Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Camaro

Putting a LS6 in to replace the stock LS1

Okay so I have 118k miles on the original motor in my 1998 Camaro m6. I've been looking at a couple of options to replace my stock engine.

One option is http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx

Second optionhttps://store.gmperformanceparts.com...!--17801268-->

As anyone done a swap from the ls1 to the ls6? Any help would be useful.
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

Velocity Yellow
    2000 Camaro SS

you should just rebuild the motor you have and get some nice heads/cam and you will have more power in the end.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

I have a 99 Camaro SS and i did an Ls1 to Ls6 Swap and all i had to do was change the oil pan back to camaro and i used all my original electronics. it was easy!!

if your motor isnt hurt i wouldnt worry about mileage

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    if your motor isnt hurt i wouldnt worry about mileage
    Screw that...get a badass LS6 and throw it in there! You will be happy.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by reds10406 View Post
    you should just rebuild the motor you have and get some nice heads/cam and you will have more power in the end.
    Rebuilding a high mileage `98 usually requires a new block because of the thinner liners used in `97-98 Blocks.

I've tossed up the same idea but would do a Cam swap before installing the engine in he car since you would have easy access to everything.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Screw that...get a badass LS6 and throw it in there! You will be happy.
    if motor isnt hurt there is no reason to drop a new motor in the same size. toss heads and cam in and be stronger then a ls6. if motor is on its way south then yes up grade, if still heathy then mod away.

Velocity Yellow
    2000 Camaro SS

exactly, if your going to go through all that work make it worth it, ls2 or ls3

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Option one and two are the same just different suppliers right? If you don't want to rebuild the bottom end a crate motor is a good way to stop yourself from spending extra on those slightly better heads, cam and bs. Being the kid I am I would throw on the headers and put in a asa cam so you can use the stock springs (another $250), Easy extra $600 I know but it should put you at or above 400whp w/out really tearing your brand new crate motor apart.

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    if motor isnt hurt there is no reason to drop a new motor in the same size. toss heads and cam in and be stronger then a ls6. if motor is on its way south then yes up grade, if still heathy then mod away.
    Well I've done some research on the early LS1 blocks. They don't have as strong piston rod bolts, also the oil flow is more restrictive in the block on the 98 LS1 blocks, and the block as a weaker design then later LS1 blocks. So the problem with throwing more HP by putting in new heads, cam, etc... is still having a weaker bottom end and not being able to lubricate my new parts properly. And the motor is going to be a high mileage motor in one to two years.

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Option one and two are the same just different suppliers right? If you don't want to rebuild the bottom end a crate motor is a good way to stop yourself from spending extra on those slightly better heads, cam and bs. Being the kid I am I would throw on the headers and put in a asa cam so you can use the stock springs (another $250), Easy extra $600 I know but it should put you at or above 400whp w/out really tearing your brand new crate motor apart.
    No option one and two are very different in what comes with the LS6, yes they are the same motor. But option two includes: water pump, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, coil packs, etc... and option one is just a short block LS6. Basically I'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to go with option 1 or 2. Because option two comes with those necessary parts and option one doesn't, I guess I could use some of my older parts on my current ls1 to keep cost down. IDEAS???

Here is what I plan on doing before putting in the motor. Upgrade intake to a Fast 92 intake and throttle body, Kooks headers, and probably a bigger cam something similar to the ls6 hot came.
    Last edited by Octavain; 03-14-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Lots of guys locally either switch to the lq9/ls6. Myself, I would find a good used block and go all the way through it and replace everything with good forged components.

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by reds10406 View Post
    exactly, if your going to go through all that work make it worth it, ls2 or ls3
    The reason why is that the LS6 is exactly the same size that the LS1. So I'm going to be able to avoid any clearance issues that may occur with a LS2 or LS3, right? Because LS2 is 6.0L and LS3 is 6.2L is more volume essentially meaning bigger, and I mean the engine bay is already cramped as is. CORRECT?? Also for the 30 to 40 hp gain you get with LS3 it's about 1G more expensive than the LS6. I'm no professional I'm a novice at best, and going in and rebuilding a motor pretty much isn't exactly what I have in mind, because I lack the experience.
    Last edited by Octavain; 03-14-2009 at 08:30 AM.

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

Don't know your budget but check this out.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS37...9-P2218C2.aspx

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    No option one and two are very different in what comes with the LS6, yes they are the same motor. But option two includes: water pump, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, coil packs, etc... and option one is just a short block LS6. Basically I'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to go with option 1 or 2. Because option two comes with those necessary parts and option one doesn't, I guess I could use some of my older parts on my current ls1 to keep cost down. IDEAS???

Here is what I plan on doing before putting in the motor. Upgrade intake to a Fast 92 intake and throttle body, Kooks headers, and probably a bigger cam something similar to the ls6 hot came.
    To lazy to read all that Well by the sound of it your getting rid of the shitty manifolds, your upgrading to a fast you can reuse the coil packs and the ecu, and technically you could use the stock water pump so I guess the the first option is the way to go. Since they both come w/ heads and cam and oil pan they are both technically long blocks. Now a ls2(364) or a 402(stroked ls-2) fits in just the same the ls-6 and the ls-2 have the same heads so no need to worry about that. You would get more power from the 402 but the short block cost $4,000 opposed to your $3500 long block
    heres a link for shits and giigles if your going to be dropping the dough you should call these guys and just tell them your story you'll come out better for it
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=28

White
    1998 Camaro

Thanks, like I said I'm a novice at best!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Thanks, like I said I'm a novice at best!
    I wish someone would have did the same for me spent 13,500 on my car join a forum and find a supercharged one for 15,000
    You could alway go bigger but your ls6 w/ cam and header sounds like its going to be stout and it will be a few grand less than a stroked ls-2.any idea on cam specs or hp goals?

White
    1998 Camaro

450-500 RWHP on all motor. Would be awesome! My car originally was a automatic and the previous owner put in a t-56 from a C5 Corvette and I don't know how much power a t-56 can take. Do you know how much a C5 T-56 Tranny can take? I put in a 9" Moser so I'm good there. Not sure on cam specs yet I have hear a lot of people using texas speed way to purchase and find out what cam would be best for their application. But if you have any input that would be sweet.

I spent 9.5g on my car 2 years ago and had 88k miles on it, with a clear title.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The tranny should be good miles is the issue, the first thing to go will probably be the clutch but I don't see you doing hard driving for a while. A 230/230 cam would probably net you close to 450rwhp.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

IMHO, if you are going to be investing the time & money for an engine swap, you might as well go for a stroked 402" iron block as opposed to the ls6 block. The difference in hp/tq between the two motors is huge! Also, you could buy a used stroker motor that's ready to go from members on here or ls1tech.com and save a lot of $$$$.

Thread Information