Med. Dark Purple Metallic

Prices and Longevity...

This is kind of a general question about all F-bodies, but also a bit about LS-1s versus LT-1s for durability and my infatuation with a factory-purple Formula convertible I have found.

I have been looking at a LOT of used F-bodies --- almost exclusively LT-1s because I want a convertible and my budget is limited --- and I have actually been kind of shocked at the way prices have dropped on LT-1s (for example -- '97 LT-1s seem to be only HALF the prices of typical '99 LS-1s...), AND shocked by the number of problems people seem to be having with their LT-1s (oil leaks, distributor and water pump probs, etc. etc.). Seriously, the prices on LT-1s are dropping like bricks here in SoCal, while LS-1s seem to be holding....

Anyway, I've been looking at this original-owner rare-factory-color '95 LT-1 Formula convertible with 90,000 miles right now for $6,800 (actually a bit higher in price than almost all LT-1s I've seen advertised, but I have sort of already agreed to pay it if i buy it --- I was over-excited about the condition of the paint and body...), and it's in perfect shape inside and out, but a little creaky and leaky mechanically (and I seem to sense a bit of a driveline whine, like maybe the rear dif....), and I don't want to end up with something I have to pump another $3,000 grand in in order to get it able to make it up the coast on a 300-600 mile drive. (it will also require some maintenance soon as well ---the front brakes and tires probably both only have about 1-2,000 miles left on them).

Should I make this leap and cross my fingers, or would it be better to keep driving my Toyota for another 2 years and save for a '99 -2000 Z/28 convertible... maybe not as rare but also maybe better-built...? Any ideas or comments...?
    Last edited by F-body fan; 09-21-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

wait! trust me wait!

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Agreed wait it you can afford a LS1-2
    2001 SOM SS Vert 1 of 37 verts with a 6 speed. Kook LT's with cats, fast 90mm ported intake, Nick Williams 90mm TB, AFR 205's and so on. Tuning/installs done by Williams Performance.

I aggree with the two who have commented, wait till you have enough to buy an ls1 or better yet, in 09 you can get a brand new 5th gen Camaro with an LS2. Either way just hold off a bit, no need to rush.

Now I'd have to be an idiot to expect all of you "LS-1" guys to tell me to buy an old used LT-1, so I'll qualify it by adding that I KNOW some of you have previously owned LT-1 F-bodies, so based on that I'll again ask for HONEST answers... !

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I've had both, and I have to say that the LS1 is a far superior engine, both in design and performance. My current LS1 is my DD and has a little over 101k miles on it (I bought it brand new with 7 miles on it). The only problem I've had is I had to replace the driver side power window motor and the door speaker. That's it.

It has been maintained very well, which helps tremendously. And since I'm the only owner, I know everything that's been done to it because I'm the one who has done it. The only reason I'd be skeptical about buying a used one is not knowing what has been done to it. Mods are easy to spot, but you never know how that baby was treated.

So, if I were you, I'd wait for a new one. Or, buy a used one with the intention of putting a new engine in it built the way you want it. Either way, it will not be cheap...but nothing worthwhile is.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

lol looks like the verdict is in lol....but just imagine...when your behind the wheel of your NEW car with that new smell and feel! your going to say! DAMN im glad i listened to those guys~! i mean you should be the one putting in those 50k-60k-90k- miles on your baby! not some one else! cuz like they said b4 who knoes how they treated her!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

if you keep looking, you can probably find an ls1 for around that same price. is a conv a requirement? cause i'm sure you can find a t top for lower than that lt1. i picked mine up from Rancho cucumongo for 5k. you may have to drive, but it'll be worth it.

I guess the verdict really is in! I have to admit, Sergeant, that I have considered hardtops/t-tops because there are so many more out there even though I sort of had my heart set on a nice convert, but boy, yours was an especially great deal. I'm using Craig's List almost exclusively (besides here and Z/28.com, of course), and I have seen some nice deals inbetween the many over-priced or obviously-shady deals. I guess I'll wait but keep my eye open on the ads just in case.

Thank you all for the good advice...!

Thread Information