Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Camaro SS at track last night

This is a discussion on New Camaro SS at track last night within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Dr.Crash Great point. look at top fuel, how long do those run before they race it? what ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Great point. look at top fuel, how long do those run before they race it? what maybe 5 minutes. same with nascar. when they build their motors they dyno them right after the 15-20 min "break-in". really after the first five minutes, all of the parts have already worn in together.

Generally if something is wrong with the engine, you'll find it on the dyno before it ever makes it into the car.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The 99 Z-28 that I traded for my SS had a rear end whine at anywhere above 45 mph.I took it to the dealer I bought it from and while on my way to the parts department I noticed that they had pulled the rear wheels and were looking inside the wheel wells.Later the Service Adviser told me they were getting me a rental and would have the car for a few days.I asked him why they pulled the rear wheels.He said Standard Procedure, they check for "Rubber" buildup in the rear wheel area.So if that guy had it towed to the dealer,I hope he knows they are going to check for Rubber in the wheel wells.Good luck with any warranty......

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Do they read black boxes now? doesn't it have the last 5 sec or something stored?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

WOW Top Fuel never run the same motor back to back so EPIC FAIL at that post point. New motor everytime they run. And every car is different so......Comparing two cars will never work. You dad's GTO lasted, this car that OP states did not....Bump, set, spike. Break in period is recommended by performance shops, let alone GM, Ford, Dodge, etc... I think they know a wee bit more then some racers on a site.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    WOW Top Fuel never run the same motor back to back so EPIC FAIL at that post point. New motor everytime they run. And every car is different so......Comparing two cars will never work. You dad's GTO lasted, this car that OP states did not....Bump, set, spike. Break in period is recommended by performance shops, let alone GM, Ford, Dodge, etc... I think they know a wee bit more then some racers on a site.
    but after their run, they use the same rear end. Thats what we are talking about. so you fail. also the motor would still run (normally), they do it because they can and its extra insurance. bottom line, even if the car had over 500miles it would have still broke and gm should cover that. i didnt wait the 500 miles on my motor. and i know alot of others who havent and our cars still run. so again i ask DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY MILE WERE ON THIS SS IN QUESTION? if not they you have no basis for your side of the "story". Since i do not know the millage as well, all i am saying is that GM should cover it.

SOM
    2002 SS

All I have to say is Look at the curb weight of the dam pig. I hate to say it but the car is too huge and fat. way too heavy. It's sad that the ss with 426 hp can barely outrun an ls f-body.

Hopefully he gets it warrantied. I would have broken it in for a bit but what the heck if you got the coin for the thing drive it like its supposed to. If GM doesnt warranty it if I were they owner I would destroy GM on youtube and on all the forums for building a car that can't even last 2 passes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

but after their run, they use the same rear end. Thats what we are talking about. so you fail. also the motor would still run (normally), they do it because they can and its extra insurance. bottom line, even if the car had over 500miles it would have still broke and gm should cover that. i didnt wait the 500 miles on my motor. and i know alot of others who havent and our cars still run. so again i ask DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY MILE WERE ON THIS SS IN QUESTION? if not they you have no basis for your side of the "story". Since i do not know the millage as well, all i am saying is that GM should cover it.
    I will give you that, we do not know the miles of OP's posted car. It could very well had a good amount of miles on it. And even if we are talking rears, thats even more filling to my point. You break rear gears in because they NEED IT! It may not have broke if it had miles on it, but we don't know the miles so that is as far as we can go with this discussion. I have learned from countless ASE, Shop owners, Dealer owners, etc..... If will behuve (spell?) to break in rear ends, pretty much a must do if you want it to be problem free.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Do they read black boxes now? doesn't it have the last 5 sec or something stored?
    They have the capablites to look at the parameters to see what the car was doing before it took a shit.!! So yeah they can say 6000 rpm dump the clutch and they pow.... shit broke..

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    They have the capablites to look at the parameters to see what the car was doing before it took a shit.!! So yeah they can say 6000 rpm dump the clutch and they pow.... shit broke..
    That's what I thought. A little CYA for insurance and dealers since 99

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I will give you that, we do not know the miles of OP's posted car. It could very well had a good amount of miles on it. And even if we are talking rears, thats even more filling to my point. You break rear gears in because they NEED IT! It may not have broke if it had miles on it, but we don't know the miles so that is as far as we can go with this discussion. I have learned from countless ASE, Shop owners, Dealer owners, etc..... If will behuve (spell?) to break in rear ends, pretty much a must do if you want it to be problem free.
    I 100% agree with your statement that you "SHOULD" break it in. However, the dealership and GM do not inform you nor do they make you sign anything saying that if with in the first XXX miles you "race/abuse" this vehicle, it will not be covered by warranty. That is the problem i have with them saying "the dealership should not cover this guys car". So i guess we can agree to disagree

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I 100% agree with your statement that you "SHOULD" break it in. However, the dealership and GM do not inform you nor do they make you sign anything saying that if with in the first XXX miles you "race/abuse" this vehicle, it will not be covered by warranty. That is the problem i have with them saying "the dealership should not cover this guys car". So i guess we can agree to disagree
    ^+1

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    All I have to say is Look at the curb weight of the dam pig. I hate to say it but the car is too huge and fat. way too heavy. It's sad that the ss with 426 hp can barely outrun an ls f-body.

Hopefully he gets it warrantied. I would have broken it in for a bit but what the heck if you got the coin for the thing drive it like its supposed to. If GM doesnt warranty it if I were they owner I would destroy GM on youtube and on all the forums for building a car that can't even last 2 passes.
    it's only about 300lbs more that ours and it's got 100 more horse stock. That's just a fat friend in the passenger seat. Or two hot busty 17yr olds in the back seats. I'll see if I can break mine like that.
    And like the doc said I would get a oil change before I 1/4 it. But even with the new rear end I was suppose to break in for 500mi got some pretty hard runs before that, but no 1/4 mile launches I must admit.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Please re-read post #22.The Dealer or Service Agent never said they were not going to fix my car,they were looking for evidence of abuse.Now since there wasn't any,I never had a problem,but if the wheel well was full of rubber,you just know the next thing I was going to hear was,"We will fix it" however its going to cost you $xxx.xx dollars (US) because we found evidence of abuse. One dealer I took the Z28 it to trade it in took it into the service bay on a Saturday and put it up on the lift to look for "Abuse" and told me so.Just my .02

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Far enough for me

I build tranny's and rearends for a living. The only breaking in necessary for the rearend is the gears themselves. And even that is miniscule. All that is required is that you run the car while suspended in the air,,,for 15 minutes or so,,,then let it cool. After that it's ready to rip. No need to drive the car for 500 miles.
    Even the aftermarket gears you buy from most suppliers are already "lapped in" before packaged. So most run in time is not necessary.

Even in this case,,,,I seriously doubt it was the rearend gears that broke. More than likely a weaker link like a half shaft u-joint or spindle. Something of that nature. It really had nothing to do with break in. I'm willing to bet as more of these cars hit the track, regardless of mileage, you are going to see these IRS rearends take themselves apart, especially as power is added.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-30-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post

Blue thunder is right. These new camaro's aren't THAT heavy. Pretty typical of many full size muscle cars from the 60's and 70's really. Nothing I'm not used to. You are only talking about 2-300 lbs. difference from the 4th gens. Like blue thunder said,,,that's just an extra passenger. No biggy.
    I race my chevelle at 4,108 lbs. So a 3,800-3,900 lbs. car isn't that bad to me.
    One thing I will say though, is that the heavier a car is,,,the harder it will be on drivetrain parts,,,it's just the laws of physics. I think the IRS was the wrong choice in that respect. You are going to see many more break in the future.

nbm
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by langss View Post
    Please re-read post #22.The Dealer or Service Agent never said they were not going to fix my car,they were looking for evidence of abuse.Now since there wasn't any,I never had a problem,but if the wheel well was full of rubber,you just know the next thing I was going to hear was,"We will fix it" however its going to cost you $xxx.xx dollars (US) because we found evidence of abuse. One dealer I took the Z28 it to trade it in took it into the service bay on a Saturday and put it up on the lift to look for "Abuse" and told me so.Just my .02
    I agree. having a warranty doesn't mean you can just beat the piss out of it and not have any worries. I think the dealerships frown on it more because of the shop time and labor involved that they won't be getting anything for it. I bought an extended warranty for my 99z. bought it used. a year later the rear started makin noise. I took it in and they were kinda shady about it at first. said they had to inspect it first then let me know if the warranty would cover it. luckily all I paid was 250 deductable and all is well.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    it's only about 300lbs more that ours and it's got 100 more horse stock. That's just a fat friend in the passenger seat. Or two hot busty 17yr olds in the back seats. I'll see if I can break mine like that.
    And like the doc said I would get a oil change before I 1/4 it. But even with the new rear end I was suppose to break in for 500mi got some pretty hard runs before that, but no 1/4 mile launches I must admit.
    Or 18yr olds anyways I got a laugh out of it. ANYTHING BRAND NEW HAS PROBLEMS. I would not personally bring a brand new car to the track and beat the shit out of it. But hey if some dumbass wants to drop 40 or so grand on a new camaro and bring it to the track and break it whatever. I think a car should be broken in. What I do think is bullshit is a dealer or GM trying to get out of a warranty fix on a car that has some miles, yet is well within warranty. Its bullshit, what do they think people are going to buy these cars for. I know I bought mine to beat the fuck out of it. Whats the point of having a car like that if your not going to enjoy it whenever you feel like it. Dont get me wrong I love my car, and take more than good care of it. But at the same time I constantly work on it and maintain it so I can have fun.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Sorry blue thunder only the part about the chics was to you the rest was me randomly talking. And also welcome to the site.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Thanks MNZ28, I know this new Camaro is based off the Holden Monaro/G8, Don't they use basically the Corvette rearend? IRS really is good for better launches and is great for road racing, better then solid rear axle. and if a ZR1 with 638hp has a IRS and it doesn't break, neither should this new Camaro.
    Firebirdjones is right it was mostly a u-joint or spindle, still that's disappointing. Maybe it was built of Monday or Friday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information