1980 Camaro Berlinetta

Possible new Camaro owner

Hi, first of all i am a new member and actually do not own this car yet. I am looking for some feedback with some of the parts i am considering on this street/strip project.

The car i would be building is an untouched 1980 Berlinetta Camaro with a 3spd auto and stock 350ci with less than 100k. Here is a pic of a similar car, except mine would be much nicer white ext.

My gameplan is to throw in a 1997-1999 LS1 from JEGS and a 4L80ESS tranny.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint+Engi...3463C/10002/-1

Heres a summary of the tranny because its kinda far down the page

#PT4L80ESS
    Our street/strip version of the mighty 4L80E made stronger with high energy clutches and bands, improved electronics, modified high output pump and valve body, 34 element intermediate sprag and a host of others. Converter stall speeds up to 2800 rpm available and are included in this package. This unit is good to 750 horsepower and is the perfect choice for “big power” crate engines and supercharged applications.
    Trans and converter with Compushift controller: $4713.28
    Trans and converter alone: $3593.67

FULL MANUAL OPTION: For those not wishing to run a computer on this transmission and who want to shift manually we offer all models of our 4L80E with a full manual valve body. This option will also eliminate the torque converter clutch. This option can be added to the price of any of the above transmissions for $497.63

I really want to have the 5 speed option is there anywhere i could find just the tranny/shifter/clutch assembly for a better deal? Im having a hard time finding information on LS1 retrofits on 2nd gen camaros.

I want to set this car up for big hp, as i want to leave room for boost later on in it's life, most likely procharge. But i am unsure how much this is actually going to cost me and i don't want to be ripping out or re selling aftermarket parts. So for now i am looking for a real nice retrofit that runs as good as it looks.

I'm not looking into intake/exhaust/cams or anything of that sort at this stage in the game, any advice on the tranny and motor combination would be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks all,
    leverfever
    Last edited by leverfever; 06-24-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: non sponsor links

Thread Information