white

new used seats or reupholster stocks?

I picked up a 99 z28 recently and my interiors kinda shot. It has the stock leather powered seats. I'm trying to decide between waiting until I find a decent set of used seats or having these reupholstered. The driver seat is so bad some of the foam is missing and im sure that would raise the cost a lot. The cover kits ive found have been between 750-850. If thats the cheapest rout it would be better to just wait and pick up some used ones in better condition right? I don't want racing seats just nice stock ones. I haven't gone to any shops yet to get quotes but I'm guessing if just for leather covers is minimum 750 then I shouldn't even try.
    I'm missing the headliner and board too. Has anyone seen a covered one cheaper then the one at year one for 220?
    Thanks

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Trim and upholestry companies will usually stitch their own leather in. So it tends to be slightly cheaper than buying a whole new cover. At least that's what I've found in my experience. But I only needed a few panels redone on my old truck, not the whole thing.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

6litereater sells some nice looking seats

If factory replacement seat covers are made ( I assume they are ) Then I'd just recover them yourself.

I've done a ton of reupholstery work, including my own stuff, both cloth and vinyl. Leather is a bit more tedious but take your time and it can be done. Your only investment would be a bucket of hog rings and some hog ring pliers. It's really not that bad.

white

The ones at 6litereater were the ones I was talking about but I want to keep the powered seat. I have recovered seats before its kind of a pain but not to bad. But I still haven't found new covers. The ones I thought were for the stock seats were the covers by 6litereater that are for their seats. I need seat foam too and I doubt they have replacements.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    The ones at 6litereater were the ones I was talking about but I want to keep the powered seat. I have recovered seats before its kind of a pain but not to bad. But I still haven't found new covers. The ones I thought were for the stock seats were the covers by 6litereater that are for their seats. I need seat foam too and I doubt they have replacements.
    That has been my problem as well. I also considered the seats they offer. But, I am now spoiled with the power seats, and, I also need foam replacement for my drivers seat. I've had no luck over the last few years finding one. Mine is squished and leans down toward the door. Not very comfortable... I'm thinking the car was driven by a very, very heavy person in the past I wish I could find someone that made replacements for our cars. Maybe someday

Might just have to wait 15 more years and see if the aftermarket picks them up. These cars are still in that strange age group where there isn't alot of restoration parts out there yet. Demand would have to increase.
    When it comes to the classic cars, every seat cover known to man kind is made, and it's all relatively cheap buy.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Rock auto has the covers but I believe they are expensive

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya to get replacement covers it wouldrun about 700 for a complete set. I did a c6 corvette seat swap in my car and they are much better than the stock seats, I got tp retain my power tracks and ended up spending under 300 bucks

white

Ill just look for stocks or the corvette seats then. Any f body seats between 93-02 will work right? and what corvette seats would work?

Ill just look for stocks or the corvette seats then. Any f body seats between 93-02 will work right? and what corvette seats would work?
    Physically bolt in?? Yes. But if you want to keep the correct look or pattern of material to match the rest of the interior,,,then no. Unless you have leather and can find a seat with a matching tone or shade.
    It wouldn't be an option on mine, as we have cloth on our 4th gen, which is also on the door panels as well as the rear seat. It would look like a cobbled up mess without the correct covers.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Ya to get replacement covers it wouldrun about 700 for a complete set. I did a c6 corvette seat swap in my car and they are much better than the stock seats, I got tp retain my power tracks and ended up spending under 300 bucks
    If $700 for a complete set includes the rear seat as well then I'd say that's not a bad price. Leather covers will be expensive no matter what.

When I do vinyl seat covers on a classic car, just the covers for a pair of buckets and the back seat will run about $500-$600 and that's not including the foam, or my time to do the work.

white

The ones I have are tan but If I found front and back seats that were black it would flow better with the car since the interior is all grey and black and the car and rims are black. Also anyone know where I can get the clips that hold in the switch bezels one the door panel? I'm missing one on each side and cant find them anywhere

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

yes jones its 700 for the set on fleabay or hawks third gen. What classic cars have you been restoring? I know chevelle and other g stuff can be expensive but I just got the front bucket exact rrepro covers for my 66 mustang and they were 50 bucks a piece and with the rear bench it would have been 250 all together.

It's nice to see the covers are out there forsale for the 4th gens.
    I restore various classics, what ever comes my way. I buy my interior parts from Legendary, so I'm probably paying a bit more than some other suppliers charge, but the quality is concours.

Prices on your 66 mustang interior would vary depending on whether it had the pony interior or not.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just sent you a PM. I found two and bought one. The guy has one left

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I also have power leather seats, black, but only need the driver side covers. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

With the age of our cars, I would probably go new versus trying to find a used one in good shape.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Nice thread bump!

I would like mine re-padded and re-upholstered. Then again stronger framed seats would be nice as well, and fixed side bolsters. My Cobalt's recaro seats are awesome as far as firmness and bolster go.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

A company called Katzkin makes the nicest leather seat covers for our cars I have seen. When you go on their website and type in your make/model etc. it comes up nothing but I emailed them and they do make them. They will even hook you up with installers in your area who are authorized dealers so if you have any issue the company handles it. I think they are a grand for front and back leather + installation. I have clothe now and it is like new but eventually I want leather. In the pictures I saw they fit tight and looked exactly like factory.

Thread Information