Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Please help me settle this argument with my dad!!!

Hey guys,

I am not normally on the camaro forums because I own a trans am right now even though we have had out share of camaros in our family. tonight I was arguing with my father and I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

When i was 14 we bought a 94 rs camaro with an lt1 fully built engine. This car was wicked fast and all of this time I thought it was a z28.. Now my dad is telling my that it was in fact an rs and but the lt1 was put in the car when produced.. I know that people put v8s in rs camaros for insurance purposes but I was hoping that you guys could settle this debate. I swear that I have never heard of an rs with an lt1 option when the car was being produced but he swears that the car had a number in the vin that means it was an lt1!

I want to choke him because I swear it would be pointless to have an rs camaro and a z28 if the only difference was the roof that is black on z28s.. please let me know so i can set my old man straight! lol

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    Hey guys,

I am not normally on the camaro forums because I own a trans am right now even though we have had out share of camaros in our family. tonight I was arguing with my father and I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

When i was 14 we bought a 94 rs camaro with an lt1 fully built engine. This car was wicked fast and all of this time I thought it was a z28.. Now my dad is telling my that it was in fact an rs and but the lt1 was put in the car when produced.. I know that people put v8s in rs camaros for insurance purposes but I was hoping that you guys could settle this debate. I swear that I have never heard of an rs with an lt1 option when the car was being produced but he swears that the car had a number in the vin that means it was an lt1!

I want to choke him because I swear it would be pointless to have an rs camaro and a z28 if the only difference was the roof that is black on z28s.. please let me know so i can set my old man straight! lol

I know a 3rd gen RS could be a v8 or a v6.. I believe the same is true for the '94 4th gen...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

see it just doesnt make sense to me because the only difference would be the suspension wheels and maybe roof.. that would be the z28 package. would seem pointless to me lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The RS package is an appearance package. Some years it was available on both V6 and V8s. I've seen a couple RS/SS's. Not sure about 94 though

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    see it just doesnt make sense to me because the only difference would be the suspension wheels and maybe roof.. that would be the z28 package. would seem pointless to me lol
    I dunno.. I have a loaded '01 y87 and the "appearance" package too.. However I'm a 3800-II.. To add a fully loaded y87 carries more resale value than a base optioned z28..

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I am 99.99999999% sure that the RS was the "sports appearance package" for the 3.4/3.8L 6 cylinder 4th gen camaros. I've seen 94s, 95s, and 96s, yet I can't recall seeing any 93s or 97s but I am positive that they still produced them in.

I can't write it in stone that they didn't produce any LT1 RS camaros, but it would be absolutely retarded for GM to do so, and I have yet to even hear of one, factory or aftermarket built.

The only thing that I would question would be that this "RS" package includes ground effects, dual exhaust, and better gears, does it not? The Y87 package on later model camaros and firebirds (98-02) give it better gears and dual exhaust outlets (maybe even a few other things, not sure?). The Y3F "Sports Appearance Package" was also available on the 98-02 Z28s, as they came with the chin spoiler, rear valance, sideskirts, and lip spoiler on the hatch.

This question may be best regarded the CZ28.COM as they're more 93-97 based

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I am 99.99999999% sure that the RS was the "sports appearance package" for the 3.4/3.8L 6 cylinder 4th gen camaros. I've seen 94s, 95s, and 96s, yet I can't recall seeing any 93s or 97s but I am positive that they still produced them in.

I can't write it in stone that they didn't produce any LT1 RS camaros, but it would be absolutely retarded for GM to do so, and I have yet to even hear of one, factory or aftermarket built.

The only thing that I would question would be that this "RS" package includes ground effects, dual exhaust, and better gears, does it not? The Y87 package on later model camaros and firebirds (98-02) give it better gears and dual exhaust outlets (maybe even a few other things, not sure?). The Y3F "Sports Appearance Package" was also available on the 98-02 Z28s, as they came with the chin spoiler, rear valance, sideskirts, and lip spoiler on the hatch.

This question may be best regarded the CZ28.COM as they're more 93-97 based
    Correct! But the appearance package on my 01 3800-II ment it looks like a z28 but no ground effects.. I also had a 95 v6 3.4l but was not optioned with much of anything..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 08:38 AM.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Correct! But the appearance package on my 01 3800-II ment it looks like a z28 but no ground effects.. I also had a 95 v6 3.4l but was not optioned with much of anything..
    I'm lost

V6 and V8 camaros all look the same without ground effects with the exception of badges and dual outlet exhaust (and more narrow tires but that's hard to tell).

But what you're saying is that the appearance package on your Z meant it looks like a Z but with no ground effects? Then it would not have the "appearance package" I wouldn't think, as I would think that would be half of it, no?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm lost

V6 and V8 camaros all look the same without ground effects with the exception of badges and dual outlet exhaust (and more narrow tires but that's hard to tell).

But what you're saying is that the appearance package on your Z meant it looks like a Z but with no ground effects? Then it would not have the "appearance package" I wouldn't think, as I would think that would be half of it, no?
    Umm I don't have a Z.. I do have the y87 3800_II with the appearance package.. Which does'nt include any ground effects..

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I know someone w/ the rs and it's a 5spd w/ a v-6.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Umm I don't have a Z.. I do have the y87 3800_II with the appearance package.. Which does'nt include any ground effects..
    Smittro - I know you've got a V6, and that was a typo on my part. Leme break this down.......

The 96-97 Y87's came with:

4-wheel disc brakes
    dual exhaust
    3:42 rear end w/ posi.
    14:4:1 Steering ratio(same as v8 cars)

Ground effects are part of the Sports Appearance Package and are not included in the Y87 Package, even in the later years (98-02)

The Y3F package was available on both V6 and V8 models in the second iteration of the 4th generation camaros (98-02). This was considered the "sports appearance package" and nothing more, which included

2 sideskirts
    chin spoiler
    rear valance
    lip spoiler located at the back of the hatch.

--------------------------------

Broke down? The Y87 is not the "appearance" package you're referring to, as that would be the "Y3F" package

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Smittro - I know you've got a V6, and that was a typo on my part. Leme break this down.......

The 96-97 Y87's came with:

4-wheel disc brakes
    dual exhaust
    3:42 rear end w/ posi.
    14:4:1 Steering ratio(same as v8 cars)

Ground effects are part of the Sports Appearance Package and are not included in the Y87 Package, even in the later years (98-02)

The Y3F package was available on both V6 and V8 models in the second iteration of the 4th generation camaros (98-02). This was considered the "sports appearance package" and nothing more, which included

2 sideskirts
    chin spoiler
    rear valance
    lip spoiler located at the back of the hatch.

--------------------------------

Broke down? The Y87 is not the "appearance" package you're referring to, as that would be the "Y3F" package
    Yeah you maybe right.. I can't find my dam window sticker.. I could have sworn it says it has the "appearance package" but it did'nt say "sport appearance package".. So until I find the window sticker I can't argue what you have stated...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I hate V6 differentiation or however the F you spell it

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

I hate V6 differentiation or however the F you spell it

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ok, I'm putting my full vote out that the RS was never available with the LT1... I got $100 on it

Anybody else?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How about you find me a box

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Ok, I'm putting my full vote out that the RS was never available with the LT1... I got $100 on it

Anybody else?
    I'm in too.. After doing some digging I can't find and LT1 powered "rs" anywheres..

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I vote to agree that the RS was never available with the LT1. I truly believe that the last year a V8 was available for the RS was in '92. First car I ever owned.

Now I know the Y3F sports appearance package was available in the 4th gens for the Z28, but I feel as if the last true RS was in the '92 era because after that, GM downgraded the RS into the V6 packages.

My 2 cents

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    How about you find me a box
    I've got one here, that my PHB came in, I can send it to you

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    I vote to agree that the RS was never available with the LT1. I truly believe that the last year a V8 was available for the RS was in '92. First car I ever owned.

Now I know the Y3F sports appearance package was available in the 4th gens for the Z28, but I feel as if the last true RS was in the '92 era because after that, GM downgraded the RS into the V6 packages.

My 2 cents
    25th rs, '92 350 auto, was my first f-body, T's, red with black stripes.. I still miss her all these years later..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information