Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

New Camaro Disappoints Critics

This is a discussion on New Camaro Disappoints Critics within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; And I tend to put zero stock in the judgment of anyone who goes around saying they "put zero stock" ...

And I tend to put zero stock in the judgment of anyone who goes around saying they "put zero stock" in any opinion that contradicts his own.
    Doesn't have anything to do with contradicting my opinion, it has to do with knowing what the heck past Camaros look like while commenting on new Camaro looks...

If someone decides this particular melding of old Camaro styling cues and some modern design cues (most straight off the C6...) is ugly that's fine... Many think it's too retro and wanted an evolution of the fourthgen cars (I think it will grow on most Camaro enthusiasts who aren't crazy about it now, similarly to how the 93+ cars and then again the 98+ cars grew on those who initially slammed their looks). If you don't like it fine, but to say it looks like "anything but a Camaro" to me is just assinine. Maybe I've merely lost my mind...
    Last edited by Camaro Fan; 01-13-2006 at 11:40 PM.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro Fan
    Maybe I've merely lost my mind...

Rob

doublejack
    Quote Originally Posted by SSPORT
    "Bullfreakin' Shit?" Well, golly, Miss Molly, you're sure fired up, aren't you? The fact is, you are quite right that it was a star of the show (read Jim Mateja's auto column in the Chicago Tribune, for example, pointing out that photographers were still circling around 6 hours after the 'unveiling'...) However, a number of us on this board have problems with the looks of the concept. Maybe it's just older guys like me, and perhaps the concept car is aimed more at the 20 to mid-30 year-old market, like you. Personally, I think GM is very capable of good styling, like the great job they did with the 4th Gen Camaro: beautiful lines, a blending of multiple compound curves almost equivalent to the series I Jaguar XJ6 in "rightness" of the design; agressive, yet sensuous. Also, witness how well GM evolved the design of the C5 to the good-looking C6 and new Z06....

However, this one is, I feel, designed to appeal to the Escalade lover: harsh, strident angles, wannabe "macho" wheel arches, excessively chunky hips (compare the graceful A-line hump of the original Gen 1 to this concept), overly protuberant primary elements like that thin-lipped, jutting grille, etc. A comic-book action hero comes to mind when I see it. I agree with you in one sense when you say "The thing screams Camaro": the design sure does scream, all right. "Shrieks its head off" is more like it, actually. And I tend to put zero stock in the judgment of anyone who goes around saying they "put zero stock" in any opinion that contradicts his own.

But hey, that's just MHO, too. Let's hear what more current Camaro owners have to say in this thread....
    I'm 29 so in the demographic you mentioned, and a huge Camaro fan (own a 97 30th anniversary Z and hope to own a 67 someday) and I think the concept car looks like ass. I think you nailed it with the description I bolded. The car looks nothing like a Camaro imo. I believe it does look like a Mustang as the original article states, with a hideous Cadillac grille, complete with overly done edgy lines, and a fat Vette booty (I so dislike C5 and C6 Vette rear ends, they look like they need weight watchers, but I otherwise like those designs). This new Camaro is a major miss and will bomb (see Aztec) if GM dares to produce it.

If someone decides this particular melding of old Camaro styling cues and some modern design cues (most straight off the C6...) is ugly that's fine... Many think it's too retro and wanted an evolution of the fourthgen cars (I think it will grow on most Camaro enthusiasts who aren't crazy about it now, similarly to how the 93+ cars and then again the 98+ cars grew on those who initially slammed their looks). If you don't like it fine, but to say it looks like "anything but a Camaro" to me is just assinine. Maybe I've merely lost my mind...
    With all due respect, I believe you have lost your mind. Cover the nose of this car and compare it to a current Mustang, they're like twins. And this design will never, ever grow on me. I'm in a camp that likes the 93-97 Camaros but not the 98+ ones (I hate the rounded, bulbuous headlights but I do love the LS1 under the hood ) The 98+ never grew on me and it's much, much closer to something I like. This concept car has no chance in hell of turning into something I'd even mildly like.
    Last edited by doublejack; 01-14-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Smile Camaro Concept Car

Well, there certainly is a lot of emotion about the new Camaro concept car. I think that it is important to remember that how a car looks to each of us is purely subjective. We would all be driving the same car, same color, if we all had exactly the same tastes. So, I don't think it does any good to start swearing at someone who disagrees with your particular taste or my particular taste. That's just the way life is.

Some of us love the concept, some of us dislike it, including myself. I count myself as one of those that prefers any of the previous sketches I have seen to the actual concept car. Since Chevrolet built the concept car to gauge public reaction, that's exactly what is happening. I don't think anyone here at ls1.com is trying to tell Chevy NOT to bring back the Camaro; instead, we are all trying to give them our particular takes on the concept in order for them to evaluate them and decide on what the production car will look like. As for me, if it turns out very similar to the concept car, fine, I will give it a chance and try to appreciate it for what it is.

So, let's all try to be polite to one another. We all want the Camaro to return, we just have different wishes as to what it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by runnerdon
    ... We all want the Camaro to return, we just have different wishes as to what it will be.
    Here's wishing that it is, indeed, something different!

doublejack
    I'm sorry if my language offended anyone or if I came across as having an attitude towards anyone or their opinion. I was merely voicing what I think about the concept car.

I also want GM to bring back a Camaro, but if it's that concept than forget it imo. That's doomed to repeat the fate of the 4th gen, where there just weren't enough fans to justify it's existence. It's true that not everyone is going to agree when it comes to a judgement of beauty, but only to a point. For example, if you ask 10 men if Pamela Anderson is a hottie I'll bet my house that 8 or 9 say yes. For the Camaro to succeed it doesn't need that wide of acceptance but it's got to be better than what GM came up with. Sure, there are people who like the this Camaro, but there were also people who liked the Aztec, and the old Transport "Dust Buster" minivan, and all other of GM's major design flops. The idea is to come up with a car that has more than a niche market of fans. Based on the mixed reaction among Camaro enthusiasts I think it's safe to say this car ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by doublejack
    ... Based on the mixed reaction among Camaro enthusiasts I think it's safe to say this car ain't it.
    Very safe.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Red face

Doesn't have anything to do with contradicting my opinion, it has to do with knowing what the heck past Camaros look like while commenting on new Camaro looks...

I wouldn't say the new concept car looks like "anything but a Camaro," although someone on this thread did say that. It is designed to recall the Gen 1 cars, certainly, because that's what most of the potential market seems to want, and those were nice, tight designs. It's interesting that the Camaro evolved more and more into a "sports car" from a 2-door coupe as time went on. All the recent concept cars based on the Gen 1 look go back to that 2-door coupe look, but I'll bet that none of them, if produced, would have the actual rear seat room of the original, which makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better just to evolve the 2-seater sports car theme and lose the rear "seats" altogether? Although, I guess I have to thank those rear seats for allowing me to buy my Camaro in the first place, because I was able to convince my wife that, with the Camaro, I could continue to drive my daughter (then 5 years old) to school, rather than have to put her & the infant car seat in the front seat with the airbag.
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Suprisingly, no matter how large this board will get, I bet you not 1 GM employee that has the power to change things will never see it. You would be lead to believe that during the concept design, they have thought strongly into listening to the public as well as the Camaro enthusiasts. Not once have I heard of a GM represtentative ask for any advice. I used to work at a marketting research company, and we would recieve auto surveys from time to time. Never did the "top dog" company ever do a survey (exept for a Mobil 1 survey). It was always Scion this, Michelin Sport that, unknown name this...

GM can surely send out e-mails to prevent their concept being pre-released to the public, but not listen to the people. Sad, but true.

lee1rbc
    Last edited by lee1rbc; 01-28-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Based on the mixed reaction among Camaro enthusiasts I think it's safe to say this car ain't it.
    I don't know about that, if you look at the large poll here, the "official" poll at camaroz28.com, the large questionaire thing that was done at lt1ls1.com, and the polls on ls1tech just to name several you'll see overwhelmingly positive results for the concept. This is one of the more negative posts on it I've run into actually (ie with few people saying they love it, not saying yall are negative as some kind of slam).

I disagree about only the nose looking like a Camaro. The overall proportions and especially the greenhouse shape and cues (although laid back a little more with more of a fastback, which looks great IMO) are off the 1stgen, the "wannabe "macho" wheel arches" are right off the thirdgen and similar to those on the 2ndgens, if you look at a profile view the shape of the fenders is very thirdgen, the rear of the car is about the only area I would say don't really look "Camaro" to me on whole, but it does have more subtle Camaro cues in the rear still with alot of influence of the C6 quarters. I don't see any mustang in the rear of the car... The quarters are certainly larger with more pronounced shoulders than ever before but I think that looks good, again just like on the C6...

I mean it does share similar size and basic shape w/ the new Mustang, but they're both pony cars, they honestly should have a similar size and basic shape. The 1stgens were kinda similar there with the Stangs at the time as well. If the Challenger wasn't such a huge boat it would share alot of the same look... The 4thgeneration cars didn't look much like a Stang, but to me they always looked a little misproportioned IMO. The raked to the extreme windshield, shorter looking hood, rear spoiler that blended into the quarters, and the mirrors that blended into the fenders kinda threw off the whole shape of the car... I still ended up liking them well enough but this new concept gets back to the roots of the Camaro and what it should be shaped like generally IMO... It seems fitting w/ the design of the new Corvette and alot of other GM cars/trucks that the creased, muscular angular design should be used in the Camaro as well.

I think the mean creased quarters are one of it's nicest features:
    Last edited by Camaro Fan; 01-14-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Comparisons:

Couldn't find a suitable comparison overhead shot of a Stang, but this doesn't look like any Stang to me:

With all due respect, I believe you have lost your mind. Cover the nose of this car and compare it to a current Mustang, they're like twins.
    I'm not even close to seeing twins...

Somebody complained about the taillights, I've really begun to like them. They have alot of depth I guess you'd call it, not just a standard looking taillight. I think somebody on another board said they were designed to have an "afterburner" look, I guess I can see that. Whatever they are they should look mean as hell at night on the road:

Last edited by Camaro Fan; 01-14-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Just some random pics (stolen unabashedly from "RyanLT1" on camaroz28.com's boards) that show off less of the nose of the car, so this is a big Mustang clone???

z06vette
    Geez looks like someone touched a few nerves here.Suggestion please take some Prozac.
    Lets see I don't see why anyone has to cut another person down or badmouth because they don't agree with what was written. Yes this is a forum and eveyone has the right to express their views, this one person did that ( not with class) but I won't say anything about that, other than to say it is not needed here.
    Also whne someone references another member here I think they need to not make "veiled" references to them. If you don't have the guts to say who it is, then shut up.
    I love some of the images that have been shown here ( the orange car is a beauty) of other concept Camaros but what they came up with in the latest release is IMHO not what is needed. It does look like an Escalade. My whole point is that GM has idiots running the company and they do not have a clue how to sell and make cars that peopole want. Why else is their stock in the "DUMP" basket? While I have never like Ford, I have always wished ( going back to the 60's) that GM and Chevrolet specifically would mimc their way of approaching performance cars. To make a point how stupid GM is, one issue of "Corvette" magazine had a large refernce to the stupid Caddylac which used the LS6 engine. Yeah that is in the same class as a Z06. Worse yet GM does not seem to understand how racing influences the buying public, particularly the iamge that the company has. Ford races, well they race Ford, not Mercury, not Lincoln. GM Hmm they spread out in various racing circles to Pontiac, Caddylac, and Chevy. But what powers the cars? CHEVROLET!!! A couple of years ago they raced in the GTP category , a Pontiac, whihc weeks before had a "Chevrolet" banner on the window. No changes except the decal. Now what makes that car suddenly a "Pontiac"? It is powered by a Chevy engine. In the good old days of Can-Am and F/5000 the cars were named by the chassis manufacturer and the engine, like it should be. GM needs to go back to business school plain and simple, and fire the bean counters.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1994 Z28

I liked it.

I agree they need a LS7 option or maybe a beefier LS2, as far as styling goes, the picture of the red one from the Popular Hotrodding mag was my favorite. The concept looks good to. I don't think it will bomb. I have every intension on trying my best to get one if they are produced. For those of you that don't care for it, think about it this way, you have what you feel is the best. I sure do like my 4th gens really well. Who cares what I think. I am happy to see they are considering bringing it back.

lee1rbc
    The car is growing on me. I think as soon as I see one on the road I will be dreaming of one in my drive.

I think if GM was smart they would offer a 23K Z28. They could do this by using the 5.3 LS4, same as (monte Carlo , Impala , Grand Prix Caddy etc) and in the SS Camaro they could offer a 425hp LS2 and a bigger price tag. If the new Camaro is more then the Mustang GT in price it will fail again. The avg joe doesnt know the difference between an LS4 to LS2, they just here V8 and price, thats why Mustang outsold Camaro.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Ugly! Ugly! Extremely ugly! I'm sick of all these retro crap vehicles coming out and now Chevy is going to follow (instead of lead) and go backwards with a much less aerodynamic and boxy design? C'mon. It took how many years to come up with that crap?! Even worse is the view from the interior with those tiny sawed-off windows. I will not buy one. I'll just get a Z06 Vette.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by runnerdon
    Well, there certainly is a lot of emotion about the new Camaro concept car. I think that it is important to remember that how a car looks to each of us is purely subjective. We would all be driving the same car, same color, if we all had exactly the same tastes. So, I don't think it does any good to start swearing at someone who disagrees with your particular taste or my particular taste. That's just the way life is.

Some of us love the concept, some of us dislike it, including myself. I count myself as one of those that prefers any of the previous sketches I have seen to the actual concept car. Since Chevrolet built the concept car to gauge public reaction, that's exactly what is happening. I don't think anyone here at ls1.com is trying to tell Chevy NOT to bring back the Camaro; instead, we are all trying to give them our particular takes on the concept in order for them to evaluate them and decide on what the production car will look like. As for me, if it turns out very similar to the concept car, fine, I will give it a chance and try to appreciate it for what it is.

So, let's all try to be polite to one another. We all want the Camaro to return, we just have different wishes as to what it will be.
    Where was anyone "swearing" at each other? We'er just posting our opinions.

Rob

1999 Chevy Camaro

Looks too much like twins for my taste !

Rob

sonnyred
    I once said i liked it ,but that was a mistake.I love it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information