black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

pros and cons: 99 Z28 vs 96 SS?

Actually I own the nbm 99 Z28, 6 speed, hardtop.
    Just seen a '96 SS in green met., auto, t-tops for sale near me. that makes me think about trading the Z for the SS.
    Both cars are in a good condition.
    Since it is a daily driver I wouldnt mind the automatic.
    What are the pros and cons about this trade?

your Z28 is a ls1 the 96 is an lt1.

your z28 is way easier to upgrade and upgrades have bigger benefits than the ss would have.

your z28 has a decent value and always will because of the engine in it. If you look online you can find 97 and under camaros for like 3000 because of the fact there isnt really pros about having it over the z28.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

opti-spark is definatley the way to go

What makes you consider the trade, the looks, t-tops, what?

+1 for the opti spark

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Well the front end is what I think is really much nicer than the LS1.
    Regarding the upgrades, we are really limited to some basics over here because we have some very restrictive, stupid laws. On the other hand the output for a daily is enough in both cars.

Is the optispark problem that bad?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

LS1>LT1, I know, I owned a '94 Z28 and there's no comparison. And, as others have said, Optispark. You lose that, get ready to spend some green. I nearly bought a '97 SS before I got my first LS1, which happened to be a '99 Z28. I'm very glad I decided against the SS.

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

The opti spark SUCKS! Ive had 2 Lt1's and both the opti's went out and they were such a pain in the ass That I sold them and got my LS1 but there both camaros/fbodys and there both nice cars but I think id go LS1...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

DAMN you opti!

Awaiting Activation

black
    2000 Z28

I've heard a lot of problems around here with the lt1s too. Stick with what you've got. You'll be happier in the long run.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Regarding the upgrades, we are really limited to some basics over here because we have some very restrictive, stupid laws. On the other hand the output for a daily is enough in both cars.

Yes its that bad and then some. Let me give you an example, when I first got my LT1 I wanted to do a complete tune up. Pressed for time I called around and the cheapest price I got to do a full tune up on an LT1 was about $825 bucks. About 70% of that was labor. There were a couple of shops that refused to work on them. You have to take damn near the whole front of the motor off. And most will tell you if your going that far you might as well replace the water pump and the distributor itself. If the water pump ever leaks, it will destroy the opti. The distributor has a rubber seal that keeps the oil out of the opti. If it ever leaks it will destroy the opti. So you end up replacing parts that have nothing to do with the tune up. You don't have to replace these parts but you would be stupid not too. Pretty expensive even if you do the work yourself. And by the way that $825 bucks I talked about earlier did not include replacing the water pump or distributor housing. Trust me stick with the LS1.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 05-19-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

keep your LS engine/6 speed
    you can get more power/more miles/and better MPG with what you have.
    you would not be happy in the the long run. I got out of an lt/auto into an LS/m6...i aint goin back.........

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

My buddy used to have a 93 Z28 LT1, he went to change the Thermostat and leaked coolant down the front of the engine.. after that the car would not start, couldn't figure out why until a Mechanic said, "You need a new Distributor." ($900) Now we both have LS1 Camaros and love them way better. I like the Front End and interior better on the LS1 as well.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I'm in California bud you have noooooo excuse laws here are already worse than what obama has been throwing out lately.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I wouldn't trade an LS1 F-body for an LT1 F-body. You're downgrading in every department. The biggest two differences are the engine and the brakes.

Just look at the LT1 engine next to the LS1. The LT1 is a disaster of hoses and wiring with absolutely no room to work on it. Everything is a bitch on the LT1. Its basically a Chevy Small block with Opti Spark and tons of emissions crap. Changing the spark plugs is difficult on an LS1 car, on an LT1 its damn near impossible thanks to almost zero clearance between the valve covers and strut towers, as well as the cast iron manifolds that block everything.

LS1 is newer, yet a much simpler and easier to work on design. Everything is better - no distributor, more clearance in the engine bay, better components and gaskets, and the air pump was relocated to the fender and out of the way.

The brakes are also much different. The LT1 cars use old style, cast iron single piston calipers up front with 10.8" rotors. The spindle is the caliper bracket as well. LS1 cars use dual piston PBR aluminum calipers with 11.8" rotors, and the caliper brackets bolts to the spindle separately. The braking capabilties are significantly better with the LS1 brakes, there is really no comparison.

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

ok ok, I'm gonna keep the LS1.
    Specially for a daily driver brakes and also gasmileage are a concern.

Thanks for the help!

Black
    98 Z28

ok ok, I'm gonna keep the LS1.
    Specially for a daily driver brakes and also gasmileage are a concern.

Thanks for the help!
    Thats better

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    Thats better
    LOL! I didn't know that when your buying an LSx car your automatically becoming a member of the LSx mafia: you only get out of the game dead...

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

The LS1 has many upgrades over the old style small block. The heads are superior in breathing capabilities. Gets rid of the center "hot spot" on the heads also. Aluminum construction saves weight and disburses heat better. The angle of the heads have also changed, adding to the flow potietial. The lower end of them (as in the block and main cap design) is pretty bullit proof, with minor mods. I build hot rod engines, and I am done with the old style. On with the LSXXX. John

SOM
    2002 SS

I just bought an 01 hardtop 6 speed. My brother bought a brand new 97 ss. There are pros and cons but way more pros for the ls1. Personally I prefer the pointy nose of the 93-97 and the looks of the 96/97 ss the best. The opti isn't as bad as everyone says. I've had my vette for 11 years now (93) and the opti died on me once. For anyone with any brains the labor to do this job is very very simple. I can swap an opti now in less than an 1/2 hour. Mind you I did this on my vette which has more room to work on. The ls has much more pros going for it. Lighter motor. More power (about 20-30 rwhp more) and a way bigger aftermarket. the ls motor itself is an incredible motor. there is nothing 'bad' about the lt1 the ls1 is just a way way better designed motor from the bottom up.

Thread Information