Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New and looking to purchase 4th gen LS1

This is a discussion on New and looking to purchase 4th gen LS1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by garner True. I think I'll go f-body cause they run cheaper and are newer you won't be ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by garner View Post
    True. I think I'll go f-body cause they run cheaper and are newer
    you won't be disappointed. the LS1s are amazing. my mom had and LT1 camaro (which is the motor in the C4) and it doesn't compare to either of my LS1 cars.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

I'm gonna baby it and probably not drive it in the rain so that it hopefully keeps traction. Only times I'll drive it is if I'm going to the track or if I get tired of my genesis coupe and feel like driving american muscle. We do have some pretty good priced f-bodies, just not that many that are easy to find...at least in Texas. My planned mods are exhaust and cut outs, cam, heads and intake(if it's not a 2001-2002), suspension, hoods(if not a ss or ws6), wheels, and maybe turbo/supercharger

I wish chevy would've made a crew cab ls series truck like dodge did with the ram srt-10 cause they would be amazing
    you need to get used to the ls1 before you start modding it trust me i drove a built 83 chevy with a 383 and it was nothing compared to these monsters and the genisis is great but the ls1 cars are a whole different ball game

Black
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Don't look for a particular year as much as the condition the car is in. A well-maintained car will be apparent. Sometimes aftermarket mods can be a sign of a car that was asked to "perform", but it's not always the case.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but your age is the biggest thing to look out for. You do not have a lot of experience in driving and these cars WILL get away from you easily. Take your time and get some experience with driving. A LS1 car can be "learned on" but let's face it, a Ford Focus won't exactly spin the wheels on demand. Respect the car's performance and don't be too aggressive.

Good luck.
    Well said. These babies, even stock, can be very dangerous. My first car was my 94 single cab short bed silverado with the 350 and i taught it hauled a$$. But then got my LS1 and quickly noticed this car is not a toy. Just be careful man.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Hmm I found one I like and it's seems like it's in pretty good condition. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1967555222.html

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Hmm I found one I like and it's seems like it's in pretty good condition. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1967555222.html
    do you have the skills to work on a car like this? things are going to break and this car is far from stock. When i see a car that is modded like this, i feel like the car has been beat to death.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    do you have the skills to work on a car like this? things are going to break and this car is far from stock. When i see a car that is modded like this, i feel like the car has been beat to death.
    I have some skill from working on my friend's dad's 77 vette and I have about 10 friends near me that can help me, my mom can help me cause she worked on car a lot when she was younger with my late grandfather, and I have a full shops and crew to use from my aunt's dealership

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I have some skill from working on my friend's dad's 77 vette and I have about 10 friends near me that can help me, my mom can help me cause she worked on car a lot when she was younger with my late grandfather, and I have a full shops and crew to use from my aunt's dealership
    if you have the skills/tools and the money man, then by all means go for it. just making some points that you may not have considered.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    if you have the skills/tools and the money man, then by all means go for it. just making some points that you may not have considered.
    Thanks for looking out for me. I read that it has LT1 brakes and the 7.5 LT1 rear end, do you think those will stand up very long to the LS1?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks for looking out for me. I read that it has LT1 brakes and the 7.5 LT1 rear end, do you think those will stand up very long to the LS1?
    i'm not very well educated on the LT1 stuff besides the motor aspect of things. hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i cant believe no one has asked this question yet-.-

..i dont mean any disrespect. but do your parents help you out with your hobby?

....or do you sell drugs. lol

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

and just for the record these people downing the LT1's....(i was one also)

i dont see the issue with them other than the water pump and optispark.

got a few friends who have owned both...LT1's with well over 150,000 miles on them abusing the living crap out of it every weekend and they never broke.

and there LS1's would usually blow something. i dont think the LT1's are really that bad of a motor if you take care of it properly....although they do suck nuts to work on

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    i cant believe no one has asked this question yet-.-

..i dont mean any disrespect. but do your parents help you out with your hobby?

....or do you sell drugs. lol
    My mom helps me out

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

any chance your mom might be interest in another son? lol

back on topic though. i would be looking at eother LS1 or LT1f-body with little to no engine mods..stick with suspension and if you really need some go fast then do some drive line work. but i would HIGHLY recommend keeping the engine bay the way it came from factory...just my .02 though just be very careful on what you buy.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    any chance your mom might be interest in another son? lol

back on topic though. i would be looking at eother LS1 or LT1f-body with little to no engine mods..stick with suspension and if you really need some go fast then do some drive line work. but i would HIGHLY recommend keeping the engine bay the way it came from factory...just my .02 though just be very careful on what you buy.
    Like these? http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1967660291.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1962440928.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1929199126.html

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

all look like they are worth checking out. just have a tech buddy go with you to check it out for you.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I drove a genisis coupe and man it felt like a turd compared to our cars i would be careful when you first start driving the camaro or firebird... I know you probably dont want to hear it but its true if you go to your nearest junkyard i bet you find at least 3 of these cars totally distroyed because of stupid people.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I drove a genisis coupe and man it felt like a turd compared to our cars i would be careful when you first start driving the camaro or firebird... I know you probably dont want to hear it but its true if you go to your nearest junkyard i bet you find at least 3 of these cars totally distroyed because of stupid people.
    Yeah the genesis coupe isn't that great of a car. Well that's good cause if I ever need parts I'll have a good supply

white
    02 SS

The only thing I really have to say is do not buy from the area. the reason I am saying this is alot of the sports cars in the area were owned by military personel, and were beat to piss. I got lucky when i got mine, which was unmolested and formerly owned by some older couple. I was stationed there at FT. Hood for three years, and seen how alot of the soldiers drive. Good luck with your endeavor.
    02 SS, Cammed and other shit!!!

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Let me justsay if your willing to spend that much on a car that are basically ten years old, aim for something that's totally stock, totally stock with low miles are worth just as much as a cammed ls1 with minor mods except usually not beaten on. instead of worrying about what you wanna do to it(considering you don't have one yet) worry about finding a well maintained one. I'm a tech and looking at those craigslist postings you posted, those are cars I typiccaly tend to stay away from they were just really altered or fu*%ed with. take your time don't rush and once you get one then worry about what you wanna do then cause all are different and all have their problems (flaws). with that said be careful , these cars are plenty fun I'd have to say though
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 Hard Top - Sebring Silver - All Original, Bone stock
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top - Arctic White - Free Mods, Lid, TB Bypass, 160* stat, Racetronix HP255Lph, Exhaust cutout, LT1 Eibach Springs, Bilstein HDs, Poly Sway Bushings, BMR STB, Torsen gear LSD 10 Bolt

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by supersexy View Post
    The only thing I really have to say is do not buy from the area. the reason I am saying this is alot of the sports cars in the area were owned by military personel, and were beat to piss. I got lucky when i got mine, which was unmolested and formerly owned by some older couple. I was stationed there at FT. Hood for three years, and seen how alot of the soldiers drive. Good luck with your endeavor.
    Yeah that's the bad thing about living by Ft. Hood, but it's also good cause sometimes soldiers are pcsing or deploying and they have to sell their cars fast so they sell them cheap. Bad thing though about that is the dealers list cars for way more than they're worth cause they know young soldiers will pay for it, like one dealership had a 2003 cobra 10th anniversary that was only worth about $22,000 according to nada and the dealer sold it about three days later for $30,000. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information