Private or Dealer?

This is a discussion on Private or Dealer? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey guys, I have been browsing the forums for a while now, lots of info here, and I finally decided ...

Private or Dealer?

Hey guys, I have been browsing the forums for a while now, lots of info here, and I finally decided to make my first post. I am planning on getting a camaro before the summer starts, and been looking around the internet and dealerships for ls1 camaros. I was curious how most people purchased their camaros: through a private seller or dealership? I know I can find it cheaper from a private seller, but the dealership is much safer. Just seeing everyone's opinion.

Thanks

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I bought the 02 at a dealership but I traded in a 96 Z28 vert too.

I bought the 98 through a private party. Either way can work if you know what to look for in a car.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol dealers are not always safer. Half of the crap they say they do, they real don't. They do an oil change, pull the tires and check for wear, inspect brake pads for wear, and make sure the fluids all look good. If the tires or pads are worn more than 50 or 60% they change them. You can do all of that if you find a car you like in a private sellers drive way. If you find one at a dealer the rule was that a dealer would always add about 6k on top of what they gave someone for it or what they got it at auction for. Might be a little less now days but not by much. A friend of mine just bought a 2004 mustang Mach1 from a local Ford dealer and the damn thing has a knock in it now that keeps getting louder and the car has no emissions equipment on it so it was illegal for them to sell in the first place since they never told him and there is no paper work on it. If you buy through a dealer and there are things that the dealer says they are going to do or need to fix, before you take delivery you need to have it in writing, In fact before you sign anything. They will tell you a million lies just to get the paper signed. Personally I would take a private party car and a dealer car to an independent shop and have them do an inspection and PAY FOR IT!!! No one likes doing things for free and the old saying you get what you pay for never lies.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 03-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Looked at three privates but founfd the best car at a dealership!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

black
    2000 camaro ss

imo dealerships will bend more on there price then private sellers. warranty work may apply as well and we all know how costly it can be.

Red
    2000 Camaro Conv.

Don't rush into buying the first camaro you find. There are many deals out there. Figure out which car your looking for; 6sp, auto, SS, Z then find the best low mileage car. I looked for 6 months and finally found a SS conv in Fl. from a individual.

1968 Cutlass 350 auto red
    2000 z-28 6 spd. White

Yeah like everyone said, don't rush. Take your time and find a good deal. I would go with a private seller because dealers usually fix things and touch up paint and stuff and don't even tell you. A private seller probably won't do this and you will get a better deal from a private guy. Look on craigslist or craigshelper. Check everything especially oil for water and coolant for oil. Look for body being straight, check clutch if manual, paint for discoloring/yellowing (signs of a wreck), seats, brakes, tires, radio, a/c and everything else. Good luck!

Thanks for the replys! I will continue looking around and checking things out before I make a decision

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Private; look in the ls1tech classifieds, probably the best collection of really nice ls1's.

I bought mine from a dealer, but I think either can be risky. Especially since even a 2002 F-body is 7 years old now, most dealerships aren't going to offer much of a warranty, if any.

Red
    1980 Z28

Private as dealerships just charge more for them and are great at hiding all the defects. In Georgia, you don't pay sales tax on vehicles purchased from a private individual. That is a 7% savings off the price right there.

Thread Information