SOM
    01 Camaro SS

Pics of the Super chevy show in fontana, CA

Red
    2000 SS

Sorry, I posted to the link.

Did you ask the judges where you lost points?

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

no i didnt get a chance. everything seemed to look as good as it could

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    no i didnt get a chance. everything seemed to look as good as it could
    ...and it looks GREAT !

I entered my absolutely pristine 2000 SS at the Richmond Super Chevy Show several years ago. Competition was extremely stiff, and while close to taking a trophy, I fell short.

I wasn't upset or disappointed at my performance (this was my first-ever show), but some of my competitors were beyond irate at the indignity of being told they lost. Others just sulked and quietly left the grounds.

I sought out the Camaro judge and thanked him for doing a good job (believe me, the first place car deserved it). I asked if he had a few minutes to show me where I could improve, and he obliged.

For me, it was a real eye opener. He asked if I really wanted to "compete", and I said, "Sure!"

In order to compete, you have to strive for perfection, and that costs money. Here's the rundown:

Engine compartment: He said I had the cleanest in class. He could find no dirt, no waterspots, no teeny little stones, no bugs, no faded decals, no loose wiring, no scratches, no fluid leaks/seepage of any kind etc.

The ONE thing that killed me was rusty exhaust manifolds. Everybody else had polished/coated manifolds, and that was the killer for me.

The judge said that in order to "compete", I have to fix that. Estimated cost to compete would run about $500.

Interior: The judge said the interior was absolutely perfect. I was able to get at and remove all traces of dirt from every crack/crevice, including the door hinges and the hatch hinges. The leather was flawless. The glass was clean and streak-free. Carpets and mats showed no dirt/wear.

The ONE thing that killed me was the addition of a (what I thought was cool) fender mat that said "CAMARO" on it where the trunk mat would go.

In order to "compete", the judge said all I had to do was lose the lame mat. If I had the SLP mat, there would have been no problem.

Exterior: Wheels and tires were perfect. No dirt/dust/paint chips or rim rash. The red bow ties on the center caps were perfect because I installed 3M ScotchCal custom cut in perfect circles. The judge liked that.
    The wheel-wells were spotless. The 3M-clear bra and headlight covers were nearly invisible and the judge remarked how nice they looked. The license plates were perfect as were the screws holding them on. I had no less than 50 coats of Zaino on the finish, and it was beautiful. There was no caked on material (usually found on the side marker lights). Short of trailering the car, the flawless factory paint was tough to beat.

Problems: The judge walked to a corners of the car and showed me all the waves in the doors. I knew they were there, and explained that they were the original skins, and the skins were composite, etc. He also pointed out the thin paint and pinhole bubbles on the SLP hood. Most everyone knows that (at minimum) the 2000 SS hoods were like that.

In order to "compete", I would have to have the waves in the door panels removed. That means bodywork. I would also have to have the pinholes in the hood addressed. More bodywork. Then I would have to do a full prep and paint. The judge's humble estimate was close to $5k make it all "right", but I no longer have an "original" car.

I again thanked the judge for his time and his insight. Could I win at the Super Chevy Show? Eventually. It's a matter of desire to compete, spending the money it will cost, and then (in my case) living with the decision to no longer owning a factory original car. To date, I have coated factory exhaust manifolds, and lost the cheesy trunk mat. I have not repainted the car, but those who had painted theirs were competing at a higher level than me. Good for them.

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

thanks for the great info. I try and get every detail possible.

Thread Information