navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Problem with Auto Trix relay!! Help please!

Ok so the car has had the Auto Trix kit installed and never had any problems with it before until NOW.

I have gone through two of the relays that are tucked in behind the passenger door speaker because they keep blowing. And these are just the passenger window relays, the driver's side relay does not blow or anything. The driver's side window goes up and down without any problems, it's the passenger side that stops working. And I know it's the relays because I switch them out and window starts working once again.

These relays aren't cheap like fuses and I have gone through 2 new ones in the past 3 days. And with winter and rain coming, I don't want to get stuck with the effin' window down again in the middle of a thunderstorm like I did yesterday. =(

Can anyone help on this situation? My guess is that it's putting more current thru there that the relays can hold before finally overloading (overheating and causing failure), but where would I begin to look for this or has anyone else had this problem before?

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

NEVER MIND PEOPLE!!! I figured out the damn problem, I have some faulty weather stripping on my passenger side window that lets water in like nothing and is conveniently located so that the water trickles down directly onto the relay switches and therefore fries them. =(

So now I have to figure out how to weather-proof it until I get some new weather stripping.

Disregard this post.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Never mind again!! A problem has come up again! The relays aren't being blown but now I'm having a problem of them "timing out." that is, I'm rolling the window up or down and it stops functioning. I hear the relays clicking but nothing until I physically wiggle them and then the window starts working again.

So I thought, must be a loose or faulty connection or corroded ends even. So I cleaned them thoroughly by scrubbing any residue off with a toothbrush and some baking soda/water mix. (battery disconnected of course) Then used some electronic sensor cleaner to get rid off any leftover water, allowed to dry for over an hour and added a healthy amount of dielectric grease once I plugged relays back in.

Problem persists. Anyone think they can help or have any input?

Added note: window motors are new and when I cleaned the female ends of where the relays go, there were no signs of broken pieces or corrosion. They look brand new after the cleaning
    Last edited by SajoR; 10-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Anybody? any clue?......

so I zip-tied them closer to the door, and when they time out, I have my passenger (or myself if I'm alone) bang on the door a couple times with their hand and they start working again.....

I'd like to fix this problem completely though instead of the "hitting the door method"

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Imho sounds like a problem @ the actual regulator level.. If the motor's "worm" drive is'nt messing properly, or excessive(sp) armature play the motor will hang, over heat the bi-metal relay which will cut power to protect itself (never does tho). Relays in my experiance start to fail shortly after just one over heating tho..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Imho sounds like a problem @ the actual regulator level.. If the motor's "worm" drive is'nt messing properly, or excessive(sp) armature play the motor will hang, over heat the bi-metal relay which will cut power to protect itself (never does tho). Relays in my experiance start to fail shortly after just one over heating tho..
    Some makes and models used to have a thrust screw @ the end of the armature worm shaft. You could adjust the screw to take up lash and then tighten a collar nut to keep it in place.. Now you get "maintainance free" throw-away schtuff with no adjustments..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-28-2010 at 04:02 AM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

hmmm....i'll check out the motor's "worm" to make sure it is nice and snug in there. thanks for the input

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Some water will always seep through the window weatherstrip (window fuzzies, window weatherstrips, or horizontal w/s) as there commonly refered to. You need to shield these components or place them away from the water that will seep through the w/s.
    2004 SILVER CTS-V sittin on H&R Springs / KOOKS 1-7/8 LTH's/Corsa Cat-Back/COMP CUSTOM GRIND CAM(.613/.620)/TRICK FLOW HEADS

TUNED BY RACE PROVEN MOTORSPORTS

R.I.P. 505 RWHP PROCHARGED 98 SS

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

^^ yup I knew some water always got in, but this was an actual good trickle, not just some seepage. Plus, the relays just happened to be positioned in the worst place, at the bottom of the "waterfall" so to speak, so every time it rained, it would practically be raining on top of my relays too.

But no worries, I have now re-located them and applied new weather stripping either way. Still haven't the same problem though

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Have you sent Auto Trix a PM?

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Sorry I missed this. I've been real busy and not had time for the boards.

OP did send me a PM.

It seems from the comments above the relays are inside the door.

The Relay should be in the arm rest below the switches. Putting them in the door exposes them to the elements constantly and they are not designed to handle that.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yes, they are inside the door and have been relocated to a more secure location.

However, this auto trix was installed already when I purchased the car, therefore I was not able to do the proper install and place them where they should be. (Apparently, below the switches in the arm rest.)

Because of the way it was installed by the previous owner, the wiring does not allow full extension to below the switches in the arm rest. I was only able to pull it far enough to be out of the way of the water leakage issue and this no longer is the problem. It is hidden well from elemental exposure, but not where it should be, behind the switches.

Perhaps because of previous exposure the wiring has become detrimental and now this is the reason why it "times out" occasionally.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

It is VERY possible. I would recommend re-doing your connections and soldiering them if you can.

PM me your address and I'll send you some dongles to replace the ones you have.

Not something we do all the time but I think you deserve it

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Sweet! Thank you so much! I've always heard you guys have some GREAT customer service! This just goes to prove it =)

PM sent

Thread Information