Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Put on my winter tires and raised the ss......

This is a discussion on Put on my winter tires and raised the ss...... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Blizzak's FTMFW! Honestly, I wasn't going to drive mine again this year but with Blizzak's the Camaro drives 100x better ...

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Blizzak's FTMFW!

Honestly, I wasn't going to drive mine again this year but with Blizzak's the Camaro drives 100x better than my FWD Monte Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i can drive the speed limit and laugh at ff and 4x4 cars spinning and in the ditch
    I love to laugh at them too, lol

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Ya you're right that was pretty mean towards the v6 guys. Sorry v6 guys I let that one slip.

The maro is a heavy car with decent weight balance and a posi. Add skinny snows and it's no wonder it drives so well in the snow. I think a lot of people think 4x4 means it will own snow. Without winter tires I see my share of SUVs and trucks in the barriers and ditches every year. With a high center of gravity etc I'd guess it doesn't help matters when trying to go fast on slippery roads. With winter tires especially on a beast like posted above that would be pretty badass I must say.
    No prob I'm kinda used to it..

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Blizzak's FTMFW!

Click for full size

Honestly, I wasn't going to drive mine again this year but with Blizzak's the Camaro drives 100x better than my FWD Monte Carlo
    Man I'm glad I don't have to look at that stuff anymore.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Blizzak's FTMFW!

Click for full size

I love to laugh at them too, lol
    That is actually an awesome shot!..

Kinda like , ice fishin'..

jk just kiddin' That is pretty cool tho (copied and pasted)..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

FWIW:
    for the price of rims/tires for snows i bought a 93 buick lesabre for $900...

granted, then i have to pay for snows for the buick as well as storage for the camaro but to me it seems like the best option.. i've gotten upwards of 34+ mpg on highway trips with the buick. not bad at all for a 17 yr old car. and the snow tires i put on it were hankook ipikes. cheap as hell and work perfect in snow.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    FWIW:

granted, then i have to pay for snows for the buick as well as storage for the camaro but to me it seems like the best option.. i've gotten upwards of 34+ mpg on highway trips with the buick. not bad at all for a 17 yr old car. and the snow tires i put on it were hankook ipikes. cheap as hell and work perfect in snow.
    3800-I + large heavy car and good skinnies = Tank..

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

FWIW:

That's a good deal, and good mileage.

For me, I've got a FWD Monte that I got back this year, but the tires are shot and I slid through an intersection so I decided not to drive it in the snow., I lucked out on my Blizzacks last year, they discontinued the LM-22's and I got them on tire rack for $70 each! And I already had 17" rims for them

FWIW:

I agree, if anyone cares about their camaro's they'd be getting a beater for winter.

It's not really the snow that is a pain, it's all the salt they throw down with it. That shit eats through metal in a very short period of time. Even after a couple of short winters you'll have bolts siezed and snapping off under the car. Prolong use will have rusty floor pans and quarter panels.

I hated the salt, and always kept a little V8 Monza to drive in the snow as a beater. I'd get about 4 years out of it before it turned to dust, then just buy another one. I battled the salt for 30+ years out there, it sucks.
    That's what's nice about out west here now, even in the higher elevations when it does snow,,,,they just throw down a little sand and call it done

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Idk... My Camaro has seen 2 winters before and the only thing that is rusty is the 10-bolt cover.. The Floor pans underneath are completely clean.. but I frequently wash the underside of the car during the winter as well...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    3800-I + large heavy car and good skinnies = Tank..
    that was ment in a good way..

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

that picture is awesome man

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I wash my underbody at least once a week. Also around here they nearly use salt anymore. If my body gets ruined..I will buy a new one..or a vette. I plan on picking up a g8 gt for dd use in about a month or so..if I get this job

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's what we have this for.....

Click for full size

Although the camaro in the backround is my wifes daily driver, and it comes out rain or shine, (when it rains here,,lol) if the weather ever gets bad and we dare to venture out,,,it's 4x4 all the way. Especially if we head up to Flagstaff where the snow really falls. Besides, you can't take the camaro trail riding in the mountains either
    Amazing that in your old old old age you can even get up into that beast..I thought you'd be driving your hoveround everywhere

Amazing that in your old old old age you can even get up into that beast..I thought you'd be driving your hoveround everywhere
    Funny you mention that. I just told my wife the other day I need to build a step for this thing
    I've been reluctant because I always felt they ruin the body lines and the overall look of these old blazers. So I'll have to get inventive and make something inconspicuous.

It's also the reason I didn't raise this truck and kept the stock ride height. The last jeep I built had a 2 inch body and 4 inch chassis lift, I got sick of climbing in the damn thing, and I didn't want to put steps on that either, would have just ruined the look I had specifically built it for

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Funny you mention that. I just told my wife the other day I need to build a step for this thing
    I've been reluctant because I always felt they ruin the body lines and the overall look of these old blazers. So I'll have to get inventive and make something inconspicuous.

It's also the reason I didn't raise this truck and kept the stock ride height. The last jeep I built had a 2 inch body and 4 inch chassis lift, I got sick of climbing in the damn thing, and I didn't want to put steps on that either, would have just ruined the look I had specifically built it for

Click for full size
    You have had quite the varity of cars through the years..

You have had quite the varity of cars through the years..
    Too many, I've still got 10 of them sitting here of various makes and models, and not all GM either.

Out of some I let go,,,,,that jeep is one I wish I had back. It was a real sleeper that made it an absolute blast to drive.

Hide ya kids Hide ya wife 94ss06gxp's Avatar

Silver, Stealth Gray
    97 SS CLONE, 06 GP GXP

the big thing about winter driving an F Body is not that isnt good with some winter tires but id rather pay up to $1000 for a winter beater and have some asshole slide thru a stoplight and total it then having them take out my camaro. haha

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp View Post
    the big thing about winter driving an F Body is not that isnt good with some winter tires but id rather pay up to $1000 for a winter beater and have some asshole slide thru a stoplight and total it then having them take out my camaro. haha
    No different than some asshole running a redlight in summer or t boning you...it is a risk most take...plus not like there is a shortage of f bodies..someone totals my bird ill get my g8 and have a good chunk to go towards a z06

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

someone totals my bird ill get my g8 and have a good chunk to go towards a z06
    lol, Is it bad that I think the same way? If someone nails mine, I'll finally get my C5.. I've been trying to sell my damn car for 4 months

Although I don't care to drive ours in the snow, I do share the same thoughts. 4th gens are a dime a dozen. Our last one was totalled 3 years ago, rearended on a bright sunny day, go figure
    It allowed me to go out and find a better, nicer 4th gen with 70,000 less miles on it
    I told my wife I didn't care if she totaled this one either because I have had plans for a drivetrain retro swap in the future anyway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information