Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

New Camaro Disappoints Critics

This is a discussion on New Camaro Disappoints Critics within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Camaro Fan ...I don't know about that, if you look at the large poll here, the "official" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro Fan
    ...I don't know about that, if you look at the large poll here, the "official" poll at camaroz28.com, the large questionaire thing that was done at lt1ls1.com, and the polls on ls1tech just to name several you'll see overwhelmingly positive results for the concept.
    Without anything else to go on aside from the experience of a veteran observer of human nature, I suspect that the overwhelmingly positive response has some component due to those happy that GM has produced anything at all with the beloved Camaro moniker. And, I don't doubt that there are those who actually love this concept. That's fine. To each his own. My feeling is that this is a rather lazy and disinterested effort on the part of GM to "test fire" a product in this segment to gauge how many potential Mustang (and, lately, Challenger) sales they could scoop up. My contention is that the Camaro deserved better than this. It didn't require a Gen1+40. The progression of the Camaro (and its twin) were moving along their own successful path (at least, from my perspective as a consumer of the product over the past 25 years). It didn't need to go back, it needed to progress forward. It needed, at least, the same passion and attention afforded the Corvette.

SNKSKNR
    Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    I always liked the orange one in the middle. I just didn't like the front end.

Ahh, thats better .

Rob
    I like your work man.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SNKSKNR
    I like your work man.

Thanks I did that a looong time ago when I first saw those concepts that started to get posted. I just didn't like the front end. So I Photoshoped it to look better to me . I think it came out pretty good for painting it from scratch. Couldn't get a picture to line up right. Heres some more I did on the same car.

I like this interior better as well. The full size ver. shows more detail, but Photobucket won't let me post it.

And some variations on the grill.

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 01-15-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Angry Automotive Designers are slaves to fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    Looks too much like twins for my taste !

Rob
    Not only are there similarities in overall look, but both the Mustang and the Camaro concept share similar design philosophies with the new Chrysler products: all exhibit that same "chunky" slab-sided look lacking in subtlety or grace, the same lowered greenhouse that gives them all a beetle-brow expression, similar sharp angles (some more, some less).

To quote automotive journalist Phil Paton in today's (Sunday) New York Times (talking about the Charger and Chrysler 300),

"[The Charger and 300] shifted ... exaggeration, rendering it in mass--what can only be called chunkiness. That is another way to visually express muscle."

Muscular, yes, in a linebacker sort of way. But chunkiness never produced automotive body design that could be called subtle or beautiful or sexy. Give me (for example) the 1970 Gen II Camaro, which under the guidance of GM's talented Chuck Jordan took its inspiration from the gorgeous Ferrari 275 GTB/4, rather than from Campbell's hearty vegetable soup (chunky) or a pair of Doc Marten boots (clunky). You want chunky? Be my guest, buy a Hummer.
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Smile Alternate Camaro Concepts

After looking at the renderings by graphicsgod, I only wish someone at GM had the same taste. To me, this is much, much better than the Camaro concept car that Chevy is showing. It does not exhibit the chunkiness that others have referred to, and the interior is visually exciting. Yes, the Camaro concept car "recalls" the 1969 gauges and so forth, but that was one of the things that really wasn't very exciting on the '69, especially the center console mounted gauges. Very awkward location.

Also, as some have pointed out, the huge wheels and tires can not possibly be the optimum in handling, as the unsprung weight must be incredible and the ride very stiff with the extreme low profile tires. You will notice that the new BMW M5 and M6 have 19 inch wheels, which I believe is about the limit for a balance between appearance and performance.

Surely Chevrolet, with all of their obvious talent and capabilies, can come up with a new Camaro that picks up the best features of the first generation but is a truly modern sports sedan. Time will tell.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

I drove up to Detroit this past weekend and have to say that it looks better in person than in the pictures. It's a nice lookin' rod for sure.

And yeah, that Challenger was pretty sweet too. The White with Blue striped GT500 was a looker too.
    Ahhhh, just be happy we're getting to make comments or choices like this. We could be looking at the new 3rd Gen Chevettes along with the latest and greatest from Yugo.

In other words, Quit yer bitchin' it's cool.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

graphicsgod, photoshop the new vette and new stang together...see if it looks like the camaro concept. lol

lee1rbc

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

u know, that concept doesnt look too bad minus the mustang looking hatch. The front end is different and it doesn't seem as boxed on the fenders...a smoother style

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

the only thing i did not like was the rear quarters were a little bulgy---other then that---i think they hit one outta the ball park---the car is sitting on the holden commodore frame---so it looks like were gonna have another car from down under

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    graphicsgod, photoshop the new vette and new stang together...see if it looks like the camaro concept. lol
    Ok here you go . I even added a little Chrysler for free! I still think I could have done a better job .

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 01-16-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I just think it is to erly to tell what the new Camaro will look like. I think GM is just testing the waters, so to speak.

Red
    02' Z28 M6

Amen SSport! This thing looks nothing more than an XLR with a hard top or a CTS V. and the only hood that should be on the damn thing is some sort of RAM AIR!!! Couldn't Pontiac chime in about now with a TA???? betcha they would at least not make it look like a CTS...GM had the time to get it right...and they did not.....problem is, if they just said LS7 Camaro.....then I think a bunch of us may get past the design, maybe....and make it about a 35K car. That way you can buy one and beat a 50K Shelby Cobra......T-Tops too, why has no one mentioned T-Tops.....

I'm sorry, that rear end is just silly. silly lights, silly spoiler, silly exhaust muskets, after the rear quarter straight edge ends, the whole rear end falls off to a straight drop off....is it a hatchback?
    Last edited by 02Z; 01-19-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Bright Rally Red
    Camaro & Corvette

I was lucky to be at the unveiling on the 9th. I have a 69 SS396,unrestored original and I think the concept Camaro is awesome looking. By the way I bought the 69 in 1971 and owned it for 34 years. I gave it to my son last year. The SS will not be the top model after 2 years. The Z28 will be the top model.
    Ralph's Camaros
    2002 SS #2022 GMMG Exhaust,FLP LT Headers,Rapid Stage II Cam. 384 rwhp/381 rwtq

2005 C6 Corvette,Black,Z51, Corsa Exhaust, Kooks LT Headers w/H-Pipe,Halltech Stnger CAI, 388/rwhp & 380/rwtq

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I'd like the design if they took out the grille, changed the tail lights, rounded the fenders, ridded of the tailpipe chrome covers (gayyy), put t-tops off, and re-badged it with camaro emblems. They'd never released the LS7 in the camaro. Maybe LS1 in the Z and supercharge the SS! The Firebirds and TA's may never return, since Pontiac just released the GTO with the LS2 and THAT was a flop...

Hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran D
    It needed, at least, the same passion and attention afforded the Corvette.
    Amen to that!!!!!

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

i wouldn't say it was

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    I'd like the design if they took out the grille, changed the tail lights, rounded the fenders, ridded of the tailpipe chrome covers (gayyy), put t-tops off, and re-badged it with camaro emblems. They'd never released the LS7 in the camaro. Maybe LS1 in the Z and supercharge the SS! The Firebirds and TA's may never return, since Pontiac just released the GTO with the LS2 and THAT was a flop...

The GTO might have been a flop as far as numbers sold but i love mine and that ls2 engine rocks! The whole car shakes while it idles and all the midrange torque/hp that was missing in my ls1 99t/a is in the ls2--i wish i could tell you more but the car still has less then 600 miles on it.

lee1rbc
    If the new Camaro is going to be sharing the GTO chassis then the Firebird is out. Also, could this mean that there will be no V6 Camaro only a more refined V8 version like the GTO with about the same price tag?

torrid red/red interior
    2005 GTO 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by lee1rbc
    If the new Camaro is going to be sharing the GTO chassis then the Firebird is out. Also, could this mean that there will be no V6 Camaro only a more refined V8 version like the GTO with about the same price tag?
    Actually the concept camaro is on the midisze holden chassis---they call it the holden stsatesman there the gto is built on the compact holden frame---the holden manaro and they even have a fullsize holden frame---the holden commodore---all are rear wheel drive as the rear wheel drive platform has never fallen out of favor down under so---keep your hopes up
    Last edited by camaronx; 01-19-2006 at 05:37 PM.

lee1rbc
    I guess I'll be holden on to that info.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information