2002RSCAMARO

Production numbers for 2002.

I have a 2002 Camaro RS with a five speed and T-tops that has about 15300 miles and i was wondering if anyone knows the production numbers for this vehicle. I'm wondering if this is a vehicle i should store for possible collectors item years down he line.

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Here ya go...
    http://www.camarohighway.com/News/20...ionNumbers.htm

And I wouldnt worry about the whole storing your car for future collectors item. There was a total of 41,777 camaro's built in 2002. There wont be a huge collectors market for them.

I dont think yours is an RS since they didnt make any RS's in 02. Its probably a Z28 with an RS body kit like mine. If yours IS an 02 and it has RS badging on it, you got lied to when you bought it.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Here ya go...
    http://www.camarohighway.com/News/20...ionNumbers.htm

And I wouldnt worry about the whole storing your car for future collectors item. There was a total of 41,777 camaro's built in 2002. There wont be a huge collectors market for them.

I dont think yours is an RS since they didnt make any RS's in 02. Its probably a Z28 with an RS body kit like mine. If yours IS an 02 and it has RS badging on it, you got lied to when you bought it.
    if you go down the page alittle on you link is says that there were 443 RS's made. look under special packages.

Yes, they did indeed produce a Camaro RS in 2002 - only 443 of them to be exact. Only 29 of those cars were "sold orders" (customer dealer order).
    I believe that there were less than 400 made in 2001.

First off, all "true" 4th generation Camaro RS cars were V6's.
    They were originally produced in the 1996 and 1997 model years and also were included in the Camaro brochures. All those cars had the lower body extensions and spoilers. You could also order them with the "Y87" handling package (Z28 suspension bits and steering rack, I think). All body styles, but not all paint colors, were available.

1998-1999: No RS cars were manufactured. The lower body panel extensions and spoilers were included in the renamed "Sport Appearance Package" (option code "Y3F"). Everyone still refers to the body kit as the "RS package", but this is incorrect. (Heck, every V6 Camaro on EBay seems to be advertised as a "RS")

2000: Possibly 3-5 "validation" cars were produced by SLP Engineering and presented to GM. These were not sold to the general public.

2001-2002: The RS was now a "Second Sticker" SLP conversion car, in the same mode as the 1996-97 SS (Chevrolet did not include these in the Camaro brochures, nor did they advertise them). Also, these cars have "build numbers" - like the SS. You can call SLP for the build number.

These cars were rated at 205 hp. I believe most were automatics. In fact, 5-speeds were not available for sale in California and Florida due to exhaust noise levels being too high. My 5-speed RS was shipped from a dealer in Pennsylvania, and was the very last unsold new one available - based on a U.S. Chevrolet dealer search. Also on that same search, only six other automatic cars showed up. (This search was conducted in January of 2003)

The standard content of the 2001-2001 RS package (option code "Y3B") was RS badging, RS interior name plate, dual rally stripes, Z28 exhaust system (for which the passenger side outlet is pretty muck blocked off) and a "Bowtie" front grille insert. The only SLP options available were the 16 inch painted ZR1 wheels and larger front/rear sway bars. The car was available in all body types and colors.

The available 2002 stripe colors were silver or black.
    Black stripes were available on all paint colors except Onyx Black and Navy Blue Metallic.
    Silver stripes were available on all paint colors except Light Pewter, Sebring Silver and Sunset Orange Metallic.

The "Y3F" and "Y87" packages were not allowed to be ordered with the RS cars. Supposedly, one 2002 RS with option "Y3F" was mistakenly built and delivered. That one car could be the rarest Camaro ever!

So yes, true 2001-2002 RS cars are quite rare, but may never be considered as "collectible". Drive it and enjoy it!

Pictures of my RS are on page 6 of my cardomain website photo album - member name "VChula"

A side note:
    SLP also produced a "Firebird GT" in the 2001 and 2002 model years. These also were V6's and had stripes, badging and I believe lower body extensions. These are possibly even more rare than the SLP RS models.

Here ya go...
    [web link deleted]

Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Hmm, I didnt know that...

Red
    Camaro 35th Aniv SS

35th Anniversary

I own one of the 45 2001 Brickyard Camaro convertibles. None of the Anniversary Camaros appear to be on the list. The Brickyard cars listed are most likely for the 2002 Race.

Does anyone have further info on the 2001 Brickyard models?

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I cant find any info on the 01 Brickyard models. They made 57 in 02.

LE2301
    I cant find any info on the 01 Brickyard models. They made 57 in 02.
    Check out www.35thle.com.
    There are a couple of guys over there that own them too. They`ll know...

Just found this. I knew it was there. Hard to read tho...
    http://www.35thle.com/le3.htm
    Last edited by LE2301; 09-25-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Red
    Camaro 35th Aniv SS

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

Red
    2000 SLP Camaro SS

Just wonddering seeing we are on the topic of 6 cylinders.......I read in a magazine that there were some SLP RS Camaros made in 2000......I'm kinda puzzled cuz I never heard of such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SSzoe
    Just wonddering seeing we are on the topic of 6 cylinders.......I read in a magazine that there were some SLP RS Camaros made in 2000......I'm kinda puzzled cuz I never heard of such a thing?
    Those were 2000 model year cars that SLP presented to GM management for acceptance only. As I stated in my post above, there were somewhere around 3-5 cars made. My sources on this subject were Scott Settlemire (FBodfather, former assistant Camaro brand manager) and Jeff Yachnin (formerly of SLP Engineering).

I can't say for sure whether those few 2000 model year cars were actually sold to the public.

Technically, prduction of the 2001 RS cars started in calendar year 2000.

Red
    2000 SLP Camaro SS

Yeah my fault man I didnt read your post until after I posted mine......It seems like there were more than just 3-4 made though the way this article puts it......oh well I don't really care I was just interested in why SLP would mess around with a 6 cylinder camaro and only give it a couple more horses........probaly why they never actualy produced them for the public

Onyx Black
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

So my 35th 2002 Onyx Black Z28 with all options is rare right ;-) I probably have one of the least rare Camaro's its cool I still love it!

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

The 2002 Camaro SS Limited Editions (LEs), Performance Editions (PEs), and Brickyards definitely fall onto the collector's list...already. The cars with 30,000 or so miles, or less, are currently fetching around $30,000. Sticker price was between $28,000 and high $30's.

white
    2002 z28

seen all the buld #;s and stuff but it says camaros as 1, is there a way to break down the search to options added, color, and like z28

Thread Information