Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

newLS1 owner, glad to be here

Hi everyone, this looks like a great site so thanks for having me! Yesterday I bought a 2002 Z28 (pewter A4, 114xxx miles, all stock, good shape). I got a pretty good deal on it (I think) but already have a minor problem! Already searched around for an answer on here but didn't find anything yet. Hopefully someone here can help me figure out what's going on here..

When I test drove it, none of the dummy lights were on at all. But after I bought it, the service engine soon light came on and is on every time it's running now. Also the engine oil change light comes on sometimes but then goes out after a few minutes. I took it to autozone and had it scanned but the guy said the scanner wasn't showing any codes at all. He said the scanner was just acting like it wasn't plugged in at all. He thought I should check my fuses and maybe one was blown and was messing things up. I called the previous owner and he told me that the oil light does come on sometimes (how nice of him to tell me after the fact) but other than that he claims he doesn't know anything. Keep in mind there were no warning lights on when I drove it the night before, and I've only had it a day.

What is going on here? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone..

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I am new to the site as well -hang in there as you will get help soon. There are a great bunch of guys and gals out there that will help you. A really good site here you have joined

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Change Engine Oil light will illuminate on start-up when you need to perform an oil change on your vehicle. So change it

Before you do anything, walk out to your vehicle, turn the key to the run position (not engine start), press the gas pedal to the floor and release. Do this 3 times within 5 seconds. I beleive thats how it is on these cars. I know in my girl's Yukon thats how it is. Anyways, it should tell you in the owner's manual how to reset the light.

As far as your code goes, it could very well be O2 sensors. 114k miles sounds like its very possible it could be due for some, as that's been the common theme with all mine and everyone I know locally with LS fbodys...

Does the car run any different? Has your gas mileage seemed a little shitty lately?

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Change Engine Oil light will illuminate on start-up when you need to perform an oil change on your vehicle. So change it

Before you do anything, walk out to your vehicle, turn the key to the run position (not engine start), press the gas pedal to the floor and release. Do this 3 times within 5 seconds. I beleive thats how it is on these cars. I know in my girl's Yukon thats how it is. Anyways, it should tell you in the owner's manual how to reset the light.

As far as your code goes, it could very well be O2 sensors. 114k miles sounds like its very possible it could be due for some, as that's been the common theme with all mine and everyone I know locally with LS fbodys...

Does the car run any different? Has your gas mileage seemed a little shitty lately?
    I don't think it needs an oil change, as the oil change lights is just intermittent and the guy I just bought it from said the oil was changed in September. He also said that light has been randomly coming on for a long time. I just read the owner's manual and it said it's common for the oil light to be on the first minute or so and then go out. That's pretty much what it's doing.

But the real problem is that when I try to have it scanned to check the code for the SES light, the scanner shows that it's not even plugged in (tried two different places with same result). So I guess that's the main problem I'm trying to sort out first, and then once I can get it to read a code then go from there. Any ideas what might be going on here?

I just bought the car yesterday so I can't say if it's driving any different or how the milage is, I haven't even driven it that much yet.

Thanks, I'll keep searching around here for answers or maybe take it to the dealer next week if I have to I guess.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

That's only for trucks I think because that how it is on my Avalanche too but for f-bodies you have to:

1. Open key so all dash lights come on but don't turn the car on
    2. Press and hold the mileage reset stick and your Oil Change light will come on and flash or something like that
    3. Turn it off
    4. Turn the car on (running) and see if the light comes on again

As for your SES then take the car to another AutoZone and get a second opinion or even try to find a mechanic that'll run the scanner through your car for free too. Once we get a code then we can go from there and help you fix the issue. Does the car stutter at all or anything?

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    As for your SES then take the car to another AutoZone and get a second opinion or even try to find a mechanic that'll run the scanner through your car for free too. Once we get a code then we can go from there and help you fix the issue. Does the car stutter at all or anything?
    I actually did that, took it to 2 different places and both said the scanner was acting like it wasn't plugged in at all. I saw what the scanner said, it said something like "you must plug unit into car before scan can begin". So no idea what's going on there..I guess that's my main problem as of now. It seems to run fine though...but I just bought yesterday it and haven't driven it that much to make a good judgement either.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I have an Actron scanner that I've tried to use on my mother's 2003 F150 and it won't even recognize that it's plugged in and powering.... weird

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well someone suggested I reset the oil light by holding the trip meter button for 12 seconds....I did, and that fixed that.

As for the scanner not reading, I had a blown fuse that was keeping the scanner from working. it was the CIG/ACCY fuse inside the driver's door.

Got it scanned again and it was showing the code PO420. Tried to clear it but it wouldn't clear. Light is still one.

So now just trying to figure out what to do about this code. Read some other threads saying there are a few things that could cause this code, but 99% of the time it's the rear O2 sensor or the cats going bad.

Anyone have any more input or advice on this?

Thanks for all the help everyone..

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by staledog View Post
    Got it scanned again and it was showing the code PO420.

Anyone have any more input or advice on this?
    P0420- Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold.... From my understanding, its a generic code for that system. Possibly a clogged cat or O2s is what you're looking at. I'd throw O2s on it and go from there... but that's just me doing a quick and lazy fix

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

You should go to the dealer and see if you get free cat's cause thats the code i got and apparently there is an extended warantee on our cars cat's just check it out and see if that will get you a free fix if it doesnt fix it at least you got a free cat lol

Ray Charles blue

You have to pump the gas 2 times in 5 seconds with the GTOs but not the Camaro. Mine has come on a few times in 7k miles.

I hope you get your issues figured out.

Does the car run funny?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Being as the car is new to you, I'm sure you won't drive it as you would maybe a 1995 Toyota Camry.

BUT, if you're worried about your issues, you SHOULD try to drive it somewhat easy and report what your gas mileage is

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Being as the car is new to you, I'm sure you won't drive it as you would maybe a 1995 Toyota Camry.

BUT, if you're worried about your issues, you SHOULD try to drive it somewhat easy and report what your gas mileage is
    Funny you should mention a 1995 econo-box, the car I had before this one was a 95 Sentra. (this is a little bit of an upgrade for me).

Well I took it to the dealer yesterday and they are putting a new cat. converter on it now. I should be getting it back today, and hopefully it won't cost me anything. Although when they called me yesterday they did mention that some other codes were showing too, don't know what that's all about yet..

I guess I'll know the outcome later today, and I'll post it here.

thanks everyone for all the advice so far...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by staledog View Post
    Funny you should mention a 1995 econo-box, the car I had before this one was a 95 Sentra. (this is a little bit of an upgrade for me).

Well I took it to the dealer yesterday and they are putting a new cat. converter on it now. I should be getting it back today, and hopefully it won't cost me anything. Although when they called me yesterday they did mention that some other codes were showing too, don't know what that's all about yet..
    I guess I'll know the outcome later today, and I'll post it here.

thanks everyone for all the advice so far...

Some dealers will try to take advantage of you, if they think they can get a buck on you. You should have a signed service report on what you requested done. This is how I've dealt with the local dealer the VERY FEW TIMES I have needed anything serviced. Should they call and try to collect on something else, ask if they have it in the shop. Should they say yes, ask to call back within a short period of time. Show up, ask to look at the car so they can show you what they called you about in the first place. If everything is legit, they should politely oblige, and show you what the area of concern is. But don't walk in like an asshole with an attitude either. I've done this before with results on both sides of the fence.

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well I just got my car back from the dealer, and sure enough, they replaced the left converter, cleared the SES light, and it didn't cose me a dime!

He did say they saw a few history codes which included:

po161 (o2 sensor right side post converter)

p1626 (theft deterrrent fuel enable signal not recieved)

p1637 (generator L- terminal circuit)

they said they didn't check into any of those codes though, since they were history codes, and as long as the car is running fine and the SES light doesn't come on again, I guess I won't worry about it.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!

white
    2002 camaro ss

thats what i did ! works perfectly

blue
    1999 TransAm

hmm, i didn't know there was an "extended warranty" period for stock cats... how long/mileage is it for?

...BTW, glad OP is getting the trouble fixed

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    hmm, i didn't know there was an "extended warranty" period for stock cats... how long/mileage is it for?

...BTW, glad OP is getting the trouble fixed
    10 years or 120k miles - whichever occurs first.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    10 years or 120k miles - whichever occurs first.
    crap - guess that means not an option for me!

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

[QUOTE=silverWS.6;2491917]That's only for trucks I think because that how it is on my Avalanche too but for f-bodies you have to:

1. Open key so all dash lights come on but don't turn the car on
    2. Press and hold the mileage reset stick and your Oil Change light will come on and flash or something like that
    3. Turn it off
    4. Turn the car on (running) and see if the light comes on again

its for a lot of gm vehicles without the info center, thats how i re set my oil life, turn key on pump 3 times within 5 seconds and turn key off and its reset. im not saying your wrong but i've never heard it done that way, maybe i look into it tomorrow.

Thread Information