitrous or even better (if you have the money)...boost!!!

  8. #28
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    If your looking at spending the money get a stroker. I just ordered my TSP 408. with all of he mods i have done (18k worth before the stroker) i still wasnt happy and i was making 397RWHP. if your gunna do it, do it right. spend the money on the stroker with forged internal then later if you want you can still FI or N20. so lets see 474-500+rwhp with the option to still run a 150 wet shot or procharger hmmmmmmm ya i think that sounds good to me. it a sickness, once you start you just cant stop. If you have any question send me a PM or just post.

  9. #29
    Member jujofields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    900

    Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    If your looking at spending the money get a stroker. I just ordered my TSP 408. with all of he mods i have done (18k worth before the stroker) i still wasnt happy and i was making 397RWHP. if your gunna do it, do it right. spend the money on the stroker with forged internal then later if you want you can still FI or N20. so lets see 474-500+rwhp with the option to still run a 150 wet shot or procharger hmmmmmmm ya i think that sounds good to me. it a sickness, once you start you just cant stop. If you have any question send me a PM or just post.

    There we go, someone sees it my way!

  10. #30
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    There we go, someone sees it my way!
    of course, thats just way to much money for an LS6.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Well I've done some research on the early LS1 blocks. They don't have as strong piston rod bolts, also the oil flow is more restrictive in the block on the 98 LS1 blocks, and the block as a weaker design then later LS1 blocks. So the problem with throwing more HP by putting in new heads, cam, etc... is still having a weaker bottom end and not being able to lubricate my new parts properly. And the motor is going to be a high mileage motor in one to two years.
    since you done your homework what is highest hp your seen from a 98 motor? ive seen high 4s na and i think around 550 on N20.

    you are right as they are little weaker but still works

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    450-500 RWHP on all motor. Would be awesome! My car originally was a automatic and the previous owner put in a t-56 from a C5 Corvette and I don't know how much power a t-56 can take. Do you know how much a C5 T-56 Tranny can take? I put in a 9" Moser so I'm good there. Not sure on cam specs yet I have hear a lot of people using texas speed way to purchase and find out what cam would be best for their application. But if you have any input that would be sweet.

    I spent 9.5g on my car 2 years ago and had 88k miles on it, with a clear title.
    have you seen a Vette t56? its not totally the same as a Fbody T56. Also all the blocks 4.8-7.0 are all the same dimensisons so they all fit. its the inside of them that are different as in bore and stroke

  13. #33
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    the best part of the tsp 402/408(or just about any 402/408 combo with the gen III/IV blocks) is it is truely plug and play. you can use the stock wiring harness no problem like putting in a brand new ls1. the outside dimensions are not rediculuosly different(assuming they are different at all). stroking or boring a motor to a bigger size doesnt change your outside dimension at all it is all internal work. if you have money to toss away and try multiple combos then be my guest. but these cars are 11 years old. so im sure there are some things that you can think of that someone might have tried or at least thought about. the best advice would be really to keep asking question before you make a decision. alot of people will be more than willing to help you out and find the easiest and most inexpensive route.

    also it sounds like your swap isnt necessary. some people switch to an ls6 because of broken down cars and it is a cheap quick route to get the car on the road. but personally mine is running fine so i wont think of an ls6 because it really doesnt match up with what i want. and i want my z to be a project to where i dont have to pay more than what is necessary(as in one engine swap not multiple down the road). i hate redoing unnecessary things. but it does and will almost always happen. just do what you can to minimize redoing work.

  14. #34
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    the best part of the tsp 402/408(or just about any 402/408 combo with the gen III/IV blocks) is it is truely plug and play. you can use the stock wiring harness no problem like putting in a brand new ls1. the outside dimensions are not rediculuosly different(assuming they are different at all). stroking or boring a motor to a bigger size doesnt change your outside dimension at all it is all internal work. if you have money to toss away and try multiple combos then be my guest. but these cars are 11 years old. so im sure there are some things that you can think of that someone might have tried or at least thought about. the best advice would be really to keep asking question before you make a decision. alot of people will be more than willing to help you out and find the easiest and most inexpensive route.

    also it sounds like your swap isnt necessary. some people switch to an ls6 because of broken down cars and it is a cheap quick route to get the car on the road. but personally mine is running fine so i wont think of an ls6 because it really doesnt match up with what i want. and i want my z to be a project to where i dont have to pay more than what is necessary(as in one engine swap not multiple down the road). i hate redoing unnecessary things. but it does and will almost always happen. just do what you can to minimize redoing work.
    Very good advice! I wish I'd have had the money for a 400+ ci motor but I had to save up for 4 months just to buy all the stuff to rebuild mine. Next time it blows up, a 408 is gonna be going in!

  15. #35
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Very good advice! I wish I'd have had the money for a 400+ ci motor but I had to save up for 4 months just to buy all the stuff to rebuild mine. Next time it blows up, a 408 is gonna be going in!

    Thats the sprit!!

  16. #36
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Thats the sprit!!
    well It was at least another 2k for me to spend on a 400+ and I'm young and live on my own. If I'd have know I was gonna be moving back home I'd have waited and had an even more badass car

  17. #37
    Junior Member red99camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    96

    red
    99 camaro ss

    there is no replacement for displacement, unless you are going big regardless of parts used its just average, do it once do it right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need to replace stock speakers
    By 98 Purple TA in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
  2. Torque Arm Stock or Replace
    By seppburgh in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 05:36 AM
  3. Want to replace stock wheels - need help
    By chuckstop00 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 09:35 PM
  4. Looking to replace stock 02 SS tires
    By Pewter02SS in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
  5. Putting on a E-Cutout upgrade to 3" or stay stock?
    By eddielb in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 04:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •