Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pony Car Drag Race - V8 and V6

This is a discussion on Pony Car Drag Race - V8 and V6 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Transamws6 What? I simply said the Mustang GT was on All-season tires while the Camaro was on ...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    What?

I simply said the Mustang GT was on All-season tires while the Camaro was on Summer Performance tires, that test wasn't all that fair IMO. Mustang could have done a bit better if it was on the Summer Performance tires and was equipped with the Brembo brake package.
    Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph

That's a razor-thin advantage for the Camaro and, just to throw in some additional ambiguity, we also tested another Mustang GT (this one in blue and wearing summer tires), which ripped to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and blitzed the 1,320 feet in 13 seconds at 110.6 mph. That's the kind of razor's edge that can be measured in microns.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph

That's a razor-thin advantage for the Camaro and, just to throw in some additional ambiguity, we also tested another Mustang GT (this one in blue and wearing summer tires), which ripped to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and blitzed the 1,320 feet in 13 seconds at 110.6 mph. That's the kind of razor's edge that can be measured in microns.
    thats all Im saying and thats all I wanted ...

A GT and a SS run run 3 time .. SS win 2 Gt win 1 or other way around .. that is all you can ask for ....

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Ya know, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say the 5th gen and 11' GT are just a drivers race, in a straight line, I mean the cars are really evenly matched for the most part. The GT when driven properly and equipped with the performance summer tires and brembo brake package is the better handling car i'm pretty sure, but in a straight line it's pretty much a toss up, just how I see it, these magazine tests are back and forth, back and forth, I'll just call it a draw.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Ya know, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say the 5th gen and 11' GT are just a drivers race, in a straight line, I mean the cars are really evenly matched for the most part. The GT when driven properly and equipped with the performance summer tires and brembo brake package is the better handling car i'm pretty sure, but in a straight line it's pretty much a toss up, just how I see it, these magazine tests are back and forth, back and forth, I'll just call it a draw.
    Is the 2011 GT a solid rear or IRS?

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Is the 2011 GT a solid rear or IRS?
    It's a solid axle.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

It's a solid axle.
    That should give the Camaro a little advantage in the twistys you would think...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

That should give the Camaro a little advantage in the twistys you would think...
    its supposed to be a live axle lol (idk what that does tho)

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Camaro weighs more so, i think theres a balence there.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I'm just going to ... say the 5th gen and 11' GT are just a drivers race .. I mean the cars are really evenly matched for the most part ... I'll just call it a draw.
    hold on i'm just going to pick my jaw up off of the floor..

okay cue the end of the world and the flying pigs transamws6 has called the 2 top ponies an even match.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Car&Driver just had their runs, 13.2 1/4 for the 5.0 stang and 13 flat for the SS (both 6-speed manuals). They blamed the smaller tires and extra shift on the new stang with 3.73's for why it did not spank the Camaro.
    it looks like there will be no spanking of the camaro by the 5.0. just a very good race.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    its supposed to be a live axle lol (idk what that does tho)
    It's a solid axle. I've read it numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    hold on i'm just going to pick my jaw up off of the floor..

okay cue the end of the world and the flying pigs transamws6 has called the 2 top ponies an even match.
    Well man, you know, you have to look at the big picture when it comes to this. As I said before, the cars seem to be really evenly matched. It's a drivers race and a styling preference in my eyes. It really boils down to just personal preference between these cars IMO, you can't really go wrong with either one. Even though I still believe the Stang handles a bit better than the Camaro, I mean, I don't think you are really all that far off in the Camaro where it's just a complete deal breaker. So, you know, just how I see this situation at the moment.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

the writer was a hell of a lot more impartial than all us assholes, for sure.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think ifn I was buying one for a weekend toy racer I would have to take the Mustang GT. It had tires that were way too skinny. The mustand is lighter and I have nrver neen been a fan of IRS on a car I wanna drag race I prefer the old school axle. I have to wonder about their test. Tires weren't really on par and a mustang that revs that high with 3.73's and a great 6 spd and all that hp misnus about 250lbs compared to the camaro and it isn't in the 12's I think they need a retest. Really see how fast they are when enough hit the streets where you see them at the track on the weekends. Since almost all mags are biased and paid off by on company or another you never know the real truth till ya hit a lot and test drive the car. I though the new 2010 SS was going to be great with the 6.2 and all that HP until a friend got one and I raced him. All I could think was why not get a mint condition used vette for what his loaded SS cost. Wasn't as impressive as I though glad I saved the money. Though I have to say they are comfortable. Remind me more of riding in a GTO that a 4th gen fbody.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    2002 ws6

It's a solid axle. I've read it numerous times.

Well man, you know, you have to look at the big picture when it comes to this. As I said before, the cars seem to be really evenly matched. It's a drivers race and a styling preference in my eyes. It really boils down to just personal preference between these cars IMO, you can't really go wrong with either one. Even though I still believe the Stang handles a bit better than the Camaro, I mean, I don't think you are really all that far off in the Camaro where it's just a complete deal breaker. So, you know, just how I see this situation at the moment.
    it actually almost comes down to brand prefference. which is pretty cool that ford stepped it up and produced a gt that will run 12's.

do you think this will prompt gm to boost the hp on a camaro ss? time will tell. i hope so.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    it actually almost comes down to brand prefference. which is pretty cool that ford stepped it up and produced a gt that will run 12's.

do you think this will prompt gm to boost the hp on a camaro ss? time will tell. i hope so.
    Either that or shave off some weight, either one should put it in 12's.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    Either that or shave off some weight, either one should put it in 12's.
    dont be so sure , just because you shave some weight dont mean it will go THAT much faster .. front end looks like a brick wall ...

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post

Yea, ok I can go with that, brand preference, styling preference, it's all pretty much the same.

But anyways, I'm a big fan of the GT's, i've always secretly had a thing for those cars as a kid, (will be turning 17 soon, had liked them since i was maybe 11-12) and that is when they were not the quickest cars out there, I still always thought they were really, really sweet cars, and just like you said, now that Ford has stepped it up a notch and actually put some power into them, they are even cooler than before.

But I do think GM will keep working with the Camaro, tweaking the suspension, shaving weight etc., will probably take some time for them to get it together, but in the end it will probably come out as a pretty well balanced car

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Let us all not forget this is just a stock vs. stock race. Look at the aftermarket for both cars. The 5.0 is still a OHC engine, and the LS3/L99 is a pushrod motor. Which one do you think will take to bolt ons more than the other. Same story as years prior me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Camaro weighs more so, i think theres a balence there.
    Very true. I guess the 5th gen owners will have to squat their cars a tad to get the center of gravity lower.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

The 5.0 is still a OHC engine, and the LS3/L99 is a pushrod motor. Which one do you think will take to bolt ons more than the other. Same story as years prior me thinks..

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Let us all not forget this is just a stock vs. stock race. Look at the aftermarket for both cars. The 5.0 is still a OHC engine, and the LS3/L99 is a pushrod motor. Which one do you think will take to bolt ons more than the other. Same story as years prior me thinks.

Yea . but then will it be the MODS winning the race or the cars ???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information