owning your first z28 questions

Hi. I am ready to commit to a $10,000 investment in a 98-02 z28, must be 6spd.
    I have a few questions and comments.

what is the proper naming of these cars? x gen x body

whats the difference between a z28 and an SS?

what are the differences (factory upgrades) in power train, suspension between the years that span 98-02, if any.

what is the factory transmission and ring and pinion ratios for these cars. if im not mistaken these transmissions are double overdrive? 5th and 6th speeds are overdrives?

anything in particular, problem areas with these cars I should pay attention to when looking, test driving these cars?

IMPORTANT- ride quality! I have never driven in a z28, ever. It is important that ride quality is comfortable. If these cars are not cushy Im not interested. just want to avoid any slop. need not be that soft you thought you were driving in a caddilac or something.
    the main reason why im in the market for a this car is because I have grown tired of my two cars. I own two 1986 monte carlo ss. The chassis on a 20+ year old car that was neglected is... lame. sloppy doors, sloppy windows, lose panels, gremlins in various areas with base ball bats. It is ultimately not fun, annoying, and if on a date possibly embarrassing. Id like to join the 21st century. I actually love monte's but Im not in proper life position to frame off resto mod them. 2009 challenger has few options and 30,000 more than a used z28.

here is a link to my gbodys photo album
    http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...view=slideshow
    TIA
    -Jason

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

The name is 4th gen F-body. Actually there are 2 versions of 4th gen. 93-97 are LT1 cars. The 98-02 cars are LS1 powered. Given a choice you'll want a 2001 or 2002 as these have better intake and exhaust setups.

This should help with most of your questions:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76551

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Sorry to burst your bubble man but as far as ride quality, if you want cushy go buy a lincoln or cadilac. This is a Muscle car, You buy it for performace and handling.The Forth Gen is lightyears ahead of your monte as far as handling and if you ever wanted to change the ride type you can always upgrade to the hotchkis or SLP suspension and it will corner like an SOB. There is really no problem areas with these cars minus the usual used car inspection, IE checking for leaks and what not and making sure the tranny its tight and doesnt grind while shifting. Also make sure the rear end isnt making any funny noises.. Good luck with your searching

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I traded in a Sebring LXI for my z28. The shocks were in excellent working order with aftermarket rims and brand new tires (Goodyear Response Edge). When I hopped into the z28 I didn't notice any difference in handling except that road shake at higher speeds disappeared. So, I would say it has better ride quality than some luxury cars do (although a Sebring is on the cheap side). However, it does fall short in one category. I would not recommend high speed lane changes or going too fast into corners. It tends to rock like a boat (hoping to reduce that with a shock tower brace for $100 bucks). Also, the Sebring had low profiles and the z28 does not. I'll upgrade that shortly, but if you want a smooth ride do not follow that path. I've experimented on several vehicles and low profiles make a big difference in regards to feeling the road.
    Last edited by ezwip; 07-11-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

if you want comfort buy a GTO

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I am not sure the f-body is gonna be your car then. I could give a crap less about comfort. Maybe that's why I still love my car. The seats aren't that great and I'm not complaining cuz I am happy with them. I am sure there are more comfortable cars out there.

Most of them came with a gear ratio of 3.23, but some are 2.73 and you can check what the car has by reading the sticker on the door if it has one.

I am pretty sure every SS had 3.23s and sometimes 3.42s. Just check the door.

You can easily upgrade the suspension...shocks / springs. You could have a great riding ride.

Some f-bodys are noisy too. Squeaks and such. Someone told me this. I have only ridden in mine and it never makes a noise and someone told me I was full of BS but i guess not all of them are squeaky and annoying.

is there a NY f-body crew that I could get in touch with to get some exposure to these cars?
    is there anyone feeling patriotic and wants to help out a service member and take me for a ride? id be great full. 2005 Iraq combat infantrymen with a department of veterans affairs disability award of 100%
    I think the best thing for everyone is if I could actually sit in one of these cars and see if I want to commit 10K or not. big step.
    our definitions of comfy and cushy are getting confused, possibly. I just dont want the car to feel like its coming apart when driving over less than perfect road surface. hard to convey the existing situation through a computer screen.

Thanks so much for the replies :thumbs:

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunnerss View Post
    is there a NY f-body crew that I could get in touch with to get some exposure to these cars?
    is there anyone feeling patriotic and wants to help out a service member and take me for a ride? id be great full. 2005 Iraq combat infantrymen with a department of veterans affairs disability award of 100%
    I think the best thing for everyone is if I could actually sit in one of these cars and see if I want to commit 10K or not. big step.
    our definitions of comfy and cushy are getting confused, possibly. I just dont want the car to feel like its coming apart when driving over less than perfect road surface. hard to convey the existing situation through a computer screen.

Thanks so much for the replies :thumbs:
    well i think nebraska has the worst roads in the country...no lie i'm pretty sure there is an award for that. So i might be a little biased. If I get it on the interstate or concrete road surfaces. I think it feels amazing. Asphalt with sink holes and such??...well the car is all over the road. I'm sure there are lots of guys from NY on here or ls1tech.com

Thread Information