Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Opinions about SLP

This is a discussion on Opinions about SLP within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; for easy installment slp works well. everything bolts right on. i have their coldair, air lid, headers+catback and the ultra ...

pewter
    '01 Z28

for easy installment slp works well. everything bolts right on. i have their coldair, air lid, headers+catback and the ultra Z hood. all of them were easy to install. the headers do hang way low as well as the y-pipe. however i did like the gains i got from these items. plus the sound is great. just dont try to go over any speed bumps! the prices are pretty high too. just know what you want your ride to do before you do anything to it.

Just so we compare apples to apples here,,,,I am curious who else offers tuned length headers like the SLP long tubes?

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh, by the way,,,all of the power pack SLP packages are based off of the LS6 intake as well,,,something to keep in mind. Larry.
    yes i heard that and thanks for reminding me. that further reinforces my point. if im going to swap my intake, ill go with the fast 90. it would be pointless to me to waste more money on a stock manifold that doesnt flow as well as the fast unit. but i dont know and thats the overall point so like i said keep it coming!!!!!

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    400hp w/ 4.11s should equal low 11s... Mid twelves with that setup is pathetic.
    That 400HP at the flyweel not the wheels.. its a bit pricy for the pkg anyway.. i would rather go with heads and a cam setup for that price..

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

cs stinks

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I believe Texas Speed is the company that currently has the fastest stock long block Fbody in the country with only a camshaft change,,,one of their majic sticks. That says a little something about them backing up what they sell. Larry.
    TR TREX

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    I can't beleive that they r calling some of u guys liars on the phone. That is completely ridiculous. I just can't imagine. Like how did they call u a liars? Did they ask what current mod's u had, and then they didn't believe u? WOW! that is really bad in my mind. I don't blame anyone for not ever using or recommending any of their products after an experience like that.
    They lost my order and tried to cover it up by saying that my debit card was declined. I contacted Visa and got a statement from them saying SLP never attempted to bill me. I faxed it to them and made them eat their b/s. They never apologized for it though. On a second occasion they were completely unwilling to admit they shipped me a bent 10 spoke wheel and even after receiving pictures of the bent lip they then began to blame the shipping company for the bent wheel, which most likely didn't happen. They need to lose their arrogance IMO.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

what other headers give the same power as the SLP ones they are very expensive and that is going to be my next mod...HELP ME PLEASE THANKS

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry01ss View Post
    what other headers give the same power as the SLP ones they are very expensive and that is going to be my next mod...HELP ME PLEASE THANKS
    Any longtube out there will give you the same or more HP gains compared to the SLP ones.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Any longtube out there will give you the same or more HP gains compared to the SLP ones.
    any recommendations????

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

took me 3 weeks to get part that was suppose to take 1 week. when i called they gave me this story about how they lost all there orders in the system had to redo everything...but would not express ship the part @ no charge made me wait 2 more weeks

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    took me 3 weeks to get part that was suppose to take 1 week. when i called they gave me this story about how they lost all there orders in the system had to redo everything...but would not express ship the part @ no charge made me wait 2 more weeks
    that sucks

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Ready for this???

Headers.
    SLP. Design is flawed as they have serious clearance issues and are extremely curvy. Power claims on SLP's are simply bullshit. I didn't gain that kind of power with a cam install.
    I went with Kooks. I needed a larger primary so I figured I would go with one of the best.
    SLP vs. Kooks...
    Click for full size

Kooks are expensive though.
    Pacesetter and JetHot seem to be great lower price alternatives.

I scraped my SLP headers all the time and I was at the stock ride height. Much more than I do now....and I am running the Kooks with a ProKit drop.

Catbacks
    SLP. I like the Loudmouth under one condition. The rest of the exhaust is stock AND will stay that way. Meaning no longtubes.
    My recommendations....
    GMMG, Corsa, Borla are the pricey ones.
    Magnaflow and Hooker are the ones I would go with personally.
    Slowmasters catback sounds 'okay' but flows terrible in comparison.

MAF
    SLP again banks on the rookie modder by claiming power gains. Which you will get. Because you will go lean. Sometimes lean enough to cause detonation leading to piston damage.
    Stick with your stock MAF. Good for 500+ RWHP.

SLP Customer Service
    I got a great deal on a new SLP oil pump for my 402 build. Took it.
    Had an issue with the oil pickup bolt hole. The threads came out under nothing more than finger tightening.
    Not in the mood to get into it about this again.
    Read here if you would like

Overall...SLP just sucks. They are using designs for the LS1 cars from 1998 while other shops are using new designs. Claiming bullshit power gains. Not backing their products.

Sure I missed something in there...
    Any questions??
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks Mr. Luos - great info.

Where did you get the Kooks? Did you install yourself? They look to have a MUCH cleaner and straight path! I am looking to do this mod in the spring and by myself - thoughts on install degree of difficulty?? What exhaust did you run with the Kooks?

Again, great info - thanks.

Still back to my original question that no one has touched on. SLP headers are tuned length,,,,who else makes a tuned length header? There has to be someone. Part of that price you are paying is for tuned length tubing which cost more to manufacture. I want to compare apples to apples as far as pricing goes.

Also 1bad LS1 posted TR TREX next to my post about the claim of texas speed having the fastest naturally asperated long block with just a camshaft,,,,what the heck is TR TREX and what does it mean. I can't make sense of all this abreviating. Larry.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    That why their bolt on's.. bolt them in... you can bolt them off too...
    you can do the same with all other ls1 compamies and thier parts cost less.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

Sorry Firebird - did not mean to hijack your post. IMOP the "tuned length" is marketing BS. Look at the kooks in the photo - which header do YOU think flows better????

It is not the one that is "tuned length" and bends around like a freakin' snake....

To your original Q - I don't know any other headers that are advertised as "tuned length". Anyone else know??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02FASST View Post
    Thanks Mr. Luos - great info.

Where did you get the Kooks? Did you install yourself? They look to have a MUCH cleaner and straight path! I am looking to do this mod in the spring and by myself - thoughts on install degree of difficulty?? What exhaust did you run with the Kooks?

Again, great info - thanks.
    I got mine on special from a non-sponsor.

Installed them with the motor out of the car. The install is probably a weekend job for a first timer.

My set-up past that is cutouts and custom duals.
    Click for full size

Don't worry about the hijack thing,,,we all get off subject,,quite frankly it doesn't bother me anyway.
    I wasn't referring to which flow better,,,but it's been shown many times on engine dyno's that a tuned header will indeed make more power so long as the headers are designed properly.
    The fact that the SLP tuned headers are very "snakey" I am sure is due to these Fbodies really not having enough room to do it any other way.
    In a larger car with more room they could be designed much smoother.

In this instance of the F-body, with tight confines and no room to work,,,I really can see where these tuned headers from SLP can have adverse affects. I was just curious if anyone else made tuned headers for the LS1.
    Most people were complaining about the price and comparing it to other headers that were not of similar design,,,which compares apples to oranges. I am just of the opinion that if a website like this is to be helpfull for everyone,,,,comparisons should be kept on a level playing field.

To be honest,,,the non tuned headers like kook headers, pacesetters, and the like,,,will all make about the same power on a given engine so long as tube diameters are the same. Just depends on how much money you want to spend, type of material used, coatings etc...
    I will personally go with pacesetters for a couple of simple reasons,,,for one, headers generally will last me a lifetime because I don't drive the cars in inclement weather,,,and putting more expensive kook headers or some other expensive brand is not going to yield me anymore power, so the extra money that I saved can be used somewhere else.
    I am all for top brand quality parts and I spend tons of money on other things,,but as far as standard style headers go for a street car,,,the pacesetters do just as well as the highdollar stuff, and seems to be the favorite among most F-body owners that I know or talk to. Usually I will spend more money on expensive headers if the fit is better on a given car,,(hooker super comps are my favorite on the old cars due to better fitment) but most everyone is pretty happy with pacesetter fitment and quality on these 4th gens it seems. Sorry, I am done babbling. Larry.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I got mine on special from a non-sponsor.

Installed them with the motor out of the car. The install is probably a weekend job for a first timer.

My set-up past that is cutouts and custom duals.
    Click for full size
    Do you run into any clearence issues with the kooks headers.?? Or any other problems when installin the headers.?? Where can I find a good deal on the kooks headers.?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information