New to the car

This is a discussion on New to the car within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just got my 01 camaro, traded my turbo s2000 away. Its completely stock I have a small build in ...

White
    2001 camaro z28

New to the car

I just got my 01 camaro, traded my turbo s2000 away. Its completely stock I have a small build in mind for now I have about 2500$ budget to spend next weekend, I wanna get a 228r cam and cat back exhaust, with tuner and tune. I have a few questions will I need a stall converter? Why is it needed? Can I install the cam? I'm a pretty good mechanic but never have done a cam on cam in block engine. What power would be likely to be seen it's an A4 by the way. Average 1/4 mile time? If someone was in the same position ad me what would you recommend for starting parts selection? Thanks for yalls time I no it's pretty newbie questions I'm use to 4 bangers

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Jermocaleb View Post
    I just got my 01 camaro, traded my turbo s2000 away. Its completely stock I have a small build in mind for now I have about 2500$ budget to spend next weekend, I wanna get a 228r cam and cat back exhaust, with tuner and tune. I have a few questions will I need a stall converter? Why is it needed? Can I install the cam? I'm a pretty good mechanic but never have done a cam on cam in block engine. What power would be likely to be seen it's an A4 by the way. Average 1/4 mile time? If someone was in the same position ad me what would you recommend for starting parts selection? Thanks for yalls time I no it's pretty newbie questions I'm use to 4 bangers
    Stall converter is not needed but highly recommended for any A4 car. Especially when you are adding a higher power band cam.

If you have never installed a cam, nor ever watched anyone do it, it can be a gigantic headache that you will be regretting taking on. Can it be done... of course, but it will require some know how and some tools to hold the lifters up while you pull it out, unless you feel like removing the heads.

With that cam and a catback, I'd say you'd be right around 350-360 rwhp. And that's a maybe... you really need the supporting mods such as headers and CAI to wake the cam up.

1/4 times have wayyyy too much to consider to give you an estimate. Suspension set up, tires, launch...etc.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

White
    2001 camaro z28

Appreciate the wisdom why is the stall recomended

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Congrats on moving into the LS world.

These engines are a hell of a lot easier to work on than that OHC stuff and you only need one cam.

Its the space in the engine bay(lack of) that makes thing a bit of a chore.

Do your homework read the how to threads and have fun.

A nice Yank 3600 stall with a trans cooler will wake up the party

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

A stall converter will allow the engine to rev higher (while in gear) which allows it to get into the power band quicker.

It's akin to revving the engine and dropping the clutch (well more like feathering the clutch) in a manual tranny car.

Todays newer cars will withstand a high (3400+) stall better than the older muscle cars did as they have a feature called "lock up" which is an extra clutch which locks up (returns it to normal function) after a pre-determined MPH (38 or so - it's adjustable).

Also most hand held tuners are limited in what they can and/or will do. For proper tuning you need something along the lines of HPTuners. We also have a sponsor that does mail order tunes.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-21-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added info
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Back to basics: 1st thing I would do is add sub-frame connectors, preferably weld in type as these cars have been twist-o-flex since day 1.

You do want to be able to close the doors and have the window seal down the road, yes?

You need to define what it is you want to do with the car before you mod it.

My 02 did a 13.6x @ 105mph (give or take) stone stock with 2.73 gears.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

White
    2001 camaro z28

I'm really only looking for about 400whp daily driver with a badass lobe to it. I appreciate everything yuya

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Jermocaleb View Post
    I'm really only looking for about 400whp daily driver with a badass lobe to it. I appreciate everything yuya
    Through an A4 you'll probably need some heads in addition to the cam to hit 400rwhp. Plus you'll need all the supporting mods that go along with it. The 228 is a good start, and you'll see significant improvements with that cam, plus a good lope.

Red
    2000 Z28

I did the cam install by my self takes a while and is a little tight just take your time and read the directions good.
    Here is a link for swapping your cam out: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Thread Information