Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89

Opinions about SLP

This is a discussion on Opinions about SLP within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; For deals...check out our sponsors. Clearance issues?? No way. They tuck very nicely. I scraped my SLP headers often when ...

  1. #61
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    For deals...check out our sponsors.
    Clearance issues?? No way. They tuck very nicely. I scraped my SLP headers often when I was at the stock ride height.
    I am now dropped 1.5"-2" (ProKit) and I haven't scraped the Kooks once.

  2. #62
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Ready for this???


    Headers.
    SLP. Design is flawed as they have serious clearance issues and are extremely curvy. Power claims on SLP's are simply bullshit. I didn't gain that kind of power with a cam install.
    I went with Kooks. I needed a larger primary so I figured I would go with one of the best.
    SLP vs. Kooks...
    Click for full size

    Kooks are expensive though.
    Pacesetter and JetHot seem to be great lower price alternatives.

    I scraped my SLP headers all the time and I was at the stock ride height. Much more than I do now....and I am running the Kooks with a ProKit drop.

    Catbacks
    SLP. I like the Loudmouth under one condition. The rest of the exhaust is stock AND will stay that way. Meaning no longtubes.
    My recommendations....
    GMMG, Corsa, Borla are the pricey ones.
    Magnaflow and Hooker are the ones I would go with personally.
    Slowmasters catback sounds 'okay' but flows terrible in comparison.

    MAF
    SLP again banks on the rookie modder by claiming power gains. Which you will get. Because you will go lean. Sometimes lean enough to cause detonation leading to piston damage.
    Stick with your stock MAF. Good for 500+ RWHP.

    SLP Customer Service
    I got a great deal on a new SLP oil pump for my 402 build. Took it.
    Had an issue with the oil pickup bolt hole. The threads came out under nothing more than finger tightening.
    Not in the mood to get into it about this again.
    Read here if you would like

    Overall...SLP just sucks. They are using designs for the LS1 cars from 1998 while other shops are using new designs. Claiming bullshit power gains. Not backing their products.

    Sure I missed something in there...
    Any questions??
    SO I SHOULD GET RID OF THE SLP MAF THAT CAME ON MY CAR I HAVE BEEN HEARING A BIT OF DETENATION. I HAVE THE MAF THE AIRBOX THE SMOOTH AIR BELLOWS AND THE CATBACK SLP EXHAUST (NOT THE LOUDMOUTH) THAT WAS ALL ON MY CAR WHEN I GOT IT. SHOULD I JUST PUT THE STOCK MAF BACK ON? AND DO YOU THINK THAT'S WHERE THE DETENATION WAS COMING FROM??????? THANKS!

  3. #63
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry01ss View Post
    SO I SHOULD GET RID OF THE SLP MAF THAT CAME ON MY CAR I HAVE BEEN HEARING A BIT OF DETENATION. I HAVE THE MAF THE AIRBOX THE SMOOTH AIR BELLOWS AND THE CATBACK SLP EXHAUST (NOT THE LOUDMOUTH) THAT WAS ALL ON MY CAR WHEN I GOT IT. SHOULD I JUST PUT THE STOCK MAF BACK ON? AND DO YOU THINK THAT'S WHERE THE DETENATION WAS COMING FROM??????? THANKS!
    I've been hearing that too.. That the SLP Mass Air flow sensor will make your car detenate.. I live here in Cali and I never had any problems with the SLP MASS.. I have SLP cold air ind kit and mass.. Never had any problems with running lean or detenation problems..

  4. #64
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    I've been hearing that too.. That the SLP Mass Air flow sensor will make your car detenate.. I live here in Cali and I never had any problems with the SLP MASS.. I have SLP cold air ind kit and mass.. Never had any problems with running lean or detenation problems..
    Some do, some don't.

    I bet you are running leaner than stock though.

  5. #65
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Some do, some don't.

    I bet you are running leaner than stock though.
    I don't know.. i will have to check it out with a scanner i'll keep you guys updated.. and let you know what i found out..

  6. #66
    SMKDFRD
    Guest
    I bought my car from the original owner and he had custom ordered the car in 2001 with every SLP from the smooth bellows to the key fobs, Blistien Suspention, Dual Dual low restriction exhauset. The whole nine yards. This is my first Camaro and so far I have to say that I like what it has. But I really have nothing to compare to since this is my first Camaro. All in all I've been happy with the purchase.

  7. #67
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    I don't know.. i will have to check it out with a scanner i'll keep you guys updated.. and let you know what i found out..
    Scanner won't cut it.
    You would need to get a wideband on it.


    And GM wouldn't let a car get sold if there would be a problem. The SLP optioned cars are great. They are covered by GM's warrenty and aren't nearly an issue like their aftermarket parts support since GM covers it.
    Just don't mod with SLP.

  8. #68
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Scanner won't cut it.
    You would need to get a wideband on it.


    And GM wouldn't let a car get sold if there would be a problem. The SLP optioned cars are great. They are covered by GM's warrenty and aren't nearly an issue like their aftermarket parts support since GM covers it.
    Just don't mod with SLP.
    With the scanner i can drive my car and have my friend check out the A/F ratio... at idle and WOT... also when i'm at cruise.. i can look at numerous things map,iat,ect,tps,stft,ltft..... and list goes on... lol...

  9. #69
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    With a narrowband.
    Which is just your stock O2's. Which may not show enough to tell you anything. Otherwise they would adjust and richen you up.

    Wideband or bust on that one.
    What scanner? HPT?

  10. #70
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    With a narrowband.
    Which is just your stock O2's. Which may not show enough to tell you anything. Otherwise they would adjust and richen you up.

    Wideband or bust on that one.
    What scanner? HPT?

    Naw man i'm talkin top of the line.. SNAP-ON or maybe a Genysis..

  11. #71
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    If it plugs into your ODBII port and reads the stock O2's...it isn't all that accurate.

  12. #72
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    If it plugs into your ODBII port and reads the stock O2's...it isn't all that accurate.


    Of course it will.. i've use them before to see when O2's are going bad.... it has about a couple sec. delay. and all the OBDII stuff isn't live right away anyway.. the only stuff thats real time data.. is CAN... and that will be in the new MARO'S.. it will be mandatory in 2008... all cars will have them..
    Last edited by WARP211; 02-28-2007 at 03:44 PM.

  13. #73
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    It is the stock O2's themselves that aren't that accurate.
    Not the ODBII system or the scanner.

  14. #74
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Some do, some don't.

    I bet you are running leaner than stock though.
    so should i get rid of the SLP mass if im hearing it under a hard take off but its only there for a sec or two then it hauls ass but its only at the take off i thought i needed more fuel

  15. #75
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    That is when the motor fights the hardest.
    It could be the MAF for sure.

  16. #76
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    That is when the motor fights the hardest.
    It could be the MAF for sure.
    so would i lose power if i went back to the stock mass or do you think i shoud keep the slp on there for more air flow? i know you said that the slp headers and y pipe were too expensive. what's a good alternative for the money and for the horsepower increase? should i keep the slp exhaust that's on my car it's not the loudmouth or should i get something else?

  17. #77
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Keep the loudmouth for now. Wait until you hear it with headers to decide what to do about that.
    Headers...go with Pacesetters or JetHots. Great pricing and they are good pieces.

    I would personally remove that MAF. Might drop a couple (minimal) ponies, but it might be worth it if the detonation goes away.

  18. #78
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Keep the loudmouth for now. Wait until you hear it with headers to decide what to do about that.
    Headers...go with Pacesetters or JetHots. Great pricing and they are good pieces.

    I would personally remove that MAF. Might drop a couple (minimal) ponies, but it might be worth it if the detonation goes away.
    sweet thanks i dont have the loudmouth i have the other one..so just get one of those headers do i need a certain type or just look it up for my car and when will i need to add more fuel??
    thanks man

  19. #79
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Headers can actually richen a car up a little.
    Look for your year and you will be good to go.

  20. #80
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Headers can actually richen a car up a little.
    Look for your year and you will be good to go.
    sweet man thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need your opinions
    By Gillyss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
  2. Ls1 I need your opinions on these........
    By Murder after Midnight in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:59 PM
  3. Need your opinions please...
    By Lswoo in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
  4. need some opinions
    By a338566 in forum General Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
  5. next mod opinions???
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 08:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •