Thread: Old gas

02 Z28

Old gas

i have an 02 z28.. my tail housing blew awhile ago and when it blew i just had a full tank. now the car has been sitting for over a month now, would the fuel still be good? or dump it out? im almost done with the car, just have to put everything back together...

also would it be ok to start your car with just the stock manifolds and cats? y pipe is off currently. and i just wanna start the car cuz its been on jack stands for a week and half without it warming up... or would it be fine if i just let her sit there and just start here when i put things back together.. oh and car shouldbe back on the road b4 the end of the month.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

To your first question, a month is hardly a long time. You'll be fine. I've cranked cars up after sitting 6 months with the same gas and it ran fine.

It's not really going to hurt to start the car as long as it has manifolds/cats on it, but it's going to freak the PCM out for a few minutes. Better to wait until you get everything back together. A month isn't a long time.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The gas is bad but tell you what I'll dispose of it for you what's your address? Put the y-pipe on, the rear o2's might be to close to where the exhaust currently ends and the fresh air being close to the o2's can burn them up.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yes sir, like said above just wait until you have everything buttoned up to do the initial start. Im sure the gas is still good and will be for months to come. Gas does break down but it will take alot longer than a couple of months.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Your gas is fine. Yes you can fire it up with the Y-pipe off, won't hurt the O2 sensors.

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The gas is bad but tell you what I'll dispose of it for you what's your address? Put the y-pipe on, the rear o2's might be to close to where the exhaust currently ends and the fresh air being close to the o2's can burn them up.
    hahaha nope. everybody said gas would be good still. if it really bad i woulda gave it 2 u. and to everybody that replied thanks.. ill probably just wait till i put her back together.. cant wait to start her up again man.. its been a month of me not hearing/feeling the power of my CAR!!!!!!

and to those that havent seen the pics.. lol

thanks for the help

Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

Connecticut resident here. I just paid $2.99 a gallon for regular unleaded for my '96 V6 Camaro. How much is it in Nor Cali?
    Last edited by SS1Eagle; 04-24-2010 at 06:10 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by SS1Eagle View Post
    Connecticut resident here. I just paid $2.99 a gallon for regular unleaded for my '96 V6 Camaro. How much is it in Nor Cali?
    3.30 for premium I never use regular.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Wow, pictures are worth a thousand words and all i could come up with was wow.
    J

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

3.15 In Utah

Thread Information