Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: old maro owners

old maro owners

just wondering why guys over 40 bought their ss. got mine in summer 2002 ss le 345hp 8k because i could finally afford one. love the old cars but i just want to hop in and enjoy it. also i think ss is one of the best performance buys dollar for dollar today .needed four seats for kids so i couldnt get a vette

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Just so ya know... 40 is not old!

I bought mine cuz I wanted it and it was affordable

But, If I had the space, extra cash and ability to restore another classic... I would in a heart beat

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FYI: Your "SS" is pretty much the same car as my Z28. And I bought it as the newest model of a style of car I've been buying, driving and racing since 1973.

And its a "Camaro" not a maro....

maro just sounds lame....

Just thought I'd add this: Any Chevy can be an SS but only a Camaro can be a Z28.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 12-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i'm 40 now, but bought my z28 four years ago. i went out to get a ridiculously unreasonable car (especially for german standards), and succeeded.
    i thought i'd have my fun with it and sell it after a year or so. wrong. these cars are like crack.

just used the word maro because their was a post for young maro owners. thought us older guys needed a post. and 42 was old compared to the average age of an owner in age poll. no z28 can be limited edition camaro

metallic pewter, red
    2002 Z28, 1972 Z28

41 here and bought my Z28 last year after driving a ranger for 14 years. Always liked fast cars and have enjoyed the 4th gen alot since buying it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    just used the word maro because their was a post for young maro owners. thought us older guys needed a post. and 42 was old compared to the average age of an owner in age poll. no z28 can be limited edition camaro
    Not a critique. I have owned older SS and SS/RS cars in the past. I still have a 67 RS/SS. The 35th Anniversary LE SS is a unique commemorative edition.

And I beg to differ. The original 67 Z28 was a limited edition car created for the sole purpose of running the SCCA Trans Am circuit which required a minimum of 500 copies being produced and made available to the public so as to be able to run in their division. As you may be aware they made only 602 of these that year. It wasn't even mentioned in dealer advertisement.

We have always had camaro's, a pair of 69 SS 396's years ago,,then a 69 Z28. After that it was a 72 Z28 I drove for years. Really fell for the second gens and bought a 70 Formula shortly after. Still have that one. Bought a 97 Z28 convertable new for my wife. She drove that for many years until it was totalled earlier this year. During that ownership I wanted a 4th gen vert of my own and bought an 02 SS convertable to enjoy and tinker with.
    After her convertable was totally we replaced that with yet another SS,,,this one a 2000 T-top model for her to drive.
    Now with a pair of 4th gen SS's I still had a desire to have one of those 69 camaro's again. So I recently bought my neighbors Legit X33 code 69 Z28 RS that I'm going to do a frame off on soon.

I like the 4th gens but just can't get away from the old stuff, it's in the blood.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Not a critique. I have owned older SS and SS/RS cars in the past. I still have a 67 RS/SS. The 35th Anniversary LE SS is a unique commemorative edition.

And I beg to differ. The original 67 Z28 was a limited edition car created for the sole purpose of running the SCCA Trans Am circuit which required a minimum of 500 copies being produced and made available to the public so as to be able to run in their division. As you may be aware they made only 602 of these that year. It wasn't even mentioned in dealer advertisement.
    I knew you'd be back to reply to that one

i must disagree. limited production does not make it limited edition.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Your original question was / is why did older guys buy their Camaro's?
    My first car was a plain jane 69 Camaro,that my uncle taught me to drive in and I've had several more, 6 to be honest, Camaro's ever since with my all time favorite having to be my '67 RS/SS that I bought from the original owner.
    So when I think about it, I've owned Camaro's through my teens, 20's, 30's, and my last one, a beautiful 2001 SS edition which I modded with a crate engine LS6 into my 40's.
    Now that I've sold the last one and purchased my first Corvette, I feel I've made the next logical step in my progression of automobile ownership.
    Truth is, I've always admired Corvettes and wanted one, and now that I'm an "old man" I can finally afford one.
    I will always be a Camaro man at heart though...because as the saying goes...
    "You never forget your first"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Your original question was / is why did older guys buy their Camaro's?
    My first car was a plain jane 69 Camaro,that my uncle taught me to drive in and I've had several more, 6 to be honest, Camaro's ever since with my all time favorite having to be my '67 RS/SS that I bought from the original owner.
    So when I think about it, I've owned Camaro's through my teens, 20's, 30's, and my last one, a beautiful 2001 SS edition which I modded with a crate engine LS6 into my 40's.
    Now that I've sold the last one and purchased my first Corvette, I feel I've made the next logical step in my progression of automobile ownership.
    Truth is, I've always admired Corvettes and wanted one, and now that I'm an "old man" I can finally afford one.
    I will always be a Camaro man at heart though...because as the saying goes...
    "You never forget your first"
    I wouldn't call the vette a progression,,,usually thats referred to as a mid life crisis

my camaro was a big part midlife crisis. since its my first hot rod got to the point if i didnt do it now i might not ever get another chance

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm kind of in the same boat It's been 8 years since I had to give up my Chevelle and I started realizing that if I were to ever get another 'real' car... it better be now. Not getting any younger here

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

My ownership of Camaro's commenced when I was 18 in 1973 when I bought a 69 SS 396. I was heavily influenced by 2 friends that had purchased 69's new: 1 a 69 SS350 and the other a 69 Indy Pace car purchased in early 1970 with 600+ miles on it (demo car - he was the 1st titled owner and he still has the car). I've owned a Camaro (or Camaros depending, primarily 1st gens) continuously for 30 years (since 1978). I've had the 67 I currently own since 1987. Bought a 1996 Z28 vert new in 96. Traded it in on a low mileage 2002 Z28 in 2005. Hotroded the 02 and bought the 98 for a DD. I've also put a down payment on a 2010 for when they make an SS vert version.

A "mid-life crisis" car for some, an everyday driving experience for others.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    A "mid-life crisis" car for some, an everyday driving experience for others.
    It's a little of both for me

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I always wanted a muscle car and this is one of the only ones left that I could buy and drive without breaking down all the time and they are so much fun to drive it's crazy. A lot of people look at it and say if I could afford one I would buy it little do they know I paid $7500 for a 99 and I'm very happy with the car.

geezer thanks for another useless post. try reading the original post i couldnt afford to have a performance car. thanks for sharing your life story about why your better than me. i could care less. buying my ss was a lifelong dream for me. so go bust somebody else's balls.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

???

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    geezer thanks for another useless post. try reading the original post i couldnt afford to have a performance car. thanks for sharing your life story about why your better than me. i could care less. buying my ss was a lifelong dream for me. so go bust somebody else's balls.
    Brace yourself for a response on this one my friend. But show some respect to the Veterans around here. Watch the way the post "travels" and follow along with it, it doesn't necessarily always stay with the original topic, this is something you'll no doubt learn as you stick around here for a while.
    In the mean time your comment was, in my opinion, out of line to 67RS/SS.

Thread Information