Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GoldenFlame

Pontiac Ram Air VS Camero Z28

This is a discussion on Pontiac Ram Air VS Camero Z28 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hello all, finding a good T/A Ram air is becoming difficult and the prices seem to go way over blue ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    petaluma
    Posts
    28

    Pontiac Ram Air VS Camaro Z28

    Hello all, finding a good T/A Ram air is becoming difficult and the prices seem to go way over blue book value. I have owned a T/A before and I loved it but I am now thinking about a Camaro Z28. is it pretty comparible in a 6SPD? I also want T-TOPS. Do you also know if these are easier to find and as far as pricing goes, they seem to be less expensive and more negotiable. I am just worried as I am not sure if a chevy is as reliable as a Pontiac is in this type of car. I hope I have posted this in the correct area. I really want to find a good car that was adult owned with records and is in good condition.

    Thank you, Lisa
    Last edited by boxergirl; 06-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Z28's are a dime a dozen If you were looking at a WS6 you might as well look at an SS Camaro because its pretty close to a WS6. It has its own version of the ram air system and some other goodies as well.

    The camaro and the trans am are on the same chassis and share the same drive train for the most part so reliability will be pretty much the same as a pontiac. The difference will be the exterior and the interior. They will look and feel a little different but will drive very very similar.

    Camaro's are cheaper than Trans Am's as well "for the most part". I'm not sure why but people are asking an arm and leg for trans am's lately...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    petaluma
    Posts
    28
    thank you, I am so glad I found this forum as you are all helping me so much. I really want the ram air but I am also thinking that the camaro SS Z28 might be a good option for me. but I just like the look of that ram air hood so much better.
    Last edited by boxergirl; 06-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by boxergirl View Post
    thank you, I am so glad I found this forum as you are all helping me so much. I really want the ram air but I am also thinking that the camero SS Z28 might be a good option for me. but I just like the look of that ram air hood so much better.
    I've owned both...in fact, I've owned way more camaro's than Trans Am's in the past but I also love the look of the WS6 Ram Air on the Trans Am. The SS Camaro wont disappoint you tho if you go that route.

    This should give you an idea of what the SS looks like if you arent familiar with it.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    petaluma
    Posts
    28
    that's a beautiful car. I like it a lot. what would be a good year to get? I want to spend around 12k tops. do you think I can get something nice for that price in a Camaro SS?
    Last edited by boxergirl; 06-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    yea for that price range you should be able to get something pretty nice. 2002 is the most desired year because its the 35th anniversary year and he has some other goodies that people prefer...better intake is one that comes to mind.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Z28's are a dime a dozen If you were looking at a WS6 you might as well look at an SS Camaro because its pretty close to a WS6. It has its own version of the ram air system and some other goodies as well.

    The camaro and the trans am are on the same chassis and share the same drive train for the most part so reliability will be pretty much the same as a pontiac. The difference will be the exterior and the interior. They will look and feel a little different but will drive very very similar.

    Camaro's are cheaper than Trans Am's as well "for the most part". I'm not sure why but people are asking an arm and leg for trans am's lately...
    Partially becuase Firebirds/Trans Ams are extinct. One can still go to a Chevy dealer and buy a brand new Camaro. There were also less T/A / WS6 / Formulas made than Z28 / SS models. Plus T/As tended to be more generously equipped.

  8. #8
    You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    335

    2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

    There is no E in Camaro... Sorry, I had to.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    petaluma
    Posts
    28
    its always good to have a spelling Nazi in the group. I fixed all my post. thank you. spelling was never my strong point, but I have so many other good qualities.

  10. #10
    Member Badass WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    375

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    As far as reliability goes, don't be afraid of higher miles(albeit with your $12k limit you shouldn't have a problem finding a low mile F-Body), I drove a bone stock '99 Z28 for over 5 years.

    Bought it with a little over 155,xxx miles on it, and sold it with over 260,xxx miles on it. Besides a few window motors, a BCM, the only major item I had to replace was the fuel pump at around 230,xxx.

    Even with the high mileage, it still pulled strong and purred like a kitten while cruising.

    Fun cars, that's for sure.

    Good luck with whichever you decide.

  11. #11
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    The biggest difference between the WS6 and the SS that hasn't been pointed out is that the SS was an SLP deal. If it weren't for SLP GM would have never brought back the SS camaro during those years. On top of that there were specific SLP options that could be added over and beyond the standard GM equipment that you couldn't get on a WS6, which mainly consisted of cosmetics like floor mats, car covers, grills, portfolio's, wheels etc..On top of that there were a few performance items like the dual/dual cat back exhaust, of which an appearance item called "center mount exhaust" could be added to that, and other performance things like the black wing air lid, etc....When things like this were added the factory actually boosted the HP rating of the cars slightly over the manufacture ratings. These SLP options, depending on how many were ordered, added a fairly hefty price tag over the base SS models.

    The only pontiac at that time that SLP had a hand in and offered similar options was the Firehawk.

    With that said, the SS camaro and Firehawks are somewhat more of a specialty in that sense where as the WS6 was a production line piece. However prices don't seem to reflect that much.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-19-2015 at 09:37 AM.

  12. #12
    Member DarrenWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Blossburg, PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    411

    Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The biggest difference between the WS6 and the SS that hasn't been pointed out is that the SS was an SLP deal. If it weren't for SLP GM would have never brought back the SS camaro during those years. On top of that there were specific SLP options that could be added over and beyond the standard GM equipment that you couldn't get on a WS6, which mainly consisted of cosmetics like floor mats, car covers, grills, portfolio's, wheels etc..On top of that there were a few performance items like the dual/dual cat back exhaust, of which an appearance item called "center mount exhaust" could be added to that, and other performance things like the black wing air lid, etc....When things like this were added the factory actually boosted the HP rating of the cars slightly over the manufacture ratings. These SLP options, depending on how many were ordered, added a fairly hefty price tag over the base SS models.

    The only pontiac at that time that SLP had a hand in and offered similar options was the Firehawk.

    With that said, the SS camaro and Firehawks are somewhat more of a specialty in that sense where as the WS6 was a production line piece. However prices don't seem to reflect that much.
    A good read here. Good info!

    One thing I want to ask about though is wasn't it SLP that created the 1996 WS6 pkg for Pontiac Formula and Trans Am? Found a video about SLP awhile ago and it had explained this. But pretty much, they helped with the creation of the WS6 pkg for 4th gens and Pontiac had assembled it.

    Found the video, 17:00 they explain the Camaro SS, and 17:36 they explain the WS6. Good stuff! the whole video is worth a watch.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

    SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

  13. #13
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    What are your plans for the car? If you are wanting to modify it at all you might look into Z28 Camaro as well, other than the hood the only mechanical differences are things that most people upgrade anyway (sway bars, suspension, etc..) just a thought.
    '01 SS hardtop 6-speed - SLP lid and smooth bellows, Magnaflow catback, TSP LT's and ORY, Tune by Frost, Founders LCA's and RB's, UMI 2 pt SFC's, Fays2 Watts link, Strano front and rear sway bars- Strano springs and Bilsteins coming soon

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB ls1 camero or firebird
    By raw122 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
  2. Upper Dash for 99 Camero SS Help...
    By in4sit in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 06:37 PM
  3. camero on 120th
    By Scanlamp in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
  4. WTB wrecked 98-02 Camero or WS6, LS1
    By Darrell Kauffman in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
  5. WTB wrecked 98-02 Camero or WS6, LS1
    By Darrell Kauffman in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •