Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Over 50,000 miles? Change that fuel filter!

This is a discussion on Over 50,000 miles? Change that fuel filter! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Maybe 50 hp is a bit exagerrated, but I definately felt an improvement in the low end power (an area ...

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Maybe 50 hp is a bit exagerrated, but I definately felt an improvement in the low end power (an area I was always disappointed in in the past on my car. I always thought LS1's were just like that since I heard they lacked the low end grunt the old LT1's had, but made it up in the higher RPM's). Keep in my mind, my car has close to 70k miles, and it looked like the previous owner failed to replace the filter even once, so I may have noticed a bigger hp gain than someone who keeps up on the maintenance better and changes it every 30-40k miles as most people recommend. Place I went to (Northwest tires) changed it for me for about $60, probably worth the money for those who are'nt mechanicaly inclined (like me!). Just be careful of these chains, after changing the filter the sales guy (and his boss) both tried pushing their $100 b.s. fuel system cleaner package on me after the filter was changed! Ugggh, always with the add-ons!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    Maybe 50 hp is a bit exagerrated, but I definately felt an improvement in the low end power (an area I was always disappointed in in the past on my car. I always thought LS1's were just like that since I heard they lacked the low end grunt the old LT1's had, but made it up in the higher RPM's). Keep in my mind, my car has close to 70k miles, and it looked like the previous owner failed to replace the filter even once, so I may have noticed a bigger hp gain than someone who keeps up on the maintenance better and changes it every 30-40k miles as most people recommend. Place I went to (Northwest tires) changed it for me for about $60, probably worth the money for those who are'nt mechanicaly inclined (like me!). Just be careful of these chains, after changing the filter the sales guy (and his boss) both tried pushing their $100 b.s. fuel system cleaner package on me after the filter was changed! Ugggh, always with the add-ons!

Fuel induction flush... always a good idea. Those gas tank adders aren't worth the damn bottle they are put in. The induction service not only will clean your throttle body and fuel injectors, but also through your fuel rail. Years of vehicle use builds up carbon and varnish, so it's always good to clean that crap out of there. A good shop will use a system or machine that pressure cleans the injectors and fuel rails. You will notice a bigger difference after doing that than a fuel filter.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

looked at mine today. Def. original. my car has 58,000+ miles on it. holy shit.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I just hit 50K on my SS. Going to get the filter this week.

Pewter
    02 Z28

I did mine a few weeks ago with about 80k on the odo I didnt feel any difference, but I know it helps the fuel pump live longer
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

i just hit 100,000 two days ago. will do fuel filter this week. honestly, im worried its original. ive had my car for 1 year, bought it at 89k miles.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

damn i bought mine with 46k and i have 67k on it and i've never done it... argh...

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i change my fuel filter once a year, i mean, for under $10 its a real good investment.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    i change my fuel filter once a year, i mean, for under $10 its a real good investment.
    I change mine every 3 oil changes, which probably amounts to about the same amount of miles as your once a year Since I drive 100+ miles a day....

black
    2001 Camaro SS

can it damage your car if you don't replace it, i know mine's due for sure but it'll be a couple weeks before i can do it and i got a road trip (few hours there and a few back)

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    can it damage your car if you don't replace it, i know mine's due for sure but it'll be a couple weeks before i can do it and i got a road trip (few hours there and a few back)
    It puts wear on the pump, can make it go out before it's time. Also kills gas mileage.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

mopar guy I work with claims that chrysler does not even recommend replacing the filter and newer vehicles are being designed without them?

black
    02 z28 camaro

i changed my fuel filter about a month ago. went to walmart and bought it for $12-$15 and did myself. its not that hard at all to do but i did rear my car onto some ramps and had no trouble. and yes, UNSCREW THE GAS CAP, or youll get gas squirted all over your face.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    mopar guy I work with claims that chrysler does not even recommend replacing the filter and newer vehicles are being designed without them?
    From what I've seen, Mopars have the filters in the fuel tank, and aren't serviceable. The newer cars are coming that way. My 2005 GMC Sierra's filter is in the tank, and isn't serviceable.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    From what I've seen, Mopars have the filters in the fuel tank, and aren't serviceable. The newer cars are coming that way. My 2005 GMC Sierra's filter is in the tank, and isn't serviceable.
    why the hell would they do that?

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    why the hell would they do that?
    I don't know.
    I checked GM Service Information to see what it says, and this is all I could find....

Fuel Filter
    The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. the paper filter element of the fuel filter traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The fuel filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ill add my horror story

Original Fuel filter at 139k..

Uncleaned MAF

Original number 8 plug

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Ill add my horror story

Original Fuel filter at 139k..

Uncleaned MAF

Original number 8 plug

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Short story. I didnt crawl under the car before I bought it, it was shiney, clean and everything worked. A quick tuneup yielded at least 25hp. Not to mention original pcv valve and other random crap.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    how much is a fuel filter? ''me retarted''
    fuel filter costs less than $8.00...lists for about $7.10 at autozone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information