Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Purchase

Black
    02 Z28 M6

New Purchase

I just purchased a bone stock black 2002 z28. It's currently in the shop having sensors and the catalytic convertor replaced.

The pics are really bad I snapped these at dusk with a very bad camera in the garage. I want to modify this a bit with rims, tires, exhaust, and so on. Unfortunately, I only have the cash do one thing at the moment.

Rims, exhaust, or something else? I have about 900 dollars if you were in my shoes what would you choose? It may be several months before I can make further modifications.
    Last edited by ezwip; 05-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

welcome to the site!! i'd say get you some exhaust first, you could get headers, y pipe, and catback for 900

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Are there any common shops I could go to for this or would I need to find a specialty shop?

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here. I used to own a 92 eclipse turbo gsx which was the fast thing I had ever driven until now. This thing is a real pleasure to hit the gas in.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro ss

looks good, As far as the $900 if you are able to install yourself you can make the money go a lot further. It all depends on which system you want. I would also get a slp air lid which costs around $100 You can get a set of BBK long tube headers for $370. Thats what I would do in your position, check out ls1sounds.com to hear what different types of exhaust sound like. I wouldnt get rims and tires right now because it looks like you still have some tread and I would just wait to they wear out and get both

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    Are there any common shops I could go to for this or would I need to find a specialty shop?
    just an exhaust shop unless you want/can do it yourself. . . id prob order the parts on your own tho. the majority would prob say go pacesetters and magnaflow (smooth, deep) or loudmouth (loud as hell,mean).

Quote Originally Posted by kev70ss View Post
    looks good, As far as the $900 if you are able to install yourself you can make the money go a lot further. It all depends on which system you want. I would also get a slp air lid which costs around $100 You can get a set of BBK long tube headers for $370. Thats what I would do in your position, check out ls1sounds.com to hear what different types of exhaust sound like. I wouldnt get rims and tires right now because it looks like you still have some tread and I would just wait to they wear out and get both

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I have a few friends that can do the installs for beer money. After seeing the first two posts I'm definitely leaning towards an exhaust. I had really nice rims on my last ride so these stock tires are like spikes through my eyes sockets. Performance first this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    I have a few friends that can do the installs for beer money. After seeing the first two posts I'm definitely leaning towards an exhaust. I had really nice rims on my last ride so these stock tires are like spikes through my eyes sockets. Performance first this time.
    ah its a camaro man, it looks damn good even with stock rims. let that ls1 breath and sing mane!!

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ah its a camaro man, it looks damn good even with stock rims. let that ls1 breath and sing mane!!

+1 and welcome to the site

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Welcome!

Black
    02 Z28 M6

You can't see it in this picture but the shifter has the ugliest biggest leather ball I've ever seen on it. I should be able to twist that off right they don't make them where they won't come off do they?

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Ok I just got the car out of the shop this afternoon. I'm wondering if someone can shed light on the skipshift fix. How would I know if it's already been done would the light no longer come on? I see it coming on if I don't shift before 15mph, but if I slap it into second anyways I still have power.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro ss

It sounds like it was already disabled, if not you can do it for a tune or a $0.50 resistor

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

The stock shifter ball is pretty lame, I bought the SLP Leather one from summit. Much nicer in your hand.

As far as skip ship, you'll feel it go into fourth when you slide it down if it is enabled. I don't know if the light goes off when you disable it though. I kind of like it cause it saves me a shift in the city, and also a bit of gas. When I want the power it is there, I'm sure I'll get yelled at for that comment though....

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

Welcome, always good to have another black Camaro join the ranks. The light stays on even once it's been disabled. I have the Skip Shift eliminator in place. You can still manually shift from 1st to 4th, it's just nice not to have to.

Black
    02 Z28

She's a beauty! The pictures really don't do her justice 'though.
    Have you named her yet? -naming her (and talking to her/stroking her spots) will give you a few horses for no money. As soon as I named mine I could feel the extra power!
    Check out the free/low cost mods available on this forum, those will free up some of that $900 for other things.
    Oh yeah, I'm glad you could join us on the "muscle" side of the speed game, welcome!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Congrats on purchasing a sharp looking Z....let the fun begin.

As far as mods, I would definitely start with a lid and an exhaust. For $900 you should be able to pick up a set of Pacesetter long tube headers and a decent catback....that would be a great start.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    Have you named her yet? -naming her (and talking to her/stroking her spots) will give you a few horses for no money. As soon as I named mine I could feel the extra power!
    My wife named the car Christina after the movie. I love her, and my wife too.

I finally got the shift knob off. It had some white glue on there holding it on. The shifter is too big for my old ricer knobs. I had a universal one with screws I thought would fit.

If anyone else needs to do this I recommend a pipe wrench and a towel over the ball so you don't mess it up. Glad I did it this way because if I had cut it off I would look pretty ghetto on the way to the auto parts store! The leather wanted to slide around it only came off with pressure and a strong twist.
    Last edited by ezwip; 05-08-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Black
    2000 SS Camaro M6

nice find...i found mine just like that too...bone stock...

Thread Information