Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulled my cousins Z out of storage today

Going to finish putting it together finally. Paint is new, needs cleaned from sitting in storage. Cammed 355, 350 H.P., factory 4-speed.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

luvin the l-88 style hood. Those look especially awesome with the center replace with a "mail box" scoop and a big blower or tunnel ram. So that's a '71-'72 correct? I think the '70 is rated at 365 horsepower before they dropped the compression.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

sexy

70 1/2. Motor is not original. The motor is actually out of a truck we used to race at a local dirt track.

We also have a '69 skylark custom deluxe in the garage for resto. It's getting a heavily built 455 and 4-speed.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Can't wait to see some pics of it cleaned up

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by joestacey06 View Post
    70 1/2. Motor is not original. The motor is actually out of a truck we used to race at a local dirt track.

We also have a '69 skylark custom deluxe in the garage for resto. It's getting a heavily built 455 and 4-speed.
    < anything with a gm 455

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

How long has it been in storage?

Black
    98 Z28

Clean that bad boy up and post more pics!

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

awhskeetskeetskeet

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    How long has it been in storage?

Few years.

Also, the hood is getting replaced with a stock hood eventually. This one is cracking around the scoop. Then it will get painted again. It's supposed to be factory color but the guy got the wrong shade of copper.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    < anything with a gm 455
    Motor is from a 72 Buick Electra. Car sat behind our house for at least 8 years. Put a battery in it and a little gas in the carb and it fired right up. Dropped it in gear and burned the tires off.

It's now sitting in southern PA at an engine builders waiting to hear what we what done. He also has our 406 race motor.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've always loved those split bumper Camaros. My Aunt bought a new SS 396 4 spd with 4.10s, think it was a split bumper also. I remember my dad waxing it, and a few years later my brothers were old enough that my aunt would let them have the car for a weekend. They never wrecked it, and took my 11 year old ass for a few rides. I've always wondered whey they continued to call them 396s in the early 70s.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I've always loved those split bumper Camaros. My Aunt bought a new SS 396 4 spd with 4.10s, think it was a split bumper also. I remember my dad waxing it, and a few years later my brothers were old enough that my aunt would let them have the car for a weekend. They never wrecked it, and took my 11 year old ass for a few rides. I've always wondered whey they continued to call them 396s in the early 70s.
    Not to be a dick but you do realize that this car is not a real RS (split bumber) car don't you? Wrong parking lights and lack of an Endura nose show this. This doesn't mean it isn't a real Z/28 though. That was a separate option that can be verified by the presence of "Z28" showing on the cowl tag.

Also it's a late model 70 as shown by the tall seats and tall spoiler. Car appears to be in good shape from the pix.

Chevy continued to call the (bored .030" over 396) 402 a 396 because they had tons of $$$ poured into the name identification (SS 396).

Edit: Are you sure it's a 70? The grill looks like a 72 or 73?
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 10-28-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

LOL, dick, I know more about Trans Ams then I do about Camaros. No I didn't know about the split bumber option, just always liked the SS396 cars with 4 speed trans, for reasons stated above! J/K! I just remember my Aunt's car, it was awesome back in the day!

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

ooooh yeah that looks good, even better when its all nice and pretty

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Not to be a dick but you do realize that this car is not a real RS (split bumber) car don't you? Wrong parking lights and lack of an Endura nose show this. This doesn't mean it isn't a real Z/28 though. That was a separate option that can be verified by the presence of "Z28" showing on the cowl tag.

Also it's a late model 70 as shown by the tall seats and tall spoiler. Car appears to be in good shape from the pix.

Edit: Are you sure it's a 70? The grill looks like a 72 or 73?
    We looked at the title and the year is right. He said when he got it the front fenders weren't original. Possible that it could have been wrecked and the whole front was replaced. We're gonna do more research. If that's the case we're gonna find the right grill and parking light setup.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That'll make a nice little project.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by joestacey06 View Post
    We looked at the title and the year is right. He said when he got it the front fenders weren't original. Possible that it could have been wrecked and the whole front was replaced. We're gonna do more research. If that's the case we're gonna find the right grill and parking light setup.
    Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 2 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

At any rate nice car. They are getting to be thin on the ground these days.

Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 2 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

I know the tag is there. I will look at it tomorrow night.

I'll pass the compliments on to my cousin. He bought the car in '02 and gave it to his boy last year for x-mas. Now we're going to finish it for him.

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 3 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

There, fixed... I kno, I'm a dick . You are definatly on the ball though '67! I'm a big fan of the early 2nd gen. RS front ends (the real ones). LOL!
    Ya, more pics when it's clean!!!

Thread Information