Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil and Filters

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Oil and Filters

I've been using Mobil 1 for some time in my 135K mile 2000 Z28. I've also consistently used an AC Delco PF61 as an oversized oil filter for the engine. I believe that Chevy recommends the PF25 which is about half the capacity of the PF61. Does anyone have any experience with other filters or sizes that might be more beneficial for my old engine or any feelings about using oversized filters? I never thought about the impact an oversized filter might have on my oil pressure, but my car does run a little low (if you trust the factory gauge). Comments?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Best filter out there right now is the Fram Xtended Guard (no joke). Other good ones are Wix and Napa Gold (exact same filter). I believe the AC filter is an e-core or something like that and would best be called a "middle of the pack" filter. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Penzoil Platinum... all good synthetic oils to run in our cars.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Best filter out there right now is the Fram Xtended Guard (no joke). Other good ones are Wix and Napa Gold (exact same filter). I believe the AC filter is an e-core or something like that and would best be called a "middle of the pack" filter. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Penzoil Platinum... all good synthetic oils to run in our cars.
    No love for the K&N oil filter. I have been using one since I found out Fram uses cardboard caps inside their filter. I do not think an oversized filter will effect your oil perssure because the extra oil will take up the space in the system. I too use Mobil 1 and I also use a quart of Lucas for synthetic oil. My pressure never falls below 45 psi and normally hangs around 60 and as high as 80 psi.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've been using the AC Delco PF61 filter for 10 years with Pennzoil Platinum oil. Zero issues here.

As far as Fram, I'm pretty sure they changed their design and it's a lot better now.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Lots of answers to go with this one but i've got to have at least 6 K&N oil filters and at least 20 qts of Penzoil Platinum
    The Fram "Xtended Guard" as Jeff mentioned is said to be the best at the moment

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    No love for the K&N oil filter. I have been using one since I found out Fram uses cardboard caps inside their filter. I do not think an oversized filter will effect your oil perssure because the extra oil will take up the space in the system. I too use Mobil 1 and I also use a quart of Lucas for synthetic oil. My pressure never falls below 45 psi and normally hangs around 60 and as high as 80 psi.

K&N is also a good oil filter. I was just throwing out the ones I am most familiar with. Just purchased a K&N oil filter yesterday for our Monte Carlo -- but that was more by default as the parts stores just don't carry stuff for older cars these days.

So, I am changing oil this weekend & want the best for my baby Anyways I have an 02 SS A4 With just a lid & borla catback. It only has 19k miles & I don't drive it much. It is more of a weekend cruiser/garage queen. I was just going to go with Mobil1 5w30 from Walmart (because it is cheap) & will probably go with the Fram extended filter that Jeff mentioned. Should I just go with the "stock" size or am I better off with something bigger? I don't race my car, but do get on it from time to time. It won't be driven in the winter, but I usually pull the cover off once a month & let her run for about 5 minutes or so to get the juices flowing. My garage is NOT heated, so it does get pretty cold out there. Is 5W30 the best weight?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would recommend letting your car run a lot longer than 5 minutes. At least long enough for a few heat cycles.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stick with 5W-30 and if you do start your car in the winter it does need to run longer than 5 minutes. You want it to warm up enough that it burns off any moisture, condensation and such in the engine and exhaust system.

Alright, thanks guys! As far as the oil filter, should I just go with the size listed in "book" or is there a better size?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Stock should be fine, there is a longer one you can get though.Can't remember the part number off hand.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run stock size filter most of the time. Have had the longer filter on it once or twice. My oil gets changed around 1,500 miles though so not as concerned with capacity.

Once again, I really appreciate the advice. I ordered Mobil1 extended performance on Walmart.com with the oil filter. I paid for the whole thing & then they tell me that they don't have the 5qt. jug of the EP. So now, I have to go pick up (since I paid for it) the oil filter & 1qt of EP or go cancel the whole order & go with 6qts. of Penzoil Platinum or regular Mobil1 Full syn. I read Sarge's oil report & he ranked the Penzoil right behind the Mobil1 EP. So any opinions on which is better? To be honest, I love my car & want to keep it forever, but I think I am starting to get too obsessed with all this "little" stuff.

In case anyone is interested, I ended up getting 6qts of Penzoil Platinum, a k&n filter, shop towels, hand cleaner, funnel, & a low-profile drain pan (now I don't have to jack up the car!) for $34 at advance auto, after sales & rebates! Pretty happy & hope I didn't pester you guys too much with my questions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a great deal. I run Penzoil Platinum in 3 of our cars right now, including the Trans Am.

No such thing as too many questions... that is what keeps us going!

Well, thanks for all the input. Yeah, that deal was too good to pass up!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Do the rebates online, i bought 2 of the same special. Took like 5 minutes to do the rebate

Excellent. Thanks, the less writing I have to do outside of work, the better!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Castrol GTX and oversized filters for ~ 20 years here. Never any problems.

Gotta be honest, I am loving the Penzoil Platinum/K&N Filter combo, so far. Maybe it is because I haven't driven it much lately, but it just feels smother & faster since the oil change. Weird how that works.

Thread Information