Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Pulled my cousins Z out of storage today

This is a discussion on Pulled my cousins Z out of storage today within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Going to finish putting it together finally. Paint is new, needs cleaned from sitting in storage. Cammed 355, 350 H.P., ...

  1. #1
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200

    Pulled my cousins Z out of storage today

    Going to finish putting it together finally. Paint is new, needs cleaned from sitting in storage. Cammed 355, 350 H.P., factory 4-speed.




  2. #2
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    luvin the l-88 style hood. Those look especially awesome with the center replace with a "mail box" scoop and a big blower or tunnel ram. So that's a '71-'72 correct? I think the '70 is rated at 365 horsepower before they dropped the compression.

  3. #3
    Impounded 86 IROC-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    .
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,760

    Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

    sexy

  4. #4
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200
    70 1/2. Motor is not original. The motor is actually out of a truck we used to race at a local dirt track.


    We also have a '69 skylark custom deluxe in the garage for resto. It's getting a heavily built 455 and 4-speed.

  5. #5
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Can't wait to see some pics of it cleaned up

  6. #6
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    Quote Originally Posted by joestacey06 View Post
    70 1/2. Motor is not original. The motor is actually out of a truck we used to race at a local dirt track.


    We also have a '69 skylark custom deluxe in the garage for resto. It's getting a heavily built 455 and 4-speed.
    < anything with a gm 455

  7. #7
    Senior Member Z28Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,542

    Arctic White
    2000 Z28

    How long has it been in storage?

  8. #8
    Member FullBlack4thGen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Longisland
    Posts
    120

    Black
    98 Z28

    Clean that bad boy up and post more pics!

  9. #9
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    awhskeetskeetskeet

  10. #10
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    How long has it been in storage?

    Few years.

    Also, the hood is getting replaced with a stock hood eventually. This one is cracking around the scoop. Then it will get painted again. It's supposed to be factory color but the guy got the wrong shade of copper.

  11. #11
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    < anything with a gm 455
    Motor is from a 72 Buick Electra. Car sat behind our house for at least 8 years. Put a battery in it and a little gas in the carb and it fired right up. Dropped it in gear and burned the tires off.



    It's now sitting in southern PA at an engine builders waiting to hear what we what done. He also has our 406 race motor.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I've always loved those split bumper Camaros. My Aunt bought a new SS 396 4 spd with 4.10s, think it was a split bumper also. I remember my dad waxing it, and a few years later my brothers were old enough that my aunt would let them have the car for a weekend. They never wrecked it, and took my 11 year old ass for a few rides. I've always wondered whey they continued to call them 396s in the early 70s.

  13. #13
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I've always loved those split bumper Camaros. My Aunt bought a new SS 396 4 spd with 4.10s, think it was a split bumper also. I remember my dad waxing it, and a few years later my brothers were old enough that my aunt would let them have the car for a weekend. They never wrecked it, and took my 11 year old ass for a few rides. I've always wondered whey they continued to call them 396s in the early 70s.
    Not to be a dick but you do realize that this car is not a real RS (split bumber) car don't you? Wrong parking lights and lack of an Endura nose show this. This doesn't mean it isn't a real Z/28 though. That was a separate option that can be verified by the presence of "Z28" showing on the cowl tag.

    Also it's a late model 70 as shown by the tall seats and tall spoiler. Car appears to be in good shape from the pix.

    Chevy continued to call the (bored .030" over 396) 402 a 396 because they had tons of $$$ poured into the name identification (SS 396).

    Edit: Are you sure it's a 70? The grill looks like a 72 or 73?
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 10-28-2009 at 10:38 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    LOL, dick, I know more about Trans Ams then I do about Camaros. No I didn't know about the split bumber option, just always liked the SS396 cars with 4 speed trans, for reasons stated above! J/K! I just remember my Aunt's car, it was awesome back in the day!

  15. #15
    Miss October toi tyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    4,003

    www.kristilane.net
    '10 SS & '05 Ram SRT-10

    ooooh yeah that looks good, even better when its all nice and pretty

  16. #16
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Not to be a dick but you do realize that this car is not a real RS (split bumber) car don't you? Wrong parking lights and lack of an Endura nose show this. This doesn't mean it isn't a real Z/28 though. That was a separate option that can be verified by the presence of "Z28" showing on the cowl tag.

    Also it's a late model 70 as shown by the tall seats and tall spoiler. Car appears to be in good shape from the pix.


    Edit: Are you sure it's a 70? The grill looks like a 72 or 73?
    We looked at the title and the year is right. He said when he got it the front fenders weren't original. Possible that it could have been wrecked and the whole front was replaced. We're gonna do more research. If that's the case we're gonna find the right grill and parking light setup.

  17. #17
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    That'll make a nice little project.

  18. #18
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by joestacey06 View Post
    We looked at the title and the year is right. He said when he got it the front fenders weren't original. Possible that it could have been wrecked and the whole front was replaced. We're gonna do more research. If that's the case we're gonna find the right grill and parking light setup.
    Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 2 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

    At any rate nice car. They are getting to be thin on the ground these days.

  19. #19
    Member joestacey06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 2 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

    At any rate nice car. They are getting to be thin on the ground these days.
    I know the tag is there. I will look at it tomorrow night.

    I'll pass the compliments on to my cousin. He bought the car in '02 and gave it to his boy last year for x-mas. Now we're going to finish it for him.

  20. #20
    I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Barbara County,Ca.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    253

    Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Cool. Like I said it's a later 70 model as the early models (thru about April or May IIRC) had the small 1 piece rear spoiler and a low back bucket seat with a small head rest. The tall 3 piece spoiler used in the later year model is the same as was used on a Firebird. The seats in the later part of the year are actually the same as was used in the Vega (parts interchangeability). I like early 2nd gens as much as I like 1st gens. Does it say Z28 on the trim tag? That'll be rivited on top of the cowl on the right side above the brake booster. If it's a real Z28 it'll be stamped on that tag.

    At any rate nice car. They are getting to be thin on the ground these days.
    There, fixed... I kno, I'm a dick . You are definatly on the ball though '67! I'm a big fan of the early 2nd gen. RS front ends (the real ones). LOL!
    Ya, more pics when it's clean!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Got pulled over today
    By matt evans in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM
  2. Got pulled over today
    By horns011 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
  3. Got pulled over today!
    By blackSS01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
  4. Got a pulled over today
    By 01ws6er in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
  5. So i got pulled over today
    By whiteLS1TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •