Thread: OEM SS Hood

Black
    98 Z28

OEM SS Hood

Since i dont see it anywhere i will ask. How do i tell if a SS hood is original OEM or aftermarket? Im looking to buyone from someone whos unsure but i really dont want aftermarket. Thanks

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 A4

First of all, all OEM SS hoods will have engraved serial numbers where one of the hood struts attach. Also, on the underside towards the rear of the hood, there will be raised lettering with the patent number. The hood is made from a material called Sheet Molded Compound or SMC. SMC sheets are smooth on both sides unlike fiberglass which show the strands on the other side. Take a flashlight and look in all the nooks and you should see that the sheets are smooth. SMC hoods are also heavy compared to its fiberglass counterparts. A real OEM SS hood should weigh as much as an OEM Steel hood. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any additional questions if you still doubt the originality of the hood.

BTW, you are wise to not want an aftermarket SS copy. If you were able to compare them side by side, you will see the vast differences in quality, workmanship, fit, etc.

rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

Im trying to sell my aftermarket SS hood right now because I want a real SS hood. The aftermarket ones dont fit right and are very flemsy. The only good thing about the aftermarket ones(well, at least the one I have) is that there light. The only reason id buy another is if the car I was putting it on was a full blown drag car. Save your money and buy a real one!

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

I bought an aftermarket hood and I think that it fits fine, after I modified it so it would fit. I would expect to have to modify a fiberglass hood that is just the way they are. Just don't expect to paint it and put it on and have it fit perfectly, they all need body work. I haven't seen one that doesn't. You can make them look just as nice as a factory hood if you put in the time.

Another easy way to tell is the sides on a fiberglass hood are much thicker than what a factory hood would be like.
    Last edited by 1998z28; 06-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 A4

Very true but time and effort that goes into an aftermarket hood does add up and in the long run, you may have been better off buying the OEM. And another thing, I've seen some aftermarket hoods that are just plain junk qualitywise. Some of the gelcoat was so thin that you could push a finger through it. At least with the SMC hoods, it is uniform and very strong.

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by yyun View Post
    Very true but time and effort that goes into an aftermarket hood does add up and in the long run, you may have been better off buying the OEM. And another thing, I've seen some aftermarket hoods that are just plain junk qualitywise. Some of the gelcoat was so thin that you could push a finger through it. At least with the SMC hoods, it is uniform and very strong.
    You are right but I did everything myself, I am only into it around 500 including hood and all supplies.
    You are also right about hoods being flimsy, I won't buy fiberglass anything unless I can look at it personally. Usually you get what you pay for. You can find strong hoods you just have to know what to look for.

Thread Information