Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new camaro detroit auto show

Said the Detroit free press. production version likely.
    Photo in paper looks cool.

Hotrod
    This is what was on cnn.com:

GM rolls out Chevrolet Camaro concept
    Muscular-looking car modeled after 1969 classic.
    January 9, 2006; Posted: 12:30 p.m. EST (1730 GMT)

DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) - People thought American two-door performance cars were dead. The Chevrolet Camaro and the Pontiac Firebird went out of production in 2003. That left just the Mustang hanging on.

It's not hanging on anymore. With its 2005 redesign, the Mustang has taken off, selling like it did in 1964 when it was first introduced.

Now the ghosts are revving their engines. Yesterday, the Dodge Challenger, in modern concept-car form, was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. Today, it was the Camaro.

Ever since the new Mustang was released, General Motors executives have been saying they wanted to compete. So far, these are only concepts but each could be produced with a few changes.

The Camaro concept rolled out onto the show floor at the North American International Auto Show, better known as the Detroit Auto Show, this morning.

Like the Dodge Challenger concept, which was revealed on Sunday, the Camaro follows the Mustang's lead in taking its design cues straight from the classics of the late 1960s and early '70s.

"The fact that the Camaro has been out of production for a number of years made it particularly important that the Camaro Concept honors the Camaro heritage in the right way," said Bob Boniface, director of GM's Warren Advanced Design Studio,

The 2006 concept was particularly inspired by the 1969 version of the Camaro.

"The overall proportions, long hood and powerful fender forms say, 'This is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive performance vehicle,' " said Tom Peters, GM's design director for rear-wheel drive performance cars.

The concept car has a prominent front grille and hood bulge. Large wheels (the front wheels are 21 inches in diameter and the back wheels are 22 inches), exposed high-performance brakes, and prominent fender shapes add to the "muscle car" theme.

Under the hood, the concept Camaro shares an aluminum 6.0-liter engine with the Chevrolet Corvette C6 race car.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

needs some work in my opinion. the top front end (and grill) of a chevy impala and the bottom front end of a mustang cobra is not paying 'heritage the right' to the 69 Camaro as said by Bob Boniface, director of GM's Warren Advanced Design Studio.

where are the hood louvers like the 69 had yes i know 'SS' package. My father has a 69' SS vert, my bro has a '96 SS vert, and i have a '00 SS coupe, so this new design will run deep in my family as i hope it will in all F-Body owners!!!

how bout that 6.0 liter engine??!!! yummy!!!

maroon
    2001 Z28

when the fuck was this on t.v.?? I did a channel search and came up empty, damn it!!!

Red
    02' Z28 M6

This car is a joke, I am clearly disappointed with it, where does it resemble a camaro? Maybe only with the the instrument cluster (round/sunken 1st gen), that front end, of all eras, they pick the 70's when the camaro was at it's ugliest, then the rear quarters, hood, roof, spoiler, rear clip......can you say CTS!!!!!!!! GM, drops the ball again, think they would of learned with the GTO....Sorry to say, Ford got it, Chrysler got it with the new Challenger (NOT Charger). The only way the car will be good is if it is sold with the LS7 motor...and yes, lighter?????

In yo' hood up to no good

1 of 122 Blk A4 WS6 Verts
    1999 T/A WS6 Vert A4

That front end is as close as you can get to a 69 Z/28 without coping it excatly. In fact the whole car is a modern 1969 Z/28. Nothing in that concept looks close to a second gen F-body (the 70's Camaro).

The Rookie
    I liked this concept better

Red
    02' Z28 M6

I agree, that car does need some space, but still, right on the money in retro. Either do the retro right, or name it something else.....like a CTS-V-Z....Funny thing is, that I have owned 5 Camaro's now 1979 Z28 Black with Orange Sticker kit, 87RS with the 305 V8, 2000 Z, 2001 Z and now I have my 02 Z, so my in-laws know I kinda like them, they flew out to Las Vegas yesterday and called me today just to tell me that they pulled up next to a GM exec that was driving the new camaro, so it really is built, and driveable......they liked it.
    Last edited by 02Z; 01-09-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    I liked this concept better
    That's a car that I'd put my money on. It's not chunky like the Chryslers and it's distinctive looking. You won't get mistaken for a Rustang or a "K car" (remember them?). When I saw the other concept Camaro I realized that GM must have missed firing some of the designers that came up with the Pontiac Aztek.....

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

I'll try to put in some photos so people don't have to look.

Ok, never mind. ls1.com won't let me since I don't have 10 posts. But you can find them on yahoo.

Personally, I think it's gorgeous. But I was never around to see the original, so I don't particularly care about how true of a recreation it is. ls2 is good news. Heck, just knowing the camaro name isn't dead is good news.

SSslow
    where are some real pics

maroon
    2001 Z28

if you don't like it, don't buy one, simple as that. The true die hard fans will be blowing your doors off from light to light. They will have the power to back up the aggressive looks, GM underrates the fbody, so it will have plenty kick in the ass....example: my car rated at 310 hp, put 301 rwhp stock, a little underratted,yes. The new one is said to put 400 the the rear wheels off the show room floor, can't wait to see what the SS will do, or when a tuner (berger/tom henry) gets a hold of one.

yes it will be lighter, it has a smaller/shorter body and will have more power, I love it, and will have one in my garage the 2nd year of production.

legal disaster
    go to the car connection website and look at the detroit auit show 2006 part IX for pics. id post thr url but i guess i dont have a sufficient amount of posts yet. is anybody going to go to the show to check it out? i'll be there next week to see it in person.l think the wheels are too big,gm should put corvette sized wheels on it and lower more like the vette. i think the front needs a nose job, then ontop of the cowl have louvers that help extract hot air from the engine compartment.i personally see the fenders as too boxy and they should curve them a bit to give it a more muscle feel. do you think this model will be offered with the infamous t-tops
    ?.as for the ls2 motor, im definately digging that and would love to see even an ls7 motor in a top end model. i do like the look of the car but certain things definately need to be changed. regardless this car will more than likely be finding a spot in my garage right next to my iroc-z
    Last edited by legal disaster; 01-10-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Necction
    Well there is pictures of it everywhere by now but ill add some to this thread.

SNKSKNR
    Ewww!

SNKSKNR
    I liked the first concept better..

SNKSKNR
    I literally like just threw up!

maroon
    2001 Z28

If you guys even want the camaro name to come back at all, negative comments is not the way to get that done. I know that you are entitled to your opinion, but they are trying to bring the name plate back.....shhheeeshhhh give'em a break.

Red
    02' Z28 M6

first off, blowing my doors light to light, sounds personal!!!! For your information, the camaro would be equipped with the LS2 (350-360 RWHP) and is currentlt in the GTO. My 02 will beat the 05 gto and very little mods. Plus do you really think that car will be less than 3450 pounds, doubt it.

Die hard fan.....hmmm

1979 Z28
    1987 RS
    2000 Z
    2001 Z
    2002 Z (purchased after 2 previous lemon Z's were bought back) If that isn't loyal, I do not knwow what is.
    Last edited by 02Z; 01-11-2006 at 04:47 AM.

Necction
    People are stupid, first of all this is a concept which is going to undergo many changes before its released, if its released. And second of all GM said that the only way they ll release it is if they get positive feedback. Now everyone bashing it is just going to get GM to trash it altogether. And third of all if it does get released they will always make further changes later down the line. So quit your bitching, doesnt matter what they made it look like someone would complain.

Thread Information