Not Sure if im having electrical issues

This is a discussion on Not Sure if im having electrical issues within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hoping someone might be familiar with what happened to my car the other day. First its an 01 ss, i ...

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

Not Sure if im having electrical issues

Hoping someone might be familiar with what happened to my car the other day. First its an 01 ss, i got in to start it after it sitting for an hour and a half and everything inside turned on but nothing would happen with ignition. The battery wasnt dead the alternator was fine and the starter was good. Im not sure if something happened with the factory security system because it almost seemed like it was locking me out of ignition. We thought it may have been the starter so it had to be towed home. The next day it started right up and has been running ever since. Now my husband did change out one of the relays since too so does it sound like problem solved? Im afraid it might leave me stranded again while im out with the kids, any opinions? Also my oil pan gasket was replaced and im still leaking oil, my low oil light comes on about every two weeks? Should the torque specs be checked on the oil pan and does anyone know them? Thanks in advance any suggestions are appreciated.

Mama Steph

black
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by my1stss View Post
    Hoping someone might be familiar with what happened to my car the other day. First its an 01 ss, i got in to start it after it sitting for an hour and a half and everything inside turned on but nothing would happen with ignition. The battery wasnt dead the alternator was fine and the starter was good. Im not sure if something happened with the factory security system because it almost seemed like it was locking me out of ignition. We thought it may have been the starter so it had to be towed home. The next day it started right up and has been running ever since. Now my husband did change out one of the relays since too so does it sound like problem solved? Im afraid it might leave me stranded again while im out with the kids, any opinions? Also my oil pan gasket was replaced and im still leaking oil, my low oil light comes on about every two weeks? Should the torque specs be checked on the oil pan and does anyone know them? Thanks in advance any suggestions are appreciated.

Mama Steph
    is this a A4 or M6? if its a A4 try starting it in "N" next time it wont start. I had the same thing happen to me and now and then it will do this and I just start it in "N" hope this helps,

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It very well could be the VATS system. There is a thread on bypassing it - http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-bypass-your-vats-61262-post1429555/

black
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    It very well could be the VATS system. There is a thread on bypassing it - http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1429555
    or this^^^^

Black
    2001 camaro ss #4168

Thanks guys, and i did try to start it in N it wasnt having it lol.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Relays can give you that kind of behavior. So it is possible that was the issue.

I would bypass the VATS if you don't need/want it anymore.

The oil pan bolts are 18FT-LBS, and there is a specific sequence they're supposed to be tightened in as well.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Clean your ignition key as there are contacts on it that must engage in the switch for the resistance to be read. If that does not work, then swap out the ignition relay under the hood -- they have been known to be problematic. Just pull an identical relay from a non-critical vehicle system and install it in the ignition slot. If you still have an issue, then bypass the VATS as previously posted.

Thread Information