Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Opinions about SLP

This is a discussion on Opinions about SLP within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Seems to be a few that have had bad experiences with SLP. I personally have not had trouble. Although I ...

Seems to be a few that have had bad experiences with SLP. I personally have not had trouble. Although I have only bought the SLP lid for mine so I haven't dealt with them much. There are a few things I would buy from them simply if it's not available anywhere else. Some of the comemorative paperwork on the SS and WS6 cars is pretty neat, and some of the factory parts unique to SS cars but other than that,,,if it comes to speed parts I would go elsewhere,,,not because of bad experiences,,,but because I already have other connections from playing with other cars and I stay with what I know and I'm happy with.
    Keeping in mind it's SLP that helped create these cars that everyone here loves so much. So we can't really knock them too much without being considered hipocrits. Larry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I can't beleive that they r calling some of u guys liars on the phone. That is completely ridiculous. I just can't imagine. Like how did they call u a liars? Did they ask what current mod's u had, and then they didn't believe u? WOW! that is really bad in my mind. I don't blame anyone for not ever using or recommending any of their products after an experience like that.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    warranty will get voided with slp parts also.
    That why their bolt on's.. bolt them in... you can bolt them off too...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thumbs up

it looks like i'll be steering kinda clear of street legal performance. i appreciate all the feedback as it is extremely usefu because im almost 19, in college and money is not something that shows up in huge numbers. Ive been talking to a few people ive met around town with some really nice f bodies plus everyone on here and i am going to look into texas speed and thunder racing. anyone run or heard about the magic stick 3 cam form tsp? let me know
    thanks,
    john

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    it looks like i'll be steering kinda clear of street legal performance. i appreciate all the feedback as it is extremely usefu because im almost 19, in college and money is not something that shows up in huge numbers. Ive been talking to a few people ive met around town with some really nice f bodies plus everyone on here and i am going to look into texas speed and thunder racing. anyone run or heard about the magic stick 3 cam form tsp? let me know
    thanks,
    john
    yeah i heard of of the magic stick.. its a good cam it put up some decent numbers.. you should look in to GM high tech performance.. They did an articule on the magic stick and some of the thuder racing products.. gives you HP#'s and TQ#'s at the wheels not the crank...

Silver
    2002 Z28

I would advise against SLP, only had trouble with them so far. I would definately recommend some of the Thunder (not thuder) racing products a lot of people have seen some good gains. I am a college student myself so I understand the money issues. What mods do you have already, might not need to look at cams yet.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I seen some one at the track that had the whole SLP PKG.. 400HP one.. with some 4.11 gears.. he ran a consistant 12.5-12.4 and i think he had slicks.. no too sure if he did.. If you don't have that much money or money is an issue with you.. then i would go with cam that should be a good gain and not to much money.. if you install it yourself.. But you'd better know how or else..

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Thunder Racing & Texas Speed
    excellent info and amazing customer service

MTI & LG are also good but pricey

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    then i would go with cam that should be a good gain and not to much money.. if you install it yourself.. But you'd better know how or else..
    bolt on car plus TR224 cam ='s low 12's high 11's

slp's H/C combos have proven

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

That why their bolt on's.. bolt them in... you can bolt them off too...
    you can swap out a cam in 3 hours too...

mods/aftermarket parts void warranties if found upon inspection and or reported as so by the repair facility

ofcoarse you can swap them out and not have a problem, but you have to be willing and able to... and not to forget

keep in mind all bolts ons dont take 15 minutes to swap out

Pewter
    2000 z28

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    I would advise against SLP, only had trouble with them so far. I would definately recommend some of the Thunder (not thuder) racing products a lot of people have seen some good gains. I am a college student myself so I understand the money issues. What mods do you have already, might not need to look at cams yet.
    i only have a lid and i havent bought anything else because i want to know everything about whatever i buy. i want the obvious next mod(exhaust) but then im thinking a torque arm and more suspension. h/c is definetely in the future but i want to get all the power to the ground and see what i can do with stock rear end and exhaust before crackin' her open. as i understand it from these forums, tuning is extremely crucial so i will have to save for that also.
    suggestions would be amazing b/c ive recently gotten bitten by the scca bug. it seems like an f body could run with anything.
    Last edited by secondgearscratch; 02-27-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Silver
    2002 Z28

Not to sure about the SCCA but imagine would take a lot. Exhaust you cant really go wrong with any of them, I would suggest for the price some Pacesetter headers, off road ypipe, and a cutout. That will give you the most free flowing exhaust for you money. Now, is it an M6 or A4? For SCCA you will need to throw a good amount of money into the Suspension.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I seen some one at the track that had the whole SLP PKG.. 400HP one.. with some 4.11 gears.. he ran a consistant 12.5-12.4 and i think he had slicks.. no too sure if he did.. If you don't have that much money or money is an issue with you.. then i would go with cam that should be a good gain and not to much money.. if you install it yourself.. But you'd better know how or else..
    400hp w/ 4.11s should equal low 11s... Mid twelves with that setup is pathetic.

I believe Texas Speed is the company that currently has the fastest stock long block Fbody in the country with only a camshaft change,,,one of their majic sticks. That says a little something about them backing up what they sell. Larry.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Not to sure about the SCCA but imagine would take a lot. Exhaust you cant really go wrong with any of them, I would suggest for the price some Pacesetter headers, off road ypipe, and a cutout. That will give you the most free flowing exhaust for you money. Now, is it an M6 or A4? For SCCA you will need to throw a good amount of money into the Suspension.
    it's a 6 speed. im not neglecting the straight line by any means bc i love drag racing but i love DRIVING also. i thought about 4:10s in the near future but im gonna stick with the 3:42s. how much does a cut out add, about 10hp? i want to pull hard through all gears (dont we all) but a cut out increases top end right? im undecided as to where im going with this project but i want a well rounded car nontheless.
    keep the info coming!!!!

Ya that SLP setup is a little misleading though. That 400 HP rating from SLP is at the flywheel,,,not the rear wheels,,,so those claims are about right.
    What SLP is doing is testing these components on a chassis dyno and then computing that to flywheel HP.
    The 400 HP package is only headers, rockers, air lid, a diablo tune, cat back exhaust, and thats about it,,,so running 12's with so little isn't too terrible,,,I still wouldn't go this route though,,,there are better ways. Larry.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I believe Texas Speed is the company that currently has the fastest stock long block Fbody in the country with only a camshaft change,,,one of their majic sticks. That says a little something about them backing up what they sell. Larry.
    i heard that too and ive gotten alot of good feedback about texas speed products from people i run into around town. onw of my friends has the magic stick 3 ready to drop in his trans am. he has a y pipe with slp catback and 4:10 so im anxious to see how the cam will compliment everything else.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya that SLP setup is a little misleading though. That 400 HP rating from SLP is at the flywheel,,,not the rear wheels,,,so those claims are about right.
    What SLP is doing is testing these components on a chassis dyno and then computing that to flywheel HP.
    The 400 HP package is only headers, rockers, air lid, a diablo tune, cat back exhaust, and thats about it,,,so running 12's with so little isn't too terrible,,,I still wouldn't go this route though,,,there are better ways. Larry.
    i read about that package in gmhtp and it doesnt seem like it is worth the amount of money. i'd rather buy a comlplete h/c package with rocker arms and rods for that amount of money.

Oh, by the way,,,all of the power pack SLP packages are based off of the LS6 intake as well,,,something to keep in mind. Larry.

Yes I totally agree,,,,I would rather go the head and cam route myself. If your going to make a change you may as well make a big one,,,right? Larry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information