Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Piston Slap noise reduced greatly

Not to be a noob or anything. I recently had the P420 error showing up. The right cat was so clogged that when you were to tap it black powder would come out, for some reason my catalytic convetor turned into a gunpowder factory.

Anyways, it had gotten so bad 4 out of 8 my pistons were missing, like they wouldnt fire but thats was ludacris because all the electronical systems and fuel systems were running perfect.
    So I have just gotten my cat replaced and guess what my engine became much Quieter. I can hardly hear that Obnoxious piston slap noise.

Just an FYI sorry if it was already posted.

I have 120,000 miles on my LS1.

red
    2000 C5

20000 miles ago. I put on headers and a louder exhaust and that got rid of the piston slap noise. I havent looked back
    www.TampaTuning.Com

Meet us from 6p-10p at the Tampa HOOTERS located at 4420 W Gandy Blvd, Tampa. next date: JULY 13th

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
    20000 miles ago. I put on headers and a louder exhaust and that got rid of the piston slap noise. I havent looked back
    I would put some LT's on it but the clearence I hear is not to good at all. And this is a daily driver so winter would be something out of a comedy.
    Last edited by Hot head; 12-02-2010 at 02:13 PM.

red
    99 camaro

Clearance is fine, trust me and everyone else here with headers. I have had mine on for 50,000 or so and havent hit one thing with them.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

How many inches from the ground? Also, I would have to get a retune how much RWP would I get?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have LT headers in michigan..only place the rub are on speed bumps that the car would normaly hit on. You will see a improvement in RWHP but the sound you are going to gain is AMAZING! I would recomend LT to anyone....granted mine is a summer car but it still gets driven.....

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Yea I am on a race team (we race super late stock) They exausts sounds evil like thier is a demon in the engine. They are cammed extemely high also, (850 hp) out of a 350 block.

Headers do make a big difference in sound but in winter time and everyday use I would tend to think the headers will crack in 10 years.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Clearance is fine, trust me and everyone else here with headers. I have had mine on for 50,000 or so and havent hit one thing with them.
    You must not live in Michigans where pot holes are really bad. The road really your suspension, exaust if it is to low and your tires. Atleast we dont have any toll roads though.
    Last edited by Hot head; 12-08-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Glad to hear about you getting everything taken care of. But as far as LT's I think you can run them without anyproblems they tuck up pretty good. Here are a few pics that I have where you can see that I still have great clearence...

Hope this helps you out

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Glad to hear about you getting everything taken care of. But as far as LT's I think you can run them without anyproblems they tuck up pretty good. Here are a few pics that I have where you can see that I still have great clearence...

Hope this helps you out
    Who is the maker of your headers? Did you have to retune the engine? Are you using catalytic converters what kind? If not what did you do to by pass it?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Regardless of weather you decide to install the LTs I strongly recommend you get with Frost for a retune. $125 well spent.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    Who is the maker of your headers? Did you have to retune the engine? Are you using catalytic converters what kind? If not what did you do to by pass it?
    ebaY stainless steel headers tsp ory so no cats. Haven't had it tuned yet car should be getting the cam and stall this winter sometime so tune will come then.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    How many inches from the ground? Also, I would have to get a retune how much RWP would I get?
    My car GAINED ground clearance, I can fit a Coke can upright with 1/4" to spare, under the lowest part of the header. They ORY, I can't quite get the can under it, but I still have stock 4WD suspension. Hooker ceramic LT/3'' ORY.

A tune is recommended for any car, not just bc of headers, if you can live with the SES light on. Mail-order tune will free up another 10 or so HP, along with the 15-25 from the LT/ORY. Just stay away from SLP headers, these have very poor ground clearance.

Thread Information