Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Unhappy p1416 code and SLP MAF question?!?!

Here's the deal.

Had this 2000 Camaro SS for a couple weeks now, in pretty good shape, was running strong from what I could tell. Has LT's, GMMG catback, SLP lid, and SLP MAF sensor, 77k on the clock, A4.

As of a few days ago, the battery died. I replaced the battery so the car was relearning itself again. Car seemed to be running louder exhaust wise and a little more ''in your face." Later that night the 'check engine' light comes on. It's the p1416 code. Scan at autozone says bank II of AIR system. Car seemed to be getting rougher and dogging it a little more in high gears at low speed while accelerating. Overall idle is a little choppier too.

I also had a thought come to me. I've read all the stuff about SLP/Granatelli MAF's and it makes sense. So I thought maybe the battery dying erased the tune the computer had for the fuel tables.

I called the previous owner to see what kinda tune they did and if he had the OEM MAF sensor. He said it was 4-5 years ago, and he gave it to a friend who in turn took it somewhere to get headers put on and I'm sure some sort of tune. He wasn't much help. Plus he sold the stock MAF already. Appreciate the help if you guys could!

Here's the basic 3 questions I need answered:
    1. Is battery dying erasing the aftermarket or handheld tune possible?????

2. Also, would a p1416 code make the car run this way????

3. Should I buy a stock MAF off ebay for $79.99 anyway just in case or would I need to get the old tune wiped off in case it sill is around?????

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomHaZe View Post
    Here's the deal.

Had this 2000 Camaro SS for a couple weeks now, in pretty good shape, was running strong from what I could tell. Has LT's, GMMG catback, SLP lid, and SLP MAF sensor, 77k on the clock, A4.

As of a few days ago, the battery died. I replaced the battery so the car was relearning itself again. Car seemed to be running louder exhaust wise and a little more ''in your face." Later that night the 'check engine' light comes on. It's the p1416 code. Scan at autozone says bank II of AIR system. Car seemed to be getting rougher and dogging it a little more in high gears at low speed while accelerating. Overall idle is a little choppier too.

I also had a thought come to me. I've read all the stuff about SLP/Granatelli MAF's and it makes sense. So I thought maybe the battery dying erased the tune the computer had for the fuel tables.

I called the previous owner to see what kinda tune they did and if he had the OEM MAF sensor. He said it was 4-5 years ago, and he gave it to a friend who in turn took it somewhere to get headers put on and I'm sure some sort of tune. He wasn't much help. Plus he sold the stock MAF already. Appreciate the help if you guys could!

Here's the basic 3 questions I need answered:
    1. Is battery dying erasing the aftermarket or handheld tune possible?????

2. Also, would a p1416 code make the car run this way????

3. Should I buy a stock MAF off ebay for $79.99 anyway just in case or would I need to get the old tune wiped off in case it sill is around?????
    1. No, the battery dying will not erase any tune the ECM previously had. Mail order tuning would have a hard time staying in business if that were the case All removing the battery cable/replacing battery will do is reset your LTFT and STFT (Long Term Fuel Trim/Short term) and your Idle trims. That is all that will be re-learned after restarting the car.

2. P1416 has nothing to do with the MAF. Read these threads to get a good idea on how to solve this code. Its usually fairly simple.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=code

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=code

3. I cant stand those MAF's. They cause more problems IMO then any single bolt on modification. With no real benefit of power output to boot!

Unless the car has been tuned with that SLP MAF, the AFR is going to be off. Guaranteed. Even then, it stands a good chance of not being dialed in right from the tuner. Many do not tune them correctly.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for the info HiPo. I figured it wouldn't reset a tune to the ECM.

I also earlier took a look at the AIR system. The pump IS blowing air. Air IS blowing up until the check valve on the passenger side. No exhaust coming back out the check valve. I can't get the check valve off easily enough to actually see if it's clogged, but right now I'm assuming it is, or it's broken. Guess the battery dying somehow triggered this all to happen.

Would this code cause the car to run a little rough like it is, or do you think it's still in the relearning stages?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Little update.

I was a little pissed the car was running rough, so I sat it for two days and drove my truck. My dad might of driven it to church once or twice, that's it. But I decided to drive it last night to the bar after I washed it up a bit. Man!! It's running smooth again and all power is back. Maybe I got mad at it too early and the ECM was still relearning itself.

Code is still on, but that should be an easy fix, which I will do this weekend.

Guess I'm just still in the early worried stages for my new LS1.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomHaZe View Post
    Little update.

I was a little pissed the car was running rough, so I sat it for two days and drove my truck. My dad might of driven it to church once or twice, that's it. But I decided to drive it last night to the bar after I washed it up a bit. Man!! It's running smooth again and all power is back. Maybe I got mad at it too early and the ECM was still relearning itself.

Code is still on, but that should be an easy fix, which I will do this weekend.

Guess I'm just still in the early worried stages for my new LS1.
    Sounds good! Shouldn't take long to relearn whats needed for proper drivability.

Thread Information